2018 NFL Draft - The Home Stretch

swede700

2 hours ago, solidvikingfan said:

One thing I feel gets overlooked at DT and I'd like to hear from others but who do we have to backup Linval should an injury occur?

I don't personally feel that is very ideal for Jaleel Johnson and almost every talk is so focused on Richardson insurance even though I think we're already covered there.

IMO DE is a higher priority and we should find a third day DT to provide in case of injury depth for Linval.

I want to keep Johnson as Richardson's backup. Could definitely see a NT type drafted to replace Shamar Stephen.

6 hours ago, Klomp said:

I'm curious about this statement (especially the bolded). Makes it sound like this isn't only because of what you see on the field. What part about him off the football field would make you not draft him in the first? 

Correct. Much of it is based off of what I read from sources that I have found to be credible. However, I did watch three games (not complete just the draft breakdown version) to see what I thought too.

There is nothing about him off the football field that would make me not draft him first. In fact, he seems a lot better off the field than on the field. He seems football smart off the field, but then he gets on the field and it doesn't translate. He doesn't play smart football.

As far as Wyoming doing better lately, Allen certainly is a part of that. He is a better QB than they have had. They have not had any other QB that I would consider in the second or third round of a draft. Before I go further I should warn you that I am a big North Dakota State fan. I warn you of that because my argument would be that the improvement in their record has a lot more to do with coach Bohl than Josh Allen. I think Bohl is a fantastic coach. I have a lot of respect for him as a coach from his time with NDSU. Losing him hurt NDSU. If Bohl still coached the Bison I think that I would have been watching NDSU beating Youngstown state in the championship game last January instead of watching James Madison beat Youngstown State. It would have been a lot better trip down to Texas that year if Bohl was still coaching the team.

I think that Wyoming will do just fine going forward without Josh Allen as long as they hold onto coach Bohl.

7 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

Correct. Much of it is based off of what I read from sources that I have found to be credible. However, I did watch three games (not complete just the draft breakdown version) to see what I thought too.

There is nothing about him off the football field that would make me not draft him first. In fact, he seems a lot better off the field than on the field. He seems football smart off the field, but then he gets on the field and it doesn't translate. He doesn't play smart football.

As far as Wyoming doing better lately, Allen certainly is a part of that. He is a better QB than they have had. They have not had any other QB that I would consider in the second or third round of a draft. Before I go further I should warn you that I am a big North Dakota State fan. I warn you of that because my argument would be that the improvement in their record has a lot more to do with coach Bohl than Josh Allen. I think Bohl is a fantastic coach. I have a lot of respect for him as a coach from his time with NDSU. Losing him hurt NDSU. If Bohl still coached the Bison I think that I would have been watching NDSU beating Youngstown state in the championship game last January instead of watching James Madison beat Youngstown State. It would have been a lot better trip down to Texas that year if Bohl was still coaching the team.

I think that Wyoming will do just fine going forward without Josh Allen as long as they hold onto coach Bohl.

Sorry to hear. Can't imagine watching my team only win 6 out of the last 7 championships. Must be rough!

1 hour ago, vikestyle said:

Sorry to hear. Can't imagine watching my team only win 6 out of the last 7 championships. Must be rough!

:P

But I didn't even get down to the championship game the first two times so I only got to see the team win four of them :P

Point being, Coach Bohl knows how to build up a winning program. He is trying to rebuild in Wyoming what he built up at North Dakota State. The QB is only a piece of that. Coach Bohl was winning with Brock Jensen at QB a lot more than with Carson Wentz. Allen may look more like Wentz but he plays more like Jensen IMO -- just with a stronger arm.

1 hour ago, NoDakViking said:

I think Kendrick Norton from Miami would be a good backup for Linval

They could also go to the same well that Stephen came from and draft Folorunso Fatukasi (how could we Americanize that name?  Phil?) or take a flyer on Reggie McKenzie's son.  

29 minutes ago, rusty28264 said:

How would everyone feel if we took Mike McGlinchey or Connor Williams in the first and took an interior lineman in the second if one of the top guys falls like Billy Price?

If the value is good, it wouldn't be the worst thing. Though I think the Vikes need to invest early on defense, just to get out ahead of the potential losses next year.

42 minutes ago, rusty28264 said:

How would everyone feel if we took Mike McGlinchey or Connor Williams in the first and took an interior lineman in the second if one of the top guys falls like Billy Price?

Would need to be amazing value to take the second OL man. I'd prefer to take an equally top defender that fell.

2 hours ago, rusty28264 said:

I'm guessing the answer to that question depends on each person's opinion of Nick Easton and/or Mike Remmers.

Would it be horrible? Probably not. Would they be two value picks? Yes. Would it be the best use of our resources? That's unknown.

On 4/19/2018 at 9:37 PM, vikingsrule said:

I want to keep Johnson as Richardson's backup. Could definitely see a NT type drafted to replace Shamar Stephen.

I agree. While Jaleel Johnson didn't do much as a rookie, we didn't really ask much from him either. If he stays healthy, I expect him to grow this year and be a capable #3.

We still need depth at that position. I think drafting a mid round NT would help a lot.

12 hours ago, rusty28264 said:

Getting two offensive linemen in the first two rounds would for sure be my ideal scenario but it would be foolish to pass up higher rated talent to force it. The team pretty much needs to take two offensive linemen in this draft and should be taking them high if there are viable candidates where they are picking. Taking them first and third or second and third wouldn't be too bad.

If there isn't decent offensive line talent in when the Vikings pick high in the draft they'll end up taking another couple David Yankey, WIllie Beavers, or Danny Isidora types after the third. For how many years can a GM leave the same position group as the weakest on the team and get away with it? I suppose if they keep winning on the strength of other positions it will slide but Spielman's inability to fix the offensive line is mind boggling. It is at the level of Denny Green's inability to address the defense during his time in MN.

Archived