Roster Cuts Thread

deltarich87

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

The only thing exaggerating about Williams is how non impressive he was in the pre season games.  Mays and Jones (Jones in particular) showed their quickness and elusiveness.  I just didn't see that from Williams.  I hope that Shane is right and that he needs more reps to shine.  But as a compliment to Monty, he isn't getting that kind of usage.  He will get a carry here or there.  A series here or there.  I like Jones better.  But, we shall see.  My only fear on offense is the 4 minute drill.  Monty isn't built for that kind of running and I don't think Williams has the vision or cutting ability to get those tough yards.  Jones, though, with his bowling ball size and shiftiness just may...

Defensively, I worry about the corners some.  Lots of talent there, now it just needs to come together.  We all know that a pass rush can really help that out and I'm pretty happy with our inside guys.

I just think Williams is better than the preseason he had is all. Prolly just having a harder time adjusting, I thought he had good vision/quickness/elusiveness in college, so I see a lot of upside in him. I think Monty can handle a bigger load this year also, he had a WR body last year so it made sense his carries were down, but built up his body into a more RB this year. 

2 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

It's not like any of the guys are scrubs anyways, you have only 4 games, preseasons ones at that,  to go off of. Jones and Mays showed they can do some good things, and I think people are over exaggerating over Williams. 

Another thing to consider is that Williams/Jones/Mays were mostly running behind garbage linemen. Let's pump the brakes and give these guys a chance with the starters. 

5 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I haven't seen him do anything yet that makes me think me think he is competent in any category, let alone all.   Vision.  Speed.  Elusiveness.  Maybe toughness.  A guy that runs that high is going to have to be tough to survive in the league.

It's not like he got allot of carriers this PS. When he did he did allot of running into the line which sucked but he's young and likely a little over eager. Will take him a few games to get into things. Lets see what the young ones are like once they get a few carriers under their belts in the regular season. He did have 3 catches against the Broncos for 46 yards which is a nice clip. And his blocking is good for a rook. We don't get near the looks that the coaches get and this PS it sure didn't seem like MM was really eager to run the ball. We threw it allot.

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I hope that Shane is right

That would be an anomaly...

Here's a cool article from OTC on the nuances of cutting vets so they aren't on the roster week 1 and aren't guaranteed full years' salary

. https://overthecap.com/nfl-teams-cut-veterans-day-opening-game

We talked about this in terms of whether or not GB would pursue a veteran IOL

On 9/7/2017 at 5:03 PM, BlondeonBlonde said:

Another thing to consider is that Williams/Jones/Mays were mostly running behind garbage linemen. Let's pump the brakes and give these guys a chance with the starters. 

They were all running behind poor o-lines.  Jones and Mays showed some good athletic ability.  Williams did not.  I'll happily give him a chance, but I see him being leapfrogged by Jones pretty quickly.

On 9/7/2017 at 0:16 PM, vegas492 said:

I haven't seen him do anything yet that makes me think me think he is competent in any category, let alone all.   Vision.  Speed.  Elusiveness.  Maybe toughness.  A guy that runs that high is going to have to be tough to survive in the league.

I certainty have and believe he's correctly placed on the depth chart as the 2nd RB due to the quality of his all around play.  If Montgomery gets injured, he is capable of being the every down back the Packers would need.

On 9/9/2017 at 7:40 AM, vegas492 said:

They were all running behind poor o-lines. 

I'd be interested in knowing who they were running against. Some teams played their #1 D a short time, others longer in preseason. That surely has an impact too, but I don't remember if Williams always got the earliest slot followed by Jones and Mays or if they mixed em up.

Running behind OL2 vs #1 D would be tough sledding for anybody. Jones did look good though

To be fair, in his two carries that I remember from the game...talking Williams here.  He looked faster than he did in the pre-season.  He ran into the backs of the line, no vision there, but at least he got there quickly.  At least he's running a little more like Starks from his younger years.....

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

To be fair, in his two carries that I remember from the game...talking Williams here.  He looked faster than he did in the pre-season.  He ran into the backs of the line, no vision there, but at least he got there quickly.  At least he's running a little more like Starks from his younger years.....

So you are saying he isn't a patient runner like say Le'veon Bell?

"On the rookie front, Jamaal Williams played six snaps, Devante Mays played none and Aaron Jones was inactive. On a 6-yard carry, Frank Clark showed up in Williams’ face three yards deep in the backfield. Williams stuck his foot in the ground, bounced outside and, with his head down and two arms around the ball turned a negative into a positive. "

2 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

You didn't catch my sarcasm?  How's it going Vegas?  Long time no talk.  

Sorry, no I did not.  I was hoping that was the same ole Eyecatcher, though!  Happy to see you here.  Like the new site?  Pretty awesome in my book!  I hope you've been well!

Archived