2020 Draft Talk

swede700

4 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

The worst outcome is that they pay Williams more, he's continues his trend of being missing multiple games a season, picks up where he left off (2018 pff graded him just about even with Reiff), and the guard situation is still unresolved. Why pay more for the same result?

That doesn't sound too bad.

Williams played 792 snaps in 2018. Reiff played 793 in 2018, and 874 snaps in the regular season last year.

The highest grade Reiff has ever put up in a full season is 80.8. His highest in 3 years in Minnesota is 74.1, in 2018. He was graded at 69.5 last year. Williams had 6 years in a row with grades of 80+, including 2 of 90+. He graded at 75.6 in 2018. 

Williams is a much better player than Reiff. They're basically the same age (Williams is 3 months older). He'd be more expensive, but Reiff isn't cheap. 

The guard position would remain unresolved even if they don't trade for Williams. How does not making the trade help them at guard?

As much as I was high on it until now, at this point, it seems more risky to go for the TW move and would bet the trade comp is not the sticking point for the Vikes,  I'd want to see how the draft unfolds.  OT seems like a pretty high value pick anywhere in the first and we may have a shot at two of the most experienced left tackles.  Never hurts to get that 1st contract value.  Brian O'Neil and Cook might be the only real value on the roster right now in terms of players outperforming their contract. 

13 minutes ago, Krauser said:

That doesn't sound too bad.

Williams played 792 snaps in 2018. Reiff played 793 in 2018, and 874 snaps in the regular season last year.

The highest grade Reiff has ever put up in a full season is 80.8. His highest in 3 years in Minnesota is 74.1, in 2018. He was graded at 69.5 last year. Williams had 6 years in a row with grades of 80+, including 2 of 90+. He graded at 75.6 in 2018. 

Williams is a much better player than Reiff. They're basically the same age (Williams is 3 months older). He'd be more expensive, but Reiff isn't cheap. 

The guard position would remain unresolved even if they don't trade for Williams. How does not making the trade help them at guard?

I remember when I said I wasn't going to argue about this all day 😂

You are very optimistic about Williams' health. I am not. PFF grades of ~92/82/75/not in football over his past 4 years don't suggest that he's going to have some resurgence. Especially with no offseason. Add in a top of market contract and I'm just not ready to make that leap of faith.

Like I said - I understand the allure. I'm just skeptical. If I haven't made my case well enough to hold that opinion I guess I'm just being a contrarian ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by JDBrocks
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I remember when I said I wasn't going to argue about this all day 😂

You are very optimistic about Williams' health. I am not. PFF grades of ~92/82/75/not in football over his past 4 years don't suggest that he's going to have some resurgence. Especially with no offseason. Add in a top of market contract and I'm just not ready to make that leap of faith.

Like I said - I understand the allure. I'm just skeptical. If I haven't made my case well enough to hold that opinion I guess I'm just being a contrarian ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You pretty much sum up my thoughts.   A little too much risk for me. 

If the Vikings could afford him over a 3 or 4 year contract, I would take Williams over Reiff, even if Williams was missing an arm!  He plays the position that way it's supposed to be played by elite lineman.  He got even better when facing better opponents. The time away, means that he doesn't have the same wear and tear that offensive lineman his age has.  For me, it comes down to affordability.

3 hours ago, Krauser said:

People on this board had similar concerns for extending Griffen for starter money, and Hunter taking over as an every down player.

I'm not saying he'll be as good as Griffen or Hunter, but Odenigbo was as good in his one year as the DE3 as Robison ever was in that role. 

The one game he started*, in week 17, he had a sack with forced fumble, 2 QB hits and a pressure, plus a run stop. That's good work. 

*technically, Hunter started, playing one snap so he'd meet a contract incentive, but then Odenigbo played 68 of the 74 snaps the rest of the way.

How does Odenigbo compare to Hunter and Griffen athletically? 

3 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

How does Odenigbo compare to Hunter and Griffen athletically? 

Hunter's off the map: WR numbers at 250 pounds, tall with long arms.

Odenigbo is similar to Griffen but a size smaller (a little shorter, 15 pounds lighter). They both have short-ish arms. Speed, agility and jumps were comparable, but that's one level more impressive from Griffen given the weight difference.

• Like 1