If you could alter one event in history.

O'Doyle Rules

I'd like to see what would happen if Jordan didn't win one of his finals. If he went 5-1. Would he still be considered the goat? What if he got smashed in one of them and got swept? The casual fans would no longer be able to point to 6-0 as the be all end all and there could be legitimate conversation who the goat is. 

Magic Johnson never getting Aids and needing to take time off for his health.

Kobe & Shaq not beefing to the point that they split up the team.

Durant and Westbrook not crapping the bed when up 3-1 vs the Warriors to head to the Finals vs Cleveland.

Greg Oden actually being healthy instead of out of the league within 3 years.

LeBron James staying in Miami instead of coming back to Cleveland.

7 hours ago, iothar said:

Am I the only one who thinks Tmac might have been more disappointing had he stayed healthy? Just one less excuse for an all time talent.

How so? Like more first round exits or something else?

18 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

How so? Like more first round exits or something else?

Just with injuries we have these built in excuses. He would have played more but his lack of practice and taking life seriously just made me so mad. I look back on him now as an injury plagued and lack of practice career.

Texas A&M not blowing a 34 point lead....oh wait basketball thread. 

Gordon Hayward hits that half court shot to beat Duke in the NCAA finals. It would have been epic. 

Shaq bricking "the dunk". It would have gone from his hall of fame moment to a Shaqin a fool moment. 

Kryie Irving misses that 3 and the warriors win 3 straight. It's nice to see a city like Cleveland win a championship but it's ruined at 6 peat that the warriors have going. 

23 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I'd like to see what would happen if Jordan didn't win one of his finals. If he went 5-1. Would he still be considered the goat? What if he got smashed in one of them and got swept? The casual fans would no longer be able to point to 6-0 as the be all end all and there could be legitimate conversation who the goat is. 

+1 ^

28 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Texas A&M not blowing a 34 point lead....oh wait basketball thread. 

Gordon Hayward hits that half court shot to beat Duke in the NCAA finals. It would have been epic. 

Shaq bricking "the dunk". It would have gone from his hall of fame moment to a Shaqin a fool moment. 

Kryie Irving misses that 3 and the warriors win 3 straight. It's nice to see a city like Cleveland win a championship but it's ruined at 6 peat that the warriors have going. 

All the above, BUT if Kyrie hits that shot, KD does not join the Warriors. So 3 straight may not have happened.

58 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

All the above, BUT if Kyrie hits that shot, KD does not join the Warriors. So 3 straight may not have happened.

I dont think the Irving shot had anything to do with KD going to the warriors. The warriors would have still been interested and KD would have still be interested, if not more so. 

Even without KD the Warriors would have been favorites to win a title this year, they just wouldnt have been unbeatable. 

It does bring up a huge What If game for the first warriors title. Games 1 and 2 against the Rockets were very close, with the rockets missing some 2 starters with injuries. Then they went to finals against a really banged up Cavs team. In the end it probably doesnt matter, at least against the rockets, but the Cavs proved the following year they could beat the warriors.....but then it begs the question if Steph Curry doesnt get hurt in 2016 do the warriors win the finals then too.

On 9/3/2017 at 1:18 AM, JohnChimpo said:

My first thought was Jordan never retiring to play baseball, but then I thought of something I had never thought of before. What if he had just stayed retired?

- Might Shaq and Penny have won a title in Orlando and both stayed longer? If so, what would have happened to the Lakers? Kobe?

- Might Stockton and Malone have won a title?

It would have had a huge ripple effect on the league.

Also, while the Bulls probably don't win any more titles, they also probably don't fall off the cliff starting in 99 because Krause would have had more freedom to make moves to keep the Bulls competitive. 

Just call it '90s nostalgia:

*Shaq stays in Orlando with a healthy Penny Hardaway.

*Patrick Ewing and pretty much the entire Knicks roster not getting suspended for the brawl vs. the Heat. After the Knicks win the series (they would have), do they win it all?

*Magic never gets HIV

*Bird never injures his back

*The NBA never changes the old school basketball rules (hard fouls/flagrants/hand checking/illegal defense/defensive 3 seconds)

Archived