Top 5 AFC/NFC Teams post NFL Draft?

Blackstar12

TBH, the number of times a rookie makes a year 1 impact is so rare.  Last year was probably the exception with literally 7-8 impact rookies on D at a near-elite level, and of course, Barkley/Lindsay/Mayfield on O as the big 3. 

So my ranks don't change much, TBH.  Now for 2020, sustained contention happens because of successful drafts.   

On pure roster talent, it was LAC/KC/IND, with CLE catching up.  You can't ever take NE out of a top 5 until BB/Brady show they can't overcome any roster issues.   So that's unchanged IMO.

In the NFC, there's a deeper team pool - I think what MIN did to address their one huge glaring weakness (OL), has them back there.    I think PHI/NO/LAR deserve to stay.   Honestly, like last year, the NFC is about 8+ teams deep with playoff-worthy talent.  The difference is that the AFC has caught up more with top-tier teams from last year. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheVillain112 said:

idk if they've propelled themselves into top 5, but I've been pretty impressed with what the Titans have done.  If Jeffery Simmons can play early (and look the same), I wouldn't be surprised if they push for top 5 in the AFC...

My man. I knew I always liked you @TheVillain112. I wouldn’t count on Simmons much this season. Only way I see him playing is down the stretch in maybe December or if we make the playoffs. I think it’ll come down to Mariota staying healthy. Although Tannehill really isn’t much of a drop off if any. The defense will be good again even with an inconsistent pass-rush and I’m expecting Henry to pick up where he left off. Since Robinson has taken over, he has stacked this team with talent. Only thing missing is the thing he hasn’t drafted yet and that’s a QB. Still waiting around Mariota.

Edited by ttitansfan4life

29 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

My man. I knew I always liked you @TheVillain112. I wouldn’t count on Simmons much this season. Only way I see him playing is down the stretch in maybe December or if we make the playoffs. I think it’ll come down to Mariota staying healthy. Although Tannehill really isn’t much of a drop off if any. The defense will be good again even with an inconsistent pass-rush and I’m expecting Henry to pick up where he left off. Since Robinson has taken over, he has stacked this team with talent. Only thing missing is the thing he hasn’t drafted yet and that’s a QB. Still waiting around Mariota.

Mariota has earned at least 2019 to prove he can stay healthy because he is usually pretty good. Also, in terms of pass rush, don't count out D'Andre Walker from Georgia who you drafted to play outside linebacker. Hopefully Rashaan Evans comes back healthy too.

1 hour ago, ttitansfan4life said:

1. One of the better drafts this year
  2. Signed Cam Wake and Rodger Saffold to help the OL and DL.
  3. Just recently signed Brent Urban.  I've always been a fan of Urban, and thought he played well in spurts for the Ravens.  I look at him similar to Margus Hunt, who finally stayed healthy, and put it all together last season for the Colts.  Hunt at times looked like their best DL.

It will come down to QB play on if they can get into that top 5, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did...

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

TBH, the number of times a rookie makes a year 1 impact is so rare.  Last year was probably the exception with literally 7-8 impact rookies on D at a near-elite level, and of course, Barkley/Lindsay/Mayfield on O as the big 3. 

idk about that, from briefly skimming last years draft, these are the rookies I can recall that made an impact last season (I know you noted last season was the exception):

• Baker Mayfield
  • Saquon Barkely
  • Philip Lindsay
  • Denzel Ward
  • Bradley Chubb
  • Derwin James
  • Jessie Bates
  • Quinton Nelson
  • Mike McGlinchey
  • Daron Payne
  • Jaire Alexander 
  • LVE
  • Darius Leonard

And I'm sure there's a lot of others that I missed.  I would argue that all of those guys that I listed played close to a pro bowl caliber level.  So rookies can definitely have an early impact like they did with the Colts last season.

If you go back to 2017: Jamal Adams, CMC, DeShaun Watson, Marshon Lattimore, Tre'Davious White, Ryan Ramczyk, Joe Mixon, JuJu, Alvin Kamara, Kareem Hunt, etc..

Since the rookie wage scale was put in, I'd argue that teams are relying more on rookies...

54 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Mariota has earned at least 2019 to prove he can stay healthy because he is usually pretty good. Also, in terms of pass rush, don't count out D'Andre Walker from Georgia who you drafted to play outside linebacker. Hopefully Rashaan Evans comes back healthy too.

Oh I’m definitely not counting Walker out. I think he has a little ways to go to develop as a pass-rusher but I love his motor and I like the current group of OLBs with Landry, Wake, Finch, Correa, Walker, and Evans mixing in. Evans came on strong last year after his hamstring healed(missed all of preseason) and the game slowed down for him. Very excited for the Titans defense even though it sucks Simmons won’t play much this season.

3 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I wouldn’t count on Simmons much this season.

Indeed. Tough to miss TC and expect much
Titans can carry him on PUP for 6 weeks and then they get a 3 week window to either activate or put him on IR
That gets you to early November and yer about 10 months out from surgery. Awesome pick, I was drooling over him on draft day

NFC per current Vegas odds: LAR, NO, Philly, CHI, Dal, GB

Minny, SF and Falcons are next in line. Seattle under- loved for some unknown reason

http://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/odds/futures/

• Like 1