1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

16 minutes ago, 86Capers said:

Not sure where I should post this, but Brian Burns has four sacks so far this preseason. I hope Gary becomes an absolute stud and proves me wrong, but I have a feeling this one’s gonna hurt.

I hate not getting preseason sacks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Gary isn't going to have a great season until he develops some counter moves. Literally has a bull rush and that's it. I focused on him alone for his reps, bull rush every time. He did stunt for the first time, pushed the pocket and caused an incompletion. 

He'll make an impact this year in 2 ways. He's going to be just about unblockable on stunts, and we'll certainly have him at 3T in some nickel packages and he'll win by beating a guard off the ball. He'll get an occasional bull rush win as an EDGE, but he's not ready to be a force there. Smith better see the need for more pitches in his pass rush offering or he'll bust. No reason he can't have a spin, swim, outside/in, etc.. the only thing I don't think he'll have is a one arm stab into running the arc. After seeing him in person now, he's not fluid enough. At 6'5 275 if he was fluid enough to do that you'd be talking about a GOAT potential pass rusher because he sure as hell is explosive and blessed when it comes to the movement skills. Hips are a bit tight though.

Good informative post. Thanks. Question though - who's "Smith?"

A coach (?) or did you slip a reference to Preston Smith in there?

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Gary isn't going to have a great season until he develops some counter moves. Literally has a bull rush and that's it. I focused on him alone for his reps, bull rush every time. He did stunt for the first time, pushed the pocket and caused an incompletion. 

He'll make an impact this year in 2 ways. He's going to be just about unblockable on stunts, and we'll certainly have him at 3T in some nickel packages and he'll win by beating a guard off the ball. He'll get an occasional bull rush win as an EDGE, but he's not ready to be a force there. Smith better see the need for more pitches in his pass rush offering or he'll bust. No reason he can't have a spin, swim, outside/in, etc.. the only thing I don't think he'll have is a one arm stab into running the arc. After seeing him in person now, he's not fluid enough. At 6'5 275 if he was fluid enough to do that you'd be talking about a GOAT potential pass rusher because he sure as hell is explosive and blessed when it comes to the movement skills. Hips are a bit tight though.

is there anyway to grease those hips up a bit?

44 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

No, and you don't really need it when you have as much talent as he does. He just needs some damn countermoves.

I saw the same thing.  No counters.  Pre-determined pass rushes.

I did really like his stunt, he moves very, very well for someone that large.

I was ready for him to show up big in pre-season based on what was written about him in camp, but that just hasn't materialized.

Gonna take him a year or so to really get it, I think.

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I was ready for him to show up big in pre-season based on what was written about him in camp, but that just hasn't materialized.

That was always the case I think. I think people just got their hopes up over the TC fluff pieces that get pushed out every year. 

I mean, if you recall Pettine's defenses under Rex in New York- they never had a huge sack presence but nonetheless had great defensive units (#1, #3, #5, and #8 in his years there).  It's entirely likely what Pettine is looking for is more about push and pressure than little guys who produce sacks but can be easily taken out of plays.

But "Gary's going to take some time" was always true.  Good thing they spent an incredible amount of money on two other guys to play his position.

37 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

1-1's don't really translate for the defense. IMO they should make all 5 OL kickstep back like they would on a play and then let the 1-1 matchup occur. Just having one guy drop creates so much space that doesn't actually exist in a play.

15 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'll settle for a move at this point.

Tell you what, if I'm a top HS DL, last school I'm going to is Michigan. Sad how raw he came out when he was a 2 year starter and had a RS year.

They totally used him to win games and have a better defense without giving a damn about his personal development.

12 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Tell you what, if I'm a top HS DL, last school I'm going to is Michigan. Sad how raw he came out when he was a 2 year starter and had a RS year.

They totally used him to win games and have a better defense without giving a damn about his personal development.

Serious question: Are there other college football programs that focus more on developing players' skills rather than winning games? 

5 minutes ago, Greg C. said:

Serious question: Are there other college football programs that focus more on developing players' skills rather than winning games? 

Most schools don't, but most would look at a talent like Rashan and develop him to be a beast of a pass rusher, like Clemson does, for Ferrell's lack of athletic traits, he's extremely polished. Michigan decided they could be more productive using him as a double team eater for whatever reason. Total waste. That's why he was the #12 pick and not a top 5 pick. His Combine with good college production is at worst the 5th pick in the draft, he's on the same athletic scale as Clowney and Garrett, just a bit bigger framed and much less productive in school.