Lets Discuss All Things Wrestling - Even The T-Shirt Company AEW!

steelcurtain29

What a ****ed up situation.

This could be one of the worst news ever in wrestling. I mean selling the company to a dictatorship like Saudi-Arabia, who potentially use the entire company for propaganda reasons. Holy ****. I mean Vince McMahon coming back is bad, especially considering the allegations around him and the fact that the head investigator in Jit Man Singh left after Vince took over power. But this is unbelievable. It could change everything. It's going to be interested which workes will stay and (potentially) follow the money. It will be interested to see which sponsor will stay to spend their money to Saudi-Arabia and ofc there will be one simple question for each and every fan. Do you want to put money into the WWE, supporting a state like Saudi-Arabia? From a moral standpoint, this is a whole other level.

Edited by Edge

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

The WWE product on TV went downhill as soon as the company went public. I’m just hoping this means they can go back to the days where they don’t have to answer to shareholders and a board of directors and have more creative freedom. 

While taking direction from Saudi arabia?

54 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

Yeahhh if this is to the Saudis I’m done with them. Maybe I’ll go watch AEW but I’m not overly fond of that product as well.

It's worth to check out AEW Dynamite tonight. The card is stacked. Literally one of the best Dynamite cards ever.

5 hours ago, Edge said:

My guess would be, that Vince negotiated the deal already in his absence.

This is most likely. 

All his new free time after being fired left him plenty of time to meet with Saudi and get the contracts ironed out. Then once he had a sale lined up he would force his way back in using his controlling interest and complete the sale as fast as possible during the turmoil.

He probably has it contracted that he has final say over all creative decisions and roster decisions, restoring him as "leader" while also making him a multi billionaire.

Still though, even with focal say on rosters, Saudi will get input, I'd expect many more Saudi based shows and who knows how they will want content to be edited. As earlier mentioned, will women's wrestling still exist? How many talents are going to have to or choose to walk out the door?

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

The Saudis dont need sponsors 

That's true. I should have said it differently, because i actually also meant tv stations. Ofc i don't expect the USA Network to drop WWE, as it's to important for them, rating wise. But i could imagine that FOX might not want to bid for it again or at least i think this might put WWE in a worse situation for renegotiating both of their TV deals. Especially since the TV stations also have sponsors, who might put pressure on the stations, because they might not be to happy to have a Saudi-Arabia owned WWE on the channel.

So we'll see about all of that in the next 1-2 years. If it's getting official the ratings will be also interesting and important. So far i think there is a lot of anger in the community, but i also have the knowledge for the german fanbase. I don't expect like 50 % to suddenly stop viewing WWE, but there still could be a significant percentage to stop view it or financially support it. We'll see how many fans will abandon WWE in the end and also how many of the will do the same in the US as well. In the end i have no idea what the casual american viewer thinks about it. Is he cool with it. Does he care at all or does he think it's problematic that a company of "their own" gets sold to Saudi-Arabia. I really don't know. All i know is that the german fanbase is criticising the deal with Saudi-Arabia due to human rights violations, dictatorship, partially support within the borders of the state Saudi-Arabia in financing of terrorism (Al Qaida, Islamic State) and other questionable stuff like that. But in the end that's just a very small amount of fans worldwide and ofc not comparable in numbers to the american audience, who will be interesting to watch in the coming weeks and months.

Edited by Edge

3 minutes ago, drew39k said:

Still though, even with focal say on rosters, Saudi will get input, I'd expect many more Saudi based shows and who knows how they will want content to be edited. As earlier mentioned, will women's wrestling still exist? How many talents are going to have to or choose to walk out the door?

I guess a few of the wrestlers will walk out (Sami Zayn, Kevin Owens), but i don't expect a large number of people leaving on their own. I also don't expect Saudi-Arabia to have any important input on the creative. I don't expect WWE to stop presenting the women. I only think, they will have regulations for their shows in Saudi-Arabia. That will continue probably and ofc there will be a guideline for the overall product to not criticize the new owners. But that's probably not changing anything to the current product. So i think this will be fine. Maybe they will be a bit more harsh for the women in regards to their private content and maybe they push some guys like Mansoor, but i wouldn't expect anything else or anything that's going to be fundamental to the creative of the company.

appears a few of the saudi tweets have already been deleted.  Might be a move by the E to see what kind of backlash there'd be before doing it.  They just hired JP Morgan, I doubt a deal gets done that quickly for this big of a publicly traded company