1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

1 hour ago, Golfman said:

Yes, but I do not think we invested in all these EDGE rushers in hopes our secondary would 'cover a split second longer' so they can get home. I'm thinking the thought was the opposite of that. The pressure would get there so they didn't have to cover as long. 

I think we invested all of that money to improve our defense. My point is more that in football coverage affects pass rush more than the other way around, especially when you’re playing against QBs who get rid of it in 2 seconds. Is your point that you believe our edge isn’t improved?

3 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

He was treating Jackson like a make a wish kid scoring a TD in practice. 

I tell ya, JWill is looking old... I hope it's just preseason stuff, but I thought he kinda looked that way last year.

1 hour ago, Fl0nkerton said:

I know people were upset at Gary's effort on a few plays against Baltimore, but check out Kenny Clark on the Lamar Jackson scamper that made us look silly:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BlindCourteousHummingbird-mobile.mp4

I know Kenny Clark can play and plays with great effort in the regular season. 

I can't say either of those things about Gary. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I know Kenny Clark can play and plays with great effort in the regular season. 

I can't say either of those things about Gary. 

Completely agree. KC has at least earned it to ease up in PS. Could have been a business decision knowing he's gonna get paid soon, but it's still not a great look on film.

2 hours ago, deathstar said:

I think we invested all of that money to improve our defense. My point is more that in football coverage affects pass rush more than the other way around, especially when you’re playing against QBs who get rid of it in 2 seconds. Is your point that you believe our edge isn’t improved?

My point is it does not seem to be as improved in the pass rush area as many hoped/thought it would be. 

1 hour ago, Fl0nkerton said:

I know people were upset at Gary's effort on a few plays against Baltimore, but check out Kenny Clark on the Lamar Jackson scamper that made us look silly:

That's hilarious... Starters playing in preseason, ain't it great!

Again, this is fantastic, but Woodson's preseason tape was even better... He just couldn't be bothered.

Imagine thinking that preseason was a good measure of a team in any capacity.  You can tell literally nothing about how a team of starters will play together as a unit from watching a few series made up of patchwork players and guys getting their first real snaps since 2018.

• Like 2

Yep, other than young and fringe players, there is no real point to going all out in these preseason games. Starting to remind me of the lack of effort in the pro bowl. That **** ain't FOOTBALL. It's only a matter of time before the league cuts down on these PS games. 

*wanted to add, I do not blame any of these proven players who aren't going full out. This is a business. 

Edited by ReadyToThump

On 8/19/2019 at 2:10 PM, Fl0nkerton said:

Makes Gary look like he’s playing with his hair on fire 🤣

Thanks for the perspective though. People just watching Gary’s every move and highlighting whatever they can find wrong.

• Like 1

I"m watching his moves....and I would like for him to actually show up in a stat line someday.

Other rookies are producing around the league.

Given what we've heard of Gary in camp...and in the gym...and from what we've seen after he dropped some weight, I would think that some of it needs to translate to the field.

To me, it is very odd that it hasn't.

I'm going to give him a very long leash.  As in 2 years.  But, given the encouraging signs early?  I expected more from him on the field than what we have gotten.

11 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I"m watching his moves....and I would like for him to actually show up in a stat line someday.

Other rookies are producing around the league.

Given what we've heard of Gary in camp...and in the gym...and from what we've seen after he dropped some weight, I would think that some of it needs to translate to the field.

To me, it is very odd that it hasn't.

I'm going to give him a very long leash.  As in 2 years.  But, given the encouraging signs early?  I expected more from him on the field than what we have gotten.

I think one problem is the QBs he has faced up to this point. None of the QBs are pocket passers and I also don't recall hardly any 3rd and longs in either game for our pass rushers to really do much. Too many 3rd and shorts mixed with mobile QBs will make it hard to rack of the stats. 

Plus we all knew Gary was raw and i'm not that surprised that he isn't having the greatest first preseason in the NFL. If he does the same next year I will start getting concerned. Give him a year to sit most of the time and learn. 

Edited by Spartacus
  • Like 1