2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

3 hours ago, Forge said:

I will say that Peter King was on Barnwell's podcast and talked about hearing a lot of Vikings + Jefferson chatter. 

They are going to need to move up from 22 to get him. My guess is if they go WR in round one they will stay in form and choose another bust: Troy Williamson, Percy Harvin (not a complete bust but close), Cordelle Patterson, Laquan Treadwell! 

The curse of Randy Moss! 

11 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

An elite offensive line, a top 10 RB, a top 10 WR, a TE that a division rival liked enough to make the 7th highest paid guy at his position, and a pair of promising young guys as his WR 2 and 3. Even if you make the argument that WR2, WR3, and TE were all worse than average players, 70% of your supporting cast being really good, is pretty great when you look at things round the league. How is that cast lacking?

The offense may very well be better next year,  but it took a hit at RT, and experienced absurdly good health last year that likely isn't going to continue. If we end up with a round 2 WR, is the supporting cast going to be better next year?

If only 1 wr is taken in the draft plus the guy they just picked up in fa are the only improvements for offensive skill positions,  then the promising wr 2 and 3 better frickin step up.  All this "potential" everybody keeps talking about better pan out.  Graham signing with the Bears for that amount of money is widely looked at as one of the worst free agency signings this year.  Wouldn't say that holds much salt but maybe he has a renaissance year which would shock me big time.  I'm not that concerned overall about the rest of the league; I'm looking at the NFC North in particular.  Compared to the player losses and signings the other 3 North teams did in the off season the Packers off season seems like a big winner even though they really didn't do much whatsoever.    Not sure how it will all shake out offensively next year but hopefully they can score 26 pts a game, 2 pts more and defense hold opponents to 2 pts less per game … there's the 4 pt differential you're looking for.

10 hours ago, Jaegybomb said:

Vegas says 5.5

Lamb, Jeudy, Ruggs, and Jefferson are locks to go in the first round IMO.  I think it's probably a decent chance that a 5th WR goes in the first round but there's also a train of thought that teams could hold off on taking a WR early and grab one on Day 2.  This class is deep.

6 hours ago, Forge said:

I will say that Peter King was on Barnwell's podcast and talked about hearing a lot of Vikings + Jefferson chatter. 

I'm not sure I see Jefferson making it that long.  Jacksonville at 20 seems primed to take him if they don't surprise everyone and go WR at 9.

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not sure I see Jefferson making it that long.  Jacksonville at 20 seems primed to take him if they don't surprise everyone and go WR at 9.

Even if they go WR at 9 teams in need of a WR likely go to next guy on board. I don't see Jefferson making it to 20, much less 22 personally. 

If Tua is really a franchise QB aren't the Redskins making a big mistake in passing him up. I don't think anybody in their building really has a ton of hope for Haskins. Hate to see Chase Young in Detroit, but the 'skins are making a mistake passing up a franchise QB when they don't have one.

Settled on my top 10 "want" players at 30 (assuming no trade ups or trade backs and reasonably assuming certain players don't fall): 

1. Jalen Reagor (WR)

2. Kenneth Murray (ILB)

3. Brandon Aiyuk (WR)

4. Laviska Shenault (WR)

5. Josh Jones (OT)

6. Jeff Gladney (CB)

7. Denzel Mims (WR)

8. Ross Blacklock (DL)

9. Antoine Winfield Jr. (DB) 

10. Zach Baun (ILB/EDGE)

10 minutes ago, Golfman said:

If Tua is really a franchise QB aren't the Redskins making a big mistake in passing him up. I don't think anybody in their building really has a ton of hope for Haskins. Hate to see Chase Young in Detroit, but the 'skins are making a mistake passing up a franchise QB when they don't have one.

I mean, what separates Haskins from Tua?  That's an incredibly positive spin for Tua, and a rather pessimistic viewpoint of Haskins.  Either way, it goes back how you view Haskins/Tua as franchise QBs.  If they're opting for Chase Young, I think that speaks more about their opinion of Tua than Haskins tbh.

Andy Herman -   Tony Pauline has Green Bay selecting Jordyn Brooks in round 2. I don’t think many would be upset with Mims/Brooks 1-2.

////

Brooks was a name that didnt ring any bells, so I looked him up at TDN.

Based on how they rank him in the LB position, he must have a skill set Pauline think fits GB cause he's TDNs 9th ranked LB and 107th overall prospect - which would seem to be over drafted in the 2nd round.

PROS: Big, physical and rangy linebacker that thrives attacking downhill. Has outstanding range for his size and he can influence all the way to each sideline in lateral pursuit. Explosive tackler with outstanding form, balance and hitting power. Generally processes inside run plays accurately and triggers correctly. Slippery working through and around contact in pursuit. Was often tasked with spy responsibilities and he has the mobility to do so effectively. Outstanding gap shooting ability against the run and pass. Has the mobility needed to develop in coverage and defend short zones although he is unproven. Outstanding tackle production across four seasons. Has tone-setting qualities due to his size, frame and physical demeanor. Urgent football player with a motor that always runs hot. Does well to control his speed and physical nature to remain balanced, stay square and play within himself. Has no physical restrictions. 

CONS:  Completely unproven in coverage, rarely ever taking steps backwards. Gets panicky in zone coverage. More of a see ball, chase ball defender that is reactionary without much anticipation. Want to see him more consistently take on blocks as opposed to working around them and taking himself out of his run fits. Needs to get his hands more involved when playing through contact. Modest change of direction skills and he’s more of a linear athlete. 

NFL COMP - Al Wilson

Jordyn Brooks was an effective downhill defender for Texas Tech that racked up 360 tackles across four seasons in college, including 108 tackles and 20 tackles for loss in 11 games as a senior. For a team looking for a big, physical and rangy downhill run defender then Brooks is an ideal target. He is an outstanding tackler and effectively shoots gaps. Outside of processing development that is needed, Brooks is completely unproven in coverage despite four seasons of heavy usage in college. Rarely did he ever take a step backwards, work in man coverage or was tasked with defending deeper zones. While he seemingly has the physical tools to perform, there is likely to be some growing pains as he adds this responsibility to his game. Brooks was often a spy or blitzed on passing downs in college. At a minimum, Brooks should be an early down linebacker and special teams ace but his ability to develop his passing down skills will be critical for him becoming a more complete player. 

19 minutes ago, Golfman said:

With a DL of Young, Payne, Allen, Kerrigan and Sweat, don't think Washington needs a great QB if that group clicks. That's every bit the group SF has if Young plays like Bosa did last year. 

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Andy Herman -   Tony Pauline has Green Bay selecting Jordyn Brooks in round 2. I don’t think many would be upset with Mims/Brooks 1-2.

I wouldn't be upset .. a couple good players that fit a need as well.  I think the Packers might address the Oline or Dline in round one or two, but I think Mims could be hard to pass up at #30.  Size, skill, speed and productions is all there and Gute may think it's too tough to pass up.

2 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think the Packers might address the Oline or Dline in round one or two,

For no known reason, I'm tending to think this as well.

3 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think Mims could be hard to pass up at #30. 

But.....then......there's always this....which again makes it all a crap shoot :)