2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

None of those players signed contracts that were out of market value. Your answer since before I can remember always has been "well who could we have signed??" then you get a list of who we could have signed, and you come up with some excuse. We should've signed a vet DL. Harrison and Jernigan give me some hope. 

The only answer is Gute thinks Lowry, Lancaster, Adams and Keke can improve. He totally blew that last year with MVS, Allison, Moore and EQ. If the DL turns out to be the same, we aren't winning anything substantial this year. 

No team on the GB schedule for 2020 will watch the SF game tape.   all is fine.  

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

None of those players signed contracts that were out of market value.

The only answer is Gute thinks Lowry, Lancaster, Adams and Keke can improve.

hmmmm. I tend to think there are several possibilities involved and its not all black & white 
We only know the current results, we don't know what actions Gute took or which players said they'd rather play someplace else.

I had my eyes on DT Gerald McCoy, but he's an Oklahoma guy and chose the nearby Cowboys instead - 
reasonable chance he grew up following them
That does not = Gute thinks Lowery et al are the only answer or that Gute didn't try.
When players are FA's they get to choose and that choice often involves a wife, kids and an agent in their ears, in addition to their own life history

Let's try not to be so binary about Free Agency  (which is not quite over yet)

Edited by Shanedorf

38 minutes ago, squire12 said:

No team on the GB schedule for 2020 will watch the SF game tape. 

Some have suggested the fault lay at the feet of Pettine, others have said its on the players to get off the damn blocks
I'm guessing its probably a little of each and I'm sure the Packers have watched the SF tape too. I'll be curious to see what answers are offered and MLF surely didn't enjoy the public sandblasting of his arse by his former mentor.

MLF won't let that slide, its his future on the line

9 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Some have suggested the fault lay at the feet of Pettine, others have said its on the players to get off the damn blocks
I'm guessing its probably a little of each and I'm sure the Packers have watched the SF tape too. I'll be curious to see what answers are offered and MLF surely didn't enjoy the public sandblasting of his arse by his former mentor.

MLF won't let that slide, its his future on the line

I hope so.   Pettine will ...based on the current additions to the roster..... be using the same DL as 2019.  Hoping for improvement from within is about all we have at this point.  drafting a DL is just about the last resort at this point and the track record of rookie DL having a big impact is short.

9 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Someone is going to get a steal with Higgins. His testing numbers weren't great and he'll probably "not be within our metrics" in Green Bay. To me though the guy plays like his former predecessor, DeAndre Hopkins. All Higgins does is make plays and he did it against the best competition in football the last 2-3 years.  

I agree but I see him more comparable to AJ Green

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

hmmmm. I tend to think there are several possibilities involved and its not all black & white 
We only know the current results, we don't know what actions Gute took or which players said they'd rather play someplace else.

I had my eyes on DT Gerald McCoy, but he's an Oklahoma guy and chose the nearby Cowboys instead - 
reasonable chance he grew up following them
That does not = Gute thinks Lowery et al are the only answer or that Gute didn't try.
When players are FA's they get to choose and that choice often involves a wife, kids and an agent in their ears, in addition to their own life history

Let's try not to be so binary about Free Agency  (which is not quite over yet)

Does "I tried" work for your boss if you fail? Doesn't for mine and shouldn't for Gute. If he doesn't feel his DL were up to par, this far he's failed.

Now I do agree the off-season isn't done, there will be pre and post camp cuts of vets and a draft too, but I'm not going to give him a pass because he might have tried.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

its March/ April and there are still FAs and trades available on the vet market.
I share your concerns about counting on a rookie DL

There's also cuts when teams reduce their roster after the draft.  I too am concerned nothing has been done on the DL but it aint over till it's over. 

40 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

its March/ April and there are still FAs and trades available on the vet market.
I share your concerns about counting on a rookie DL

30 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

There's also cuts when teams reduce their roster after the draft.  I too am concerned nothing has been done on the DL but it aint over till it's over. 

How many post draft or end of preseason cut players turn out to be difference makers?

These players are being cut by their current team,  so they are likely not + contributors, or they would not be getting cut.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Does "I tried" work for your boss if you fail?

yes, because my boss understands that reality isn't binary. He understands and appreciates the totality of my contributions and doesn't let any one thing label me as a failure... especially 5 months before the project is even completed.

I think you'd like him.
As far as YOUR new boss, you'll do better by not throwing the failure label around so freely.
After all, you couldn't even pull off a bachelor party.  :)

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

ow many post draft or end of preseason cut players turn out to be difference makers?

in general, not many.
But if all you want is a run stuffer, I'd guess the hit rate is a bit higher.
Those guys don't dig on camp and OTAs, so sometimes they are late arrivals

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

in general, not many.
But if all you want is a run stuffer, I'd guess the hit rate is a bit higher.
Those guys don't dig on camp and OTAs, so sometimes they are late arrivals

Not what I am looking for.  

2 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

dudes who can handle a double team AND rush the passer ? We need Howard Green 2.0

e04e5d2133e1011ff3efeeecd4e758c1-getty-a

The funniest thing about that play is that he was a really awful pass rusher. That was one of like two pressures he had the entire season.