2020 Draft Talk

swede700

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

No.  While I'd certainly consider him in the 2nd round if he's there, he doesn't strike me as anything special.

Did Thomas? 

Like Thomas, Pittman has many of the nuances of the receiver position down. He’s just not as good of an athlete as some of the other receivers in his class. 

I think Pittman will be an early contributor as a receiver, and I wouldn’t be shocked to see him become the best WR out of the 2nd tier of this class. 

Edited by SemperFeist

56 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

YGM and Epenesa would be of great draft value if the Vikings got them because honestly they are better players than being picked in the 22-25 range.

I like Epenesa a lot more for the Vikings. He’s really good with his hands. His athletic testing was mediocre for what the Vikings usually look for at DE, but maybe they could use him at 3-tech or as a power DE who plays inside on 3rd downs. Zimmer often asks his DEs to play a power end role on early downs, almost like a 5-tech (3-4 DE), and that would be a good fit  

I think Epenesa is a case where the game film shows he’s a legit pass rusher (in the PFF article on YGM, Epenesa is 3rd on their list with 6 games of a pass rush grade >80, behind only Chase Young and Curtis Weaver) who would arguably go top 10-15 if he’d tested better athletically. But for guys with advanced technique, the combine metrics are less important, so I think he’d be good value at 22 of 25. Basically the opposite of YGM in terms of having a high floor, arguably a lower ceiling, and a more immediately translatable skill set. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Does anyone else get a Michael Thomas vibe from Michael Pittman Jr.?

Yep. Thomas/Brandon Marshall vibes.

Edit: maybe more Thomas because like Thomas, Pittman catches everything. Marshall was always prone to concentration drops throughout his career.

Edited by battle2heaven

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

Did Thomas? 

Like Thomas, Pittman has many of the nuances of the receiver position down. He’s just not as good of an athlete as some of the other receivers in his class. 

I think Pittman will be an early contributor as a receiver, and I wouldn’t be shocked to see him become the best WR out of the 2nd tier of this class. 

Yeah, I like Pittman a lot.

He’s actually a good athlete too. 6.96 3-cone at 220+ pounds is very good, and he jumped well too. The 40 time isn’t great at 4.52 but it’s NFL quality.

I think fans got burned by Treadwell and so they think any receiver with less than amazing speed is another bust waiting to happen (though Pittman tested way better than Treadwell).

But watching Pittman it’s hard to imagine him being anything less than a good starting WR. He runs good routes, gets open deep and has great ball skills. Plus he contributes on special teams. I’d be happy taking him anytime after the early 2nd. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Krauser said:

I like Epenesa a lot more for the Vikings. He’s really good with his hands. His athletic testing was mediocre for what the Vikings usually look for at DE, but maybe they could use him at 3-tech or as a power DE who plays inside on 3rd downs. Zimmer often asks his DEs to play a power end role on early downs, almost like a 5-tech (3-4 DE), and that would be a good fit  

I think Epenesa is a case where the game film shows he’s a legit pass rusher (in the PFF article on YGM, Epenesa is 3rd on their list with 6 games of a pass rush grade >80, behind only Chase Young and Curtis Weaver) who would arguably go top 10-15 if he’d tested better athletically. But for guys with advanced technique, the combine metrics are less important, so I think he’d be good value at 22 of 25. Basically the opposite of YGM in terms of having a high floor, arguably a lower ceiling, and a more immediately translatable skill set. 

I agree he uses his hands well and has a great get off, sure his 40 time was not great but on the field he is very quick off the edge and knows how to get off blocks.  I would be very happy if they got him and I agree having a strong DE that can hold up against the run as well is never a bad thing.  

5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Did Thomas? 

I know some people here were hot and heavy on Thomas in that draft, so I don't know.  I did like Pittman's dad though.  ;)

• Like 1

Just now, RpMc said:

Uche is a beast, not a surprise there.  This list is odd, because I believe James Lynch had the most QB pressures in college football last year, where is he on the list?  Also the percentage obviously punishes players that play all game and rewards the ones that do not with a higher percentage.  Surprised Terrell Lewis is that high, he only had 11 TFLs and 6 sacks this year and most of that was in the start of the season I think, not to mention his awful injury history which is a massive concern.  

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

Uche is a beast, not a surprise there.  This list is odd, because I believe James Lynch had the most QB pressures in college football last year, where is he on the list?  Also the percentage obviously punishes players that play all game and rewards the ones that do not with a higher percentage.  Surprised Terrell Lewis is that high, he only had 11 TFLs and 6 sacks this year and most of that was in the start of the season I think, not to mention his awful injury history which is a massive concern.  

Looks like it's more just EDGE guys than a player like Lynch who is kind of that tweener interior DL player.

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Surprised Terrell Lewis is that high, he only had 11 TFLs and 6 sacks this year and most of that was in the start of the season I think, not to mention his awful injury history which is a massive concern.  

It's because he didn't play that many snaps. But when he did, he was extremely productive. Lewis would be the perfect edge prospect for us but I wouldn't take him until late day 2 because of the injuries. He seems to be going in 2nd round though.

Just now, battle2heaven said:

It's because he didn't play that many snaps. But when he did, he was extremely productive. Lewis would be the perfect edge prospect for us but I wouldn't take him until late day 2 because of the injuries. He seems to be going in 2nd round though.

There was a report that he was medically red-flagged and dropped from the boards of certain teams - could have been smoke at this time of year though.

1 hour ago, Krauser said:

A Power DE that benched 225 17 times🤔. 35 tackles for a loss in 2 years sounds like a guy that’s really good against the run as well ( that YGM by the way )

I could care less what PFF grades players at. Just watch the film..