2020 Draft Talk

swede700

4 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

A Power DE that benched 225 17 times🤔. 35 tackles for a loss in 2 years sounds like a guy that’s really good against the run as well ( that YGM by the way )

I could care less what PFF grades players at. Just watch the film.. 

Bench has very little to do with “power” given that rate of force has nothing to do with the bench test. 

Its the single most overrated test at the combine - they either have a base level of strength or they don’t and given that AJ comes from Iowa, where one of the best strength coaches in the country works, I’d say it’s likely he does. 

Edited by RpMc
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, RpMc said:

All I need to see with Epenesa’s Bench is 85th percentile arm length - as a fellow long-limber, benching with long arms sucks. 

same, i have pretty long arms and just shake my head when i see people bench and the combo of their short arms and barrel chest makes it look like they only have to move the bar like ten inches. it's not any fault of theirs, but i have to move the bar literally twice as far for every rep.

just look at danielle hunter, who by every account is insanely strong and a physical freak. he "only" tested out at the 64th percentile for bench among edge rushers. with his thin frame and 34+" arms i'd bet his range of motion was in the 90th+ percentile which makes his bench more impressive.

14 minutes ago, whitehops said:

that's what PFF uses to grade their players.

Everyone’s ranks are different. Why does CBS have YGM ranked as the 20th best overall and A.J ranked 34th? 

listen, everyone has there own opinion on who they like. Me, I was told by HS coach years ago, “ the big eye doesn’t lie” . I like what I see with YGM. Just look back a few pages in this forum and watch him pan cake Iowa’s LT who will be a 1st rounder next year.

7 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

Everyone’s ranks are different. Why does CBS have YGM ranked as the 20th best overall and A.J ranked 34th? 

listen, everyone has there own opinion on who they like. Me, I was told by HS coach years ago, “ the big eye doesn’t lie” . I like what I see with YGM. Just look back a few pages in this forum and watch him pan cake Iowa’s LT who will be a 1st rounder next year.

Every single player in this draft, from first round stud to UDFA has good moments like that from YGM and bad moments like that from Jackson, and if you pick and choose moments like that you can make everyone look either bad or good. 

Just like with stats. 

———

I respect your evaluation of him, but simply disagree. Projecting him against NFL tackles, I don’t see the game changing type of player, I see a solid defensive end, that may or may not get better. I don’t project a ton of improvement over what he currently does because he’s not a technically deficient player, nor is he a freak athlete that can better capitalize on it through NFL coaching. 

That’s not a first round player to me. If he’s available in the second round, sure, that would be a good use of the pick. If not, I’d be just as happy with Okwara, Taylor, Gipson in rounds 3-5. 

• Like 3

If they can get Williams for a day 3 pick, that'd be great. He's excellent when he's healthy, and they have good depth (Reiff if they keep him or Rashod Hill otherwise) if he does miss a few games. 

I think Udoh has a real chance to become a quality starter. I like the idea of him getting a chance to develop behind a top flight but older LT rather than investing heavily in a draft pick who's going to take his slot as the team's developmental tackle.

Top 4 picks can then be CB, WR, G and DL. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

So, if we got Trent Williams, would we move Reiff to OG?

If it was me, I would try to trade Reiff. If nobody was interested there is little harm in keeping him around to compete for a guard spot, but I would count on him being anything at guard and would cut him if he doesn't convincingly earn the spot; he earns too much and is too old to keep him around to learn the guard position over a younger cheaper guy with more upside.

Of course, I presume they'll draft a couple younger and cheaper guys with more upside to compete with Reiff for the guard positions.

What about this:

Trade a 4th this year and 4th next year for Trent Williams. 

Trade Harris to Miami for there 3rd. (70). 

kick Reiff into OG and give Williams an extension. Go into the draft with 6 picks in the 1st 3 rounds and wouldn’t have to worry about OT or OG... Sweet!!!

9 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

What about this:

Trade a 4th this year and 4th next year for Trent Williams. 

Trade Harris to Miami for there 3rd. (70). 

kick Reiff into OG and give Williams an extension. Go into the draft with 6 picks in the 1st 3 rounds and wouldn’t have to worry about OT or OG... Sweet!!!

Where is the money going to come from?

• Like 1