2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

49 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

yes, because my boss understands that reality isn't binary. He understands and appreciates the totality of my contributions and doesn't let any one thing label me as a failure... especially 5 months before the project is even completed.

I think you'd like him.
As far as YOUR new boss, you'll do better by not throwing the failure label around so freely.
After all, you couldn't even pull off a bachelor party.  :)

I'm social distancing for my bachelor party, it's new and hip.

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Also Tyler Huntley (QB, Utah) did a pro day with some local prospects and sent the tape to the 32 teams.

He jumped a 43.5.....as a QB.

MY MAN!

Alright he's my 2nd QB for the 2 QB set. dangerous on the fade immediately.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, squire12 said:

How many post draft or end of preseason cut players turn out to be difference makers?

These players are being cut by their current team,  so they are likely not + contributors, or they would not be getting cut.

Agreed.  But that could also be said about players already cut by their teams that other teams have signed onto their rosters.  Leave no stone unturned ... difference makers probably not, contributors ... maybe.

I've been a big fan of Tyler Huntley throughout the process. He ranked very well in Paul Noona's QBOPS. While athleticism matters less at QB than other positions, I just ran his numbers on the RAS tool and he came in at 8.87 (could go higher or lower depending on the 10 and 20 splits). For a late round flier, taking someone that was both quite efficient as a passer and is a good athlete at the most premium position seems like a decent lottery ticket.

17 hours ago, rcon14 said:

Yeah, there's a major issue with the sample this year. Over the next month I'm going to make some alterations to the data to see if it starts to make more sense.

Do you have a source on the .17 number?

EDIT:

So I did some digging on this using the RAS database. Comparing the weighted averages of 3-cone times this year to all past years combined, and the difference in 3-cone averages is essentially non-existent (.00728 seconds). 

Breakdown by position:
QB: .04 seconds slower
RB: .02 faster
WR: .08 slower
TE: .04 faster
OL: .00
DL: .02 slower
LB: .12 faster (I think this has a lot to do with LBs getting smaller and smaller)
DB: .06 faster

The samples in any one draft class are of course rather small, especially compared to years and years of testing, but it appears that of the people that DID run, there wasn't too much of an effect.

This may have got lost on the bottom of a page a few pages ago. Thought the results were mildly surprising.

7 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Was thinking about this. I'd probably say Sternberger going in would be TE2 behind only Kmet. Thoughts? 

I think hes on par with Brycen Hopkins. I dont think either are as good as Okwuegbunam and i have Kmet leading the class. 

Then you have to figure out if you like Hunter Bryant or not. Also haven't watched Trautman yet. 

So if i was answering Kruse I'd say Jace wouldve been picked around the same place.

Edited by HighCalebR

Yeah, I think Kmet would have a slight edge over Sternberger simply because of production. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind Kmet at 62; just watched his Georgia game and the only criticism I really have of him is that he could be better with his hands when run blocking - he reaches too much IMO.

16 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Does "I tried" work for your boss if you fail? Doesn't for mine and shouldn't for Gute. If he doesn't feel his DL were up to par, this far he's failed.

Now I do agree the off-season isn't done, there will be pre and post camp cuts of vets and a draft too, but I'm not going to give him a pass because he might have tried.

I mean, is it not possible that Gute didn't think the money was worth being spent on those DL options?  Unless you truly believe Gute is sitting on his hands, the lack of movement on the DL indicates to me either that he believes in the DL more than you and I do, OR he's got something in mind.

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, is it not possible that Gute didn't think the money was worth being spent on those DL options?  Unless you truly believe Gute is sitting on his hands, the lack of movement on the DL indicates to me either that he believes in the DL more than you and I do, OR he's got something in mind.

I already referred to the possibility that he likes Lowry, Lancaster, Adams and Keke more than we do. That's his right as a GM. If he's proven right he comes out smelling like a rose, if not he deserves a lot of criticism as the film easily shows to me that they aren't good enough.