2020 Draft Talk

swede700

Just now, SemperFeist said:

There have been many round 1/2 receivers who’ve made early impacts for their teams. You can’t use a teams history, especially over multiple coaching staffs, as a reason to wait. 

Theilen and Diggs are uncommon. It took Theilen three years to see the field as a true WR. You’re odds are more likely to get you another Jaymar Johnson,  Rodney Adams, Stacy Coley, Dillon Mitchell, or Aundrae Allison type of receiver late. 

In normal years, you are correct.  However, this year is uncommonly deep with WR talent.  While I may not wait until Day 3 to tap into that talent, I am thinking value is to be had in rounds 3 and 4.

The biggest thing I want in a first round edge is the innate ability to bend the edge and win with speed. Speed to power, counter moves, finesse, hands usage are all needed, but if they can’t show the explosiveness to win with speed by bending the edge, I’m not really that interested in them with a first round pick. 

haven’t seen that ability with YGM. he should be a solid but not spectacular end in the nfl though.   I would just go a different direction. 

6 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

The biggest thing I want in a first round edge is the innate ability to bend the edge and win with speed. Speed to power, counter moves, finesse, hands usage are all needed, but if they can’t show the explosiveness to win with speed by bending the edge, I’m not really that interested in them with a first round pick. 

haven’t seen that ability with YGM. he should be a solid but not spectacular end in the nfl though.   I would just go a different direction. 

Only Chase Young has what you are asking for and we don’t have the 2nd pick of the draft. YGM is more then capable of holding his own and causing problems on the opposite side of Hunter.

3 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

Only Chase Young has what you are asking for and we don’t have the 2nd pick of the draft. YGM is more then capable of holding his own and causing problems on the opposite side of Hunter.

Chaisson can do this. That said, that's why I'm not really interested in a 1st round edge. I'm with the group to let Ifeadi start and see what he can do; he's earned it. Then draft an athletic prospect in mid rounds for Patterson to mold. 

21 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Chaisson can do this. That said, that's why I'm not really interested in a 1st round edge. I'm with the group to let Ifeadi start and see what he can do; he's earned it. Then draft an athletic prospect in mid rounds for Patterson to mold. 

It is a matter of value, YGM and Epenesa would be of great draft value if the Vikings got them because honestly they are better players than being picked in the 22-25 range.  OT most likely all the good ones Austin Jackson and Josh Jones in that range would be gone.  CB depending on who drops all of those could be gone as well.  Jefferson is one that could drop to us that we should not pass on but even he could go to a variety of other teams potentially.  Sure the Vikings do not absolute need DE help that high but value wise with as many picks they have makes sense.  And the CB class is deeper than the DE class and obviously WR is pretty deep as well. 

Sure they could pass on a DE and I agree Odenigbo deserves a chance to start but I also would like a feared pass rush, and the 49ers did not stop taking DL a few years back and look at that DL this previous season.  Buckner, Armstead, Bosa, Thomas, only guy they did not draft was Ford.  So clearly they were not like oh we are set at DL so forget about the DL.

Will be interesting how it all falls.  

Thank you Ozzy for bringing up the 49ers again like I’ve been saying for weeks. The Vikings and Packers both are way better then the 49ers are on offense. Why did both teams get crushed in the playoffs?? The front 4. That’s what I want. 

That’s why I want YGM at DE and that is why I want a DT who can rush the QB as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

I don't normally disagree with you, but, as I recall Diggs was drafted in the 5th and Thielen was a UDFA.  It's when the Vikings draft WR's in the 1st round that there are problems...with Randy Moss being the exception...somewhat.

Diggs was a rare top talent who fell to the 5th due to injuries. If you can find another Diggs, I’m all for it. But very few WRs drafted past the 3rd round become high quality starters or pro bowlers.

WR is one of the most important positions in the modern game. The Vikings cupboard is bare at receiver — they need a blue chip player, not just a warm body.

Harvin was a very successful 1st round pick. Patterson was good as a rookie, but they changed the scheme and took away his role as an offensive weapon. Only Treadwell was truly a bust, and that’s no reason not to draft another receiver this year.

Thomas, Bosa, and Bucker were all top-7 picks in the draft - even Armstead was in the top 20.  We don't have one of those picks, and if we did,  you'd better believe I'd be banging the table for Brown/Kinlaw/Young

YGM/Epenesa aren't in that class of player, so using the 49ers as a model is all well, and good, but you're not comparing apples to apples.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CriminalMind said:

Noah Igbinoghene

He intrigues me a lot because I think there's a lot left to unlock for him given how new he is to playing cornerback. He sticks to receivers like glue and his twitch is top notch. The weird thing is, he is a former receiver right? But his ball skills are pretty nonexistent. I wonder if that nuance comes with playing the position more and knowing the timing aspect of when to turn around and look for the ball; or is that more an innate ability that can't be taught and you either have it, or you don't.

18 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

Thank you Ozzy for bringing up the 49ers again like I’ve been saying for weeks. The Vikings and Packers both are way better then the 49ers are on offense. Why did both teams get crushed in the playoffs?? The front 4. That’s what I want. 

The Niners led the NFC in points scored, by a lot. Despite running a similar ZBS / playaction scheme as the Vikings, they havd 4 quality WRs drafted on day 2 (Sanders, Samuel, Goodwin and Pettis), though only 2 of them were drafted by SF. Thielen is the only current Vikings WR who would’ve even dressed for the Niners last year.

YGM is no Bosa or Buckner level prospect. PFF graded him as a 3rd rounder — as they explain in this article, he didn’t dominate in college (zero games with a pass rush grade of 80 or higher), even against lesser competition. Zierlein on the NFL site puts his comparison as Aaron Schobel, whoever that is.

YGM only did the jumps and the bench at the combine, which were pretty good (34” vert, 120” broad, 20 bench at 264 pounds) but not in a different league to Odenigbo (31.5”, 128”, 25 at 258) and clearly worse than Hunter (36.5”, 130”, 25 at 252). He didn’t run, which is a bit of a red flag.

He just seems like an overrated prospect based on a couple of flash plays (like the one where he throws down the LT, which was impressive) that weren’t representative of his overall performance. The Vikings can find a similar or better athlete later in the draft, bring him along slowly as the DE3 this year, and have depth after they extend Odenigbo heading into 2021. 

• Like 1