Week 1 GDT: Stillers at Da Brahnz

LETSGOBROWNIES

2 hours ago, matt27j said:

I was glad that we showed the same things as in preseason. Good D and resiliency. Those are going to lead to wins. So many plays could have influenced the outcome, but if not for a hail mary to AB or if Ogbah could of altered Ben's throw the offense would have the momentum to go win the game. 

I'd like to say that if Kasen Williams stays inbounds, Kizer doesn't throw the INT, doesn't overthrow Duke, Jamar dropping INT, no blocked punt that this would have been a win easily. Steelers could have started throwing more downfield though so who knows. Still the D holding them to 14 w/o Myles is good execution and game plan. The one all out blitz the resulted in AB PI a blitzer up the middle was held and he could have altered the throw. 

Really needed Myles towards the end of the halves when guys were tired and we couldn't blitz cuz of the spread. 

Njoku making some catches was good to see. Also playing Eifert role down the seem in RZ. Corey Coleman is a tough WR and is showin up. OL did have some nice run blocking eventually. Britt...

Definitely reason for optimism because of our defensive play and Kizer having some big drives at important times, but Pitt's DBs are meh, as seen by Haden getting smoked deep by everyone. Baltimore's pass D is a couple notches above but their offense may be a couple notches below Pit. Kizer showed he can learn within a game. I liked that he stayed safe and took the sacks instead of turning it over. Then in the 4th he started checking down and threw it out the back of the end zone. 

Kizer is the crux in games like these where we have to come from behind. He responded though and that's the best part. Peppers is equally important on D since he is the lone ranger back there[gotta get AB down though and that catch and run]. Myles is icing on the cake when he gets back. They all got plenty to learn but they are also already better than any we had at their positions last year and they got the football IQ to learn quickly from their mistakes. 

In BAL is very challenging, but with the way the team responded to the start of the game and the past week in general I think they are going to be ready. Hopefully the defense can put us ahead or keep it within a score all game so that we can be running the ball in the 4th. Then we will see the right side of that OL paying off. 

Go Browns 

Williams went out of bounds because the pass was off ....if it was more accurately thrown that's 6, no question.  Our run-blocking was awful, pure and simple, just like the preseason.  And Ben and AB have made careers eating our lunch.  

That said, I agree with most that there's reason for optimism here.  We're the youngest team in the NFL and 3 or 4 plays were the difference (but thats the NFL, a handful of plays are always the difference)  Essentially we're a CB, WR and a RB away from making some serious noise.  Kizer is a rookie, but the kids got a ton of potential....that arm is for real.  Hopefully he'll continue to improve, the line will gel in blocking, maybe Wilson shows something when he comes back mid-season.  IF Gordon can return, that'd be huge - but i doubt the team has any faith in him for that.  Fans might, but they likely do not.  I started the summer by thinking we'd win 3 or 4 but be competitive most of the time; now I'm thinking that if they made a trade or two, we can do more damage than that.  Lots of positives, lots of em.  

45 minutes ago, StewieRules said:

Williams went out of bounds because the pass was off ....if it was more accurately thrown that's 6, no question.  Our run-blocking was awful, pure and simple, just like the preseason.  And Ben and AB have made careers eating our lunch.  

That said, I agree with most that there's reason for optimism here.  We're the youngest team in the NFL and 3 or 4 plays were the difference (but thats the NFL, a handful of plays are always the difference)  Essentially we're a CB, WR and a RB away from making some serious noise.  Kizer is a rookie, but the kids got a ton of potential....that arm is for real.  Hopefully he'll continue to improve, the line will gel in blocking, maybe Wilson shows something when he comes back mid-season.  IF Gordon can return, that'd be huge - but i doubt the team has any faith in him for that.  Fans might, but they likely do not.  I started the summer by thinking we'd win 3 or 4 but be competitive most of the time; now I'm thinking that if they made a trade or two, we can do more damage than that.  Lots of positives, lots of em.  

Williams should of caught that he went out  of bounds because he lost where he was in relation to the sideline. It was very catchable 

4 minutes ago, hornbybrown said:

Williams should of caught that he went out  of bounds because he lost where he was in relation to the sideline. It was very catchable 

He would have had to have made an acrobatic catch the top #1's in the league probably catch it and tap their feet in bounds but it shouldn't be expected by anyone on our roster. Kizer missed on some throws, the wide open Duke going down the sideline was probably the worst. He will be frustrating to watch but as long as he progresses and keeps us in games we'll stay on board.

8 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

He would have had to have made an acrobatic catch the top #1's in the league probably catch it and tap their feet in bounds but it shouldn't be expected by anyone on our roster. Kizer missed on some throws, the wide open Duke going down the sideline was probably the worst. He will be frustrating to watch but as long as he progresses and keeps us in games we'll stay on board.

Williams was barely out of bounds if I remember correctly.  It definitely wasn't a simple pitch and catch but you expect them to be cognizant of where they are on the field. 

I expect growth from everyone from now to the end of the season. They need Kizer to get rid of the ball before he is bruised battered and broken before the bye. 

There weren't any big sacks on Kizer, the biggest hit he took was on a run by shazeir. Next week he will not get sacked as much and will hit more check downs. He will also of practiced more with our receivers. I think our line will improve next week also as they develop together. 

I think Kizer will be a franchise QB if we put a team around him. What we really need is another WR or two. 

3 minutes ago, OttoGrahamsGhost said:

Williams was barely out of bounds if I remember correctly.  It definitely wasn't a simple pitch and catch but you expect them to be cognizant of where they are on the field. 

I expect growth from everyone from now to the end of the season. They need Kizer to get rid of the ball before he is bruised battered and broken before the bye. 

Well the issue was that he had to go towards the sideline while tracking the ball. If his route was right on the sideline he would know where he was but he was 5 yards in and the pass was just off and he had to drift to catch the ball. The throw was just a little off but a lot of times that is all it takes, can be the difference between a catch and a pick. We all knew Kizer was inconstant when we drafted him, he is a work in progress.

3 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

There weren't any big sacks on Kizer, the biggest hit he took was on a run by shazeir. Next week he will not get sacked as much and will hit more check downs. He will also of practiced more with our receivers. I think our line will improve next week also as they develop together. 

I think Kizer will be a franchise QB if we put a team around him. What we really need is another WR or two. 

He did miss some open guys down the field which would have changed how we felt about his supporting cast had he hit them. It seemed like a rough playcalling game from the coaches but it was week 1.

Quick predict: By mid season, Kasen Williams has all of Britt's snaps and more. We'll see allot of Coleman, Kasen, and Duke in the slot, mixed with allot of two TE sets using Devalve and Njoku. Coates and Ricardo rotated in occasionally  to help stretch the field in certain packages. 

8 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

He did miss some open guys down the field which would have changed how we felt about his supporting cast had he hit them. It seemed like a rough playcalling game from the coaches but it was week 1.

Fair enough, I think it ill get better. 

29 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

Quick predict: By mid season, Kasen Williams has all of Britt's snaps and more. We'll see allot of Coleman, Kasen, and Duke in the slot, mixed with allot of two TE sets using Devalve and Njoku. Coates and Ricardo rotated in occasionally  to help stretch the field in certain packages. 

Is their a precedent for a big slow WR woking out in the NFL? Recently? Genuinely asking. 

52 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I'm really hoping it was just a bad outing. However, JC Tretter was getting bullied all day, getting blown backwards by the nose tackle and giving up sacks and pressures. I'm not convinced his run blocking was HOF worthy either. JMHO.

On the play they rushed 3 I think that he was one on one with their NT, while Bitonio and Zeitler shadowed the edge rushers, barely doing anything. Thomas could handle anyone one on one, we needed to support Tretter in that instance. 

the oline will get better, only Bitonio and thomas have played together before, both guys have had injuries, especially Bitonio. 

Archived