2018 NFL Draft - The Home Stretch

swede700

It's not perfect across the board, but last night a comparison that came to me for Josh Allen was Daunte Culpepper. Again, it's not perfect (4.51 40 :o), but there are parts of their games that I think are similar. Both have high-level arm talent, which could give them some really good seasons. But part of Culpepper's problem was inconsistency, if I remember.

Great in 2000, but went 10-17 with 32 TDs to 36 INTs the next two years. Individual numbers took a giant leap the next two years with 64 TDs to 22 INTs for a .500 team

A lot is talked about the depth of the runningback class this year, but it looks to be an excellent year at corner as well. With uncertainty of the futures of Waynes, Alexander, and Newman, it would behoove the team to take a corner sometime during the draft. It doesn't have to be high, because it appears there could be some good ones in the middle rounds. Current aggregate rankings for corners out of the top 100

10. Denzel Ward
17. Josh Jackson
18. Jaire Alexander
29. Mike Hughes
30. Isaiah Oliver
46. Donte Jackson
48. Carlton Davis
61. Duke Dawson
74. Holton Hill
90. MJ Stewart
95. Quenton Meeks
96. Isaac Yiadom
98. Anthony Averett

Extend that to the top 175...

105. DJ Reed
133. Tarvarus McFadden
142. Nick Nelson
151. Parry Nickerson
163. JC Jackson
174. Avonte Maddox

Connor Williams has become my (semi-realistic) dream pick at 30. I just doubt he will be there at 30 due to lack of great OT prospects.

Young (20), athletic (top 78% of NFL OL in SPARQ), started at LT at Texas starting as a true freshman, multiple academic awards...

I'd put him at LT, move Reiff to RT, move Remmers to RG. ----> Williams / Easton / Elflein / Remmers / Reiff

40 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Williams / Easton / Elflein / Remmers / Reiff

I actually would not mind this. Reiff did do fairly well at LT but putting him back at RT would make that side of the line very strong. 

What would worry my is that left side. I am a bigger fan of Easton than most, but he still would remain the weak link. And it would be a very raw left side of the line which is still protecting Cousins blind side. 

5 hours ago, Klomp said:

It's not perfect across the board, but last night a comparison that came to me for Josh Allen was Daunte Culpepper. Again, it's not perfect (4.51 40 :o), but there are parts of their games that I think are similar. Both have high-level arm talent, which could give them some really good seasons. But part of Culpepper's problem was inconsistency, if I remember.

Great in 2000, but went 10-17 with 32 TDs to 36 INTs the next two years. Individual numbers took a giant leap the next two years with 64 TDs to 22 INTs for a .500 team

Very glad to see someone else shares this comparison with me. I'm more pessimistic on Allen than you are regarding his future, but his style of play and Culpepper's are almost the exact same. If he takes a step forward, major if there, he can be 2004 Culpepper for multiple years. If not, he'll be like the Culpepper that started for Miami and the Lions after his knee exploded, at best.

Haven't change my prediction:

I think it's a deep CB class, and the medium of the first CB tier fall down the board (as other teams address other needs & look to add CB in 2nd\3rd), & could be scooped up by the Vikings at #30

If I had to choose one prospect that I think will be there & taken it'll be Josh Jackson or Connor Williams. I really like Wynn but he could easily go earlier.

2 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Haven't change my prediction:

I think it's a deep CB class, and the medium of the first CB tier fall down the board (as other teams address other needs & look to add CB in 2nd\3rd), & could be scooped up by the Vikings at #30

If I had to choose one prospect that I think will be there & taken it'll be Josh Jackson or Connor Williams. I really like Wynn but he could easily go earlier.

I agree CB would be nice and we really need a 4th solid CB, Newman I feel is washed up and was surprised they signed Sherels again so that makes me think no way they go CB in the 1st, honestly Reid at safety would be a better pick potentially but will see.  If it is corner,  Joshua Jackson will be gone to the Cardinals, Seattle or Dallas or a number of other teams.  It is far more realistic for the Vikings to get Donte Jackson late 1st or Carlton Davis or Mike Hughes.  Hughes would have been great as a return man also potentially, so again odd they signed Sherels but he is a good locker room guy I guess.  

If they get a corner it is later than the 1st pick I think.  They have to go OL and sure the dream would be Connor Williams but I would be fine with Kolton Miller as well or James Daniels but not sure Eflein can play guard well enough but he did ok in college at OG.  Would be great if they got Frank Ragnow in the 2nd as well for a local guy if they are thinking of moving Eflein to guard.  Hernandez I would be fine with also, and Wynn not totally sold on him as a OG, not really sure he is even a better OG prospect than Braden Smith of Auburn who I would take over Wynn.  

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I agree CB would be nice and we really need a 4th solid CB, Newman I feel is washed up and was surprised they signed Sherels again so that makes me think no way they go CB in the 1st, honestly Reid at safety would be a better pick potentially but will see.  If it is corner,  Joshua Jackson will be gone to the Cardinals, Seattle or Dallas or a number of other teams.  It is far more realistic for the Vikings to get Donte Jackson late 1st or Carlton Davis or Mike Hughes.  Hughes would have been great as a return man also potentially, so again odd they signed Sherels but he is a good locker room guy I guess.  

If they get a corner it is later than the 1st pick I think.  They have to go OL and sure the dream would be Connor Williams but I would be fine with Kolton Miller as well or James Daniels but not sure Eflein can play guard well enough but he did ok in college at OG.  Would be great if they got Frank Ragnow in the 2nd as well for a local guy if they are thinking of moving Eflein to guard.  Hernandez I would be fine with also, and Wynn not totally sold on him as a OG, not really sure he is even a better OG prospect than Braden Smith of Auburn who I would take over Wynn.  

Is that because you like Smith that much or really don't like Wynn? And would you actually take Smith in the 1st?

1 minute ago, vikestyle said:

Is that because you like Smith that much or really don't like Wynn? And would you actually take Smith in the 1st?

Smith to me is not a 1st round prospect, a solid 2nd rounder potentially.  I just do not like Wynn's frame, seems to have very skinny legs and throughout his earlier career I thought he never really stood out.  Sure played ok this year and projecting him to guard at the next level but not sure I like his build for that position and does not help he could not work out at the combine or pro day either because of injury.

4 hours ago, Robbroy45 said:

Very glad to see someone else shares this comparison with me. I'm more pessimistic on Allen than you are regarding his future, but his style of play and Culpepper's are almost the exact same. If he takes a step forward, major if there, he can be 2004 Culpepper for multiple years. If not, he'll be like the Culpepper that started for Miami and the Lions after his knee exploded, at best.

Culpepper still ended up as the second-best QB from that draft class which saw five go in the top 12 including each of the top three picks.

I'm just saying....

Archived