49ers Cut thread, scrap signings, final 53 discussion

Forge

4 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Blair and Marks aren't playing the same spot, though. Solomon Thomas and Tank Carradine >>>> Blair. 

Why couldn't Blair and Marks both be competing for that back up 3 tech DT? I think they both have the disruptive capability to be successful there.

I believe it's almost certain Thomas and Carradine have he BIG DE spot nailed down.

1 minute ago, Fureys49ers said:

Why couldn't Blair and Marks both be competing for that back up 3 tech DT? I think they both have the disruptive capability to be successful there.

Blair would get moved far too easily in that spot and hasn't played a snap at 3-tech all preseason. Not saying he won't make the team - I think he might still have a decent chance at the roster. Had a good preseason. But it's at the 5-tech spot. If he's going to be versatile, more than likely it'd come at LEO than behind Buckner. The problem for Blair is the same problem Dial had - he's not a real fit in this defense.  

4 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Blair and Marks aren't playing the same spot, though. Solomon Thomas and Tank Carradine >>>> Blair. 

That's kind of what I am getting at. I didn't really pay attention to where Marks was lining up, but I assume that he was playing NT. To me It makes more sense to keep Blair around to backup DeFo as well as Thomas/Carradine at the big end than it would to keep Marks to play NT behind Earl Mitchell and possibly even DJ Jones. I don't really care for the idea of keeping Marks around if all it is going to accomplish is taking valuable snaps from D.J. Jones and maybe a couple solid plays in the regular season. We are not going to the superbowl this year, I don't see any point in keeping older-veteran role player types around. Not only do I feel Blair could be the better player at this point, his versatility is also a bonus. 

2 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

That's kind of what I am getting at. I didn't really pay attention to where Marks was lining up, but I assume that he was playing NT. To me It makes more sense to keep Blair around to backup DeFo as well as Thomas/Carradine at the big end than it would to keep Marks to play NT behind Earl Mitchell and possibly even DJ Jones. I don't really care for the idea of keeping Marks around if all it is going to accomplish is taking valuable snaps from D.J. Jones and maybe a couple solid plays in the regular season. We are not going to the superbowl this year, I don't see any point in keeping older-veteran role player types around. Not only do I feel Blair could be the better player at this point, his versatility is also a bonus. 

Marks was playing the 3 technique next to D.J. Jones at NT with the backups. He and Douzable would rotate there.

And Marks does have system knowledge with his time at Jacksonville. I remember reading when we picked him up he looked really good as a rookie and younger player and then injuries have troubled him as of late. So I'm all for keeping the potential and system knowledge as a back up.

Archived