Week 1 GDT: Stillers at Da Brahnz

LETSGOBROWNIES

I was pretty impressed with our performance today. Really, AB being a monster is really what made the difference today. 

I thought Kizer played very well considering it's his first start. Gotta work on not taking so many sacks though. Also overthrew his receiver a couple of times. I like him so far though.

Definitely impressed with our defense. Pass rush wasn't as good as I was hoping, so I'm excited for Garrett to return. But the defense as a whole seems energetic and tenacious.

Would have loved a win but I think there were a lot of positives to come out of today. 

Just now, DawgX said:

I was pretty impressed with our performance today. Really, AB being a monster is really what made the difference today. 

I thought Kizer played very well considering it's his first start. Gotta work on not taking so many sacks though. Also overthrew his receiver a couple of times. I like him so far though.

Definitely impressed with our defense. Pass rush wasn't as good as I was hoping, so I'm excited for Garrett to return. But the defense as a whole seems energetic and tenacious.

Would have loved a win but I think there were a lot of positives to come out of today. 

Browns 9-7, Texans 3-13

24 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

You guys need to learn to tackle, 3 personal fouls for helmet leading shots. I thought someone should get ejeced after 5 total personal fouls. So i think the officaiting was fair. 
But yes we don't have anyone who can cover Antonio Brown, he is better than a cheat code. 

We can beat Baltimore, and we will. 

At least 2 of those flags were questionable. And the Shazier one while, by the book, is ridiculous as you're asking a guy to change direction at the last second and hope the QB will give up. Though I understand why it was flagged to me it's one of those "by the book beats out common sense" rulings. Watt flagged for falling on the pile while literally not falling on anybody. William Gay flagged because your guy bobbled the ball. Meanwhile, your guys were out there throwing questionable shots too. One to Bell which was fully legal since he was a runner but there was one to Rogers where he was unprotected but nothing. I've seen Steelers WRs not get those calls for years so when I see them go against Steelers DBs I tend to get pissed off. Especially when I've seen some people - not saying anyone here - try to insinuate some things about the team's character.

4 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

@BlaqOptic Antonio Brown is a monster, so is Ben. That was the difference imo.

Ben played like doodie in my opinion. Cleveland could have had 2 or 3 picks on the day. And as you guys said, had Garrett played then who knows how much worse Ben and the Steelers Offense looks. Browns are going to help determine the AFC North this year.

liked:
peppers
kindred
bbc
the linebackers in general
coleman
devalve
kizer most of the times
the run defense! OMG weve never been able to say that
the defense in general

disliked:
kizer sometimes
the pass rush (but i do give them credit big ben is black magic)
the young mistakes that i know are inevitable

we can play with BAL next week and can beat IND for sure.  i dont have that feeling of despair that I usually have on sundays

I'm Mr. Positive, so if that bothers anyone look away. I'm happy. This is the best looking team I've seen in many years. And we're the youngest team in the league. To look that good as the youngest team... Hell, we'd have won if not for a fluke blocked punt in the beginning. The defense has been reinvented. They played so physical and dominant on the line. The run D was awesome. The pass rush will improve with a healthy Garrett. Corey Coleman is emerging, along with Devalve. Zane didn't choke. Jabrill improved our return game from last year. The safeties and linebackers played good. Kizer has a lot to improve, but showed a ton too. He looked better than Dalton in Cinci, maybe even better than Flacco. He definitely looked better than Watson with Houston. Speaking of Houston, that 1st round pick might be a bit better than we might have thought it'd be. They have some legit issues. If they struggle too much in the early portion of this season, Bill O'Brien could find himself a midseason firing. Fingers crossed of course.

Now, for what I see that needs upgraded or improved.

We need impact corners period. Top of my list for the off season is at least one impact corner.

Right beside corner, 1b, is impact WR. No doubt.

Njoku just needs time and maturation. As with Kizer.

And as always, to search for Joe Thomas's eventual replacement. I think the oline will naturally improve to a degree as the season progresses. Hopefully, along with the running game, or RB will find it's way on the list.

Still, I'm thrilled with our Brownies! 

39 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

At least 2 of those flags were questionable. And the Shazier one while, by the book, is ridiculous as you're asking a guy to change direction at the last second and hope the QB will give up. Though I understand why it was flagged to me it's one of those "by the book beats out common sense" rulings. Watt flagged for falling on the pile while literally not falling on anybody. William Gay flagged because your guy bobbled the ball. Meanwhile, your guys were out there throwing questionable shots too. One to Bell which was fully legal since he was a runner but there was one to Rogers where he was unprotected but nothing. I've seen Steelers WRs not get those calls for years so when I see them go against Steelers DBs I tend to get pissed off. Especially when I've seen some people - not saying anyone here - try to insinuate some things about the team's character.

When (if) you guys become a bottom feeder you won't be able to handle officiating. Good teams have nothing to complain about compared to bad teams the better teams almost always get the favorable calls/benefit of the doubt.

The Shazier hit I would agree with if he hit Kizer with a knee as he went past him but dropping your helmet straight down is dirty or at least an obvious penalty. There was a lot of leading with the helmet by the Steelers today for some reason and it's stupid because you are just as likely to hurt yourself or a teammate as you are to hurt an opposing player. I know they were trying to play like a "tough defense" but it comes off as a stupid defense and I expect it to be cleaned up in the future.

Steelers were pretty dirty with their hits today, I'll say it. The referees usually do let you guys get away with those type of hits more than they did today so I understand why it is frustrating for you but it wasn't the fault of the officials today it is the fault of the previous officials for not flagging it. You can hit a receiver while attempting to make a catch, you can't hit him in the shoulder/head area. It's pretty simple.

49 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

The issue is simple, don't lead with your helmet. Last year one of your players knocked Kessler out of the game with a helmet to helmet hit. The Louis call was fair, because your CB or Safety led with the helmet. The shot on Corey Coleman for the TD was a dirty hit, because he made no attempt to lead with his shoulder, it was all helmet. 

your team is either dirty, or poorly coached with tackling. 

I thought the Shazier call was fair, less so the TJ Watt dive on the pile. 

Archived