1[21]: Darnell Savage [S; Maryland]

CWood21

8 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Every time I get asked this question by my cousins or people I correct, I tell them the same thing. 

It's a big deal because the world is full of people who judge others, and that judgment can impact your life.  Go into an interview saying things like, "Let me axe you a question," or, "I seen that you offer dental," or any number of other cringe-worthy grammatical gaffs and it could effect whether or not you get it. 

Also, I never understood how people can be so little and offended as to not appreciate being corrected.  If I have a booger hanging out my nose, I want someone to tell me.  If I'm saying something incorrectly, I want someone to tell me. 

I see hatred of grammar Nazis as people being content with being wrong and lesser than they could be. 

If you're not getting better, smarter, stronger than you were the day before, you're getting worse, and for people like myself who strive to become better people, it's insulting when someone can't understand the difference between seen, saw, your, you're, their, they're, there, ask, axe and a whole host of other things that are supremely easy fixes.  I'm not asking people to be able to learn calculus or political science or know how to write a perfect essay.  Certain things take time.  I consider myself to suck at math, but at the same time I can still do basic algebra.  Just as I wouldn't expect everyone to know the capitals of every state, I think it's important for people to have a general idea where North America, South America, Antarctica, Asia, Australia, Europe and Australia are.  The same is true for grammar and speech. 

I know that sounds wildly elitist and arrogant, but when I correct someone's grammar, it truly is an attempt to help them.  If I don't correct someone's grammar it's because I literally could not care less about them.  Same way I'd let someone I didn't like walk around with a booger hanging out their nose all day. 

Oh. Well, IMHO there's a difference between an accent ask/axe and grammatical errors, i.e., I should of gone, instead of I should have gone. I used to give my students two typos/grammatical errors before returning their papers for revision. I never questioned their accents in class.

15 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Trailer Park Boys was one of my all time favorite shows, man.  Used to laugh so hard I’d almost piss my pants.  Ricky and Bubbles made that show great.  Mr. Lahey was pretty special too!

I would have never guessed you liked that show ;)

RIP Lahey. I was him for Halloween once. Good times. 

• Like 1