Week 1 GDT: Stillers at Da Brahnz

LETSGOBROWNIES

21 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

The issue is simple, don't lead with your helmet. Last year one of your players knocked Kessler out of the game with a helmet to helmet hit. The Louis call was fair, because your CB or Safety led with the helmet. The shot on Corey Coleman for the TD was a dirty hit, because he made no attempt to lead with his shoulder, it was all helmet. 

your team is either dirty, or poorly coached with tackling. 

I thought the Shazier call was fair, less so the TJ Watt dive on the pile. 

Absolutely agree with the Watt dive on being a stretch. But, when you create an environment of defensive players leading with their helmets and dirty hits, refs are more likely to see ghost penalties. Self inflicted wounds. Clean it up Stillers. 

I was impressed with our TEs. I think the nickname 'safety valve' is apt for DeValve and Njoku showed some flashes. I think with Telfer we have a strong TE group going into the future.

Running back, I saw a lot I didnt like out of Crowell but it could just be rust. I want to start judging 4-6 weeks in. Duke was great in the receiving game. Kizer needs to get his timing down with Duke. Guy is a great weapon. I like Dayes.

Britt will continue to disappoint with big drops. I am hoping we will get Gordon back and he has his head on straight because we need someone on the other side of Coleman taking pressure off of him.

I was not impressed with the offensive line in the running game. I think the passing game was a bit more on Kizer but the line had its issues as well. JC Tretter had trouble with their NT. 

Defensively I liked what I saw. Our corners will allow a lot of stuff underneath, but thats been a part of GW's defenses. We still need a #1 but I like BBC at #2 CB, Taylor at nickle and hopefully Howard comes back and competes for the #2 CB spot.

I really like Peppers now. I thought he would be redundant when we had a need for a FS but hes doing well.

Surprised by Kindred. I know he flashed last year but he also looked limited at times. He may end up being a solid role player after all.

Our LB unit is really good. I wouldve preferred to see Collins in coverage instead Schobert but schobert did well out there.

Defensive line couldnt get pressure as the game went on. Hopefully Garrett will help the entire line.

I LOVE what I saw out of Kizer minus that stupid INT. His accuracy needs a bit of work but its not too far off. Just needs to work on touch/timing with receivers which is expected since he didnt get an entire TC. Also needs to get the ball out quicker but that comes with time. 

Going into next year I think we need a #1 WR and #1 CB in the first.  Only RB if we can get Barkley

8 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

Absolutely agree with the Watt dive on being a stretch. But, when you create an environment of defensive players leading with their helmets and dirty hits, refs are more likely to see ghost penalties. Self inflicted wounds. Clean it up Stillers. 

The Steelers will be pretenders this year if they don't clean up their penalties, you can't take that into the playoffs. 

27 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

Squeelers have always been a dirty team. Glad to see the refs called them on some of their bull today. Close one. Again I feel we were about two or three plays from winning this game. 1 - the blocked punt, 2 - the Britt drop, and 3 - That ugly INT. Kizer will learn, Britt can be cut, and our special teams need to learn better blocking. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

So I fell asleep just before kick-off. Just watched the replay in '40 though.

We are the youngest team in the league and performed pretty darn well. The only advantage the Steelers had over us was AB. You take him out of the equation then we are the better team. Kizer looks better than anyone I've seen in a Browns uni at QB since I started watching the NFL ('09), even if he does need to get the ball out quicker.

Regardless of our record this season (and I'm pretty hopeful after this), we'll continue to get better.

I was glad that we showed the same things as in preseason. Good D and resiliency. Those are going to lead to wins. So many plays could have influenced the outcome, but if not for a hail mary to AB or if Ogbah could of altered Ben's throw the offense would have the momentum to go win the game. 

I'd like to say that if Kasen Williams stays inbounds, Kizer doesn't throw the INT, doesn't overthrow Duke, Jamar dropping INT, no blocked punt that this would have been a win easily. Steelers could have started throwing more downfield though so who knows. Still the D holding them to 14 w/o Myles is good execution and game plan. The one all out blitz the resulted in AB PI a blitzer up the middle was held and he could have altered the throw. 

Really needed Myles towards the end of the halves when guys were tired and we couldn't blitz cuz of the spread. 

Njoku making some catches was good to see. Also playing Eifert role down the seem in RZ. Corey Coleman is a tough WR and is showin up. OL did have some nice run blocking eventually. Britt...

Definitely reason for optimism because of our defensive play and Kizer having some big drives at important times, but Pitt's DBs are meh, as seen by Haden getting smoked deep by everyone. Baltimore's pass D is a couple notches above but their offense may be a couple notches below Pit. Kizer showed he can learn within a game. I liked that he stayed safe and took the sacks instead of turning it over. Then in the 4th he started checking down and threw it out the back of the end zone. 

Kizer is the crux in games like these where we have to come from behind. He responded though and that's the best part. Peppers is equally important on D since he is the lone ranger back there[gotta get AB down though and that catch and run]. Myles is icing on the cake when he gets back. They all got plenty to learn but they are also already better than any we had at their positions last year and they got the football IQ to learn quickly from their mistakes. 

In BAL is very challenging, but with the way the team responded to the start of the game and the past week in general I think they are going to be ready. Hopefully the defense can put us ahead or keep it within a score all game so that we can be running the ball in the 4th. Then we will see the right side of that OL paying off. 

Go Browns 

Archived