2020 Draft Talk

swede700

5 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Give me a Guard/Tackle and a DT. Kirk can do the job imo. Just need to protect him.

I think we need to see how this season plays out in regards to drafting a QB. Basically, Kirk needs to show that he deserves a second contract from the Vikes in what will be north of $35M per year. I don’t know what the criteria is to hit that milestone, win a playoff game, get to the championship game, not choke?

Assuming there isn’t a QB worth taking in the late first round and without having knowledge of the prospects, I think the top first round needs will be OT, DE or CB.

I think OG and DT will also be in the conversation as needs but more likely to addressed in rounds 3-5.

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

My qualifier is that unless Kirk Cousins takes the Vikings to the NFCC or Super Bowl,. I'm all for drafting a QB in one of the first 2 rounds.  A playoff appearance alone isn't enough for me to consider not taking a QB early next year.  

Depending on whose fault that is..... If the defense gives up more than thirty, I won't necessarily blame Kirk for losing a playoff game

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Depending on whose fault that is..... If the defense gives up more than thirty, I won't necessarily blame Kirk for losing a playoff game

If the defense gives up 30, then it's Kirk's job to get more than them.  He's done it before in the regular season, he especially needs to show that he can do it in the postseason.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, swede700 said:

The highest number of qbs taken in a draft in the last 15 years is 15 (2016) and I've seen Patterson somewhere in the neighborhood of the mid-teens to mid-20s among the QBs that are eligible for this draft.  He's borderline draftable at best.  I wouldn't touch him before the 7th round.

I gave you my 15, well it was well over 15.  Who are these other 15 QBs all better than Shea Patterson is?  I can name 7 but gets a little difficult after that, which is my point, value in the middle rounds potentially with him.  Outside of the first 7 or so there is a big drop off but Patterson is easily one of the better ones of that second group if you look at his quick release, athletic ability and skill of throwing on the move in motion.  

29 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I gave you my 15, well it was well over 15.  Who are these other 15 QBs all better than Shea Patterson is?  I can name 7 but gets a little difficult after that, which is my point, value in the middle rounds potentially with him.  Outside of the first 7 or so there is a big drop off but Patterson is easily one of the better ones of that second group if you look at his quick release, athletic ability and skill of throwing on the move in motion.  

Tua, Herbert, Burrow, Fromm, Eason, Love, Hurts (which are probably likely the 7 you're thinking of.

One site also has the following ahead of Patterson:

Nate Stanley (Iowa), Brian Lewerke (MSU), KJ Costello (Stanford), Kellen Mond (TXAM), Steven Montez (Colorado), Bryce Perkins (Virginia), Cole McDonald (Hawaii), Riley Neal (Vandy), Khalil Tate (AZ), Tyler Huntley (Utah), Sam Ehlinger (TX), Mason Fine (NTX), Kelly Bryant (Mizzou), Blake Barnett (USF) and Anthony Gordon (Wazzu)

That's the worst case scenario...I'm sure in my final analysis he's probably ahead of a few of them, and I'm sure that it'll change as more analysis comes out...but the extremely poor decision-making is a giant red flag.  

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Tua, Herbert, Burrow, Fromm, Eason, Love, Hurts (which are probably likely the 7 you're thinking of.

One site also has the following ahead of Patterson:

Nate Stanley (Iowa), Brian Lewerke (MSU), KJ Costello (Stanford), Kellen Mond (TXAM), Steven Montez (Colorado), Bryce Perkins (Virginia), Cole McDonald (Hawaii), Riley Neal (Vandy), Khalil Tate (AZ), Tyler Huntley (Utah), Sam Ehlinger (TX), Mason Fine (NTX), Kelly Bryant (Mizzou), Blake Barnett (USF) and Anthony Gordon (Wazzu)

That's the worst case scenario...I'm sure in my final analysis he's probably ahead of a few of them, and I'm sure that it'll change as more analysis comes out...but the extremely poor decision-making is a giant red flag.  

"site"  Have you watched all of these QBs actually play though?

This just in those are rarely updated by the way depending on the site.  If you have watched games actually if you want to talk players who will not be drafted it would be Tyler Huntley, Mason Fine, Blake Barnett, Riley Neal and maybe Cole McDonald but he has a little bit of a chance.  Lewerke has been pretty bad this year and that MSU offense has been horrible, so I doubt he is drafted but maybe as a 7th rounder, throws a decent ball but his lack of success at this level is pretty surprising after showing promise two years ago.  Ehlinger I believe will return to Texas, sure he could come out but is still a little raw in the passing game.  Kelly Bryant is a decent athlete but is not a draftable QB at all, good athlete and has a chance as a UDFA I feel, maybe 7th rounder but that is a bit of a stretch.  KJ Costello has been pretty bad this year as well, awkward release and has been injured, I would be shocked if he came out early after playing pretty poor when he is even in there.  Montez I listed, has been super inaccurate despite being around some good receivers that team has struggled and so has he, but with his size and arm strength he could be a late round guy.  Stanley is ok but Patterson has a quicker release, is more athletic, is a better ball handler and better leader arguably and competitor.  So give me Patterson all day over Stanley who is pretty stiff in the pocket and has an overrated arm.  Tate like I said I like and he could be an option but his arm is still very raw and he gets injured from time to time as well, but is athletic but Patterson has a more pure release and is a more pure passer I feel.  Perkins has a chance and I listed him as well, but is more a 7th round guy or 6th, has had an ok year but is limited in the passing game at times and is not the best game manager in terms of doing all the little things all the time.  Mond is a good player but I doubt he comes out early for this draft either.  I would not mind him over Patterson possibly but again Patterson has a better release, is better throwing on the move arguably but Mond has some things over Patterson in terms of upside but again I feel he will come back for another season at A&M.

To me watching these guys all play, a ton of them listed will not be drafted.  But if you want to base it off lists from dudes you have not seen play whatever.  I have seen all of these guys you listed off another site play, have you?  If you want to rip on players for poor decision making then what about Jalen Hurts?  Ever watch him early in his career or even now with some of the INTs he throws or the fumbles he has?  Not to mention how stiff he is in the pocket and how poor is mechanics are at times.  

Patterson in terms of throwing on the move is arguably as good as any QB in the up coming draft and with our poor OL I would want a QB who can get away from trouble and still make things happen as a backup player. Mond and Ehlinger I would not mind either but to me I have them returning to school because those top 6 or 7 they would not go ahead of those guys so why even come out when they could go a lot higher next year.

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

My qualifier is that unless Kirk Cousins takes the Vikings to the NFCC or Super Bowl,. I'm all for drafting a QB in one of the first 2 rounds.  A playoff appearance alone isn't enough for me to consider not taking a QB early next year.  

My qualifier is Zimmer and Spielman. If either are still employed by the team, and without a contract extension before the draft, I’m not interested in drafting a QB. 

I’m not interested in drafting a QB for a team that could be looking at a new decision maker and/or coaching staff in a year. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

My qualifier is Zimmer and Spielman. If either are still employed by the team, and without a contract extension before the draft, I’m not interested in drafting a QB. 

I’m not interested in drafting a QB for a team that could be looking at a new decision maker and/or coaching staff in a year. 

Then who is the backup QB next season, Jake Browning?  With Mannion being a free agent Kirk Cousins will be the only QB on the roster, him and Browning if you include a practice squad player as being on the roster.  You comfortable with that?  I would not be at all.

56 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

If Kirk doesn't take us too NFCCG, I'm fine with letting Zim\Rick go, bringing in new blood at GM\HC and QB. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

If Kirk doesn't take us too NFCCG, I'm fine with letting Zim\Rick go, bringing in new blood at GM\HC and QB. 

But are you going to do that after this year? Or 2021? If you’re letting them finish out their contracts through 2021, then there’s no point in drafting a QB in 2020.