2019 Offseason Trade Rumors & Free Agency Thread

resilient part 2

1 minute ago, showtime said:

I never heard Williams say that, it was some dude on TV today who said Williams said it, if I remember correctly.  Also, I get Toronto is a great city, but so is Los Angeles or several other cities in the United States.

He's quoted in the article I linked saying it. I liked Lou a lot during his time here, and he seemed to enjoy himself too (even got himself name-dropped in a Drake song). Him changing is tune on that podcast recently is either a recruiting tactic or hurt feelings or both. I'm sure a lot of players have reservations about playing in Canada, but the majority of them seem to embrace the city once they're here. Kawhi had a year to experience the city and said in an interview it was the most fun year he's ever had playing basketball.

I'm not saying LA and a few other American cities don't compare, more responding to this idea from American media that Toronto is some kind of frozen wasteland. It's the third-largest city in North America, incredibly diverse, and offers a fanbase of 35+ million when you take into account all of Canada.

1 hour ago, kempus said:

Their spacing will be abominable. A team of 5 non shooters.

People on here really think that their spacing is going to be better next year. Like what reality do we live in? Redick is one of the few elite shooters in the league and Butler is an elite offensive player. They replaced those two with an okay shooter and an aging center that's a meh scorer. Driving and dishing the ball to Redick or Butler is much different than driving and dishing the ball to Horford or Rihcardson. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Two center lineups surrounded by meh shooting isn't really the modern game though. They'll be very good defensively but I see them having issues in the postseason. 

Al cant easily be a stretch 4. He doesnt move like the Blakes or Gianis of the world, but its not the end of the world. Elite back to the backboard skills is still viable in today's NBA. Despite that, his job isnt to score, its EVERYTHING else. That is his best utilization and the sixers are in prime position to make that work. 

30 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

People on here really think that their spacing is going to be better next year. Like what reality do we live in? Redick is one of the few elite shooters in the league and Butler is an elite offensive player. They replaced those two with an okay shooter and an aging center that's a meh scorer. Driving and dishing the ball to Redick or Butler is much different than driving and dishing the ball to Horford or Rihcardson. 

The first 2 guys shot a combined high 36% from 3 last year.

• Want to guess at the career averages of the 2 guys who will replace them?
  • Also, why would they not dish to Harris as well?
  • Or pass to Embiid for a monster dunk?

Their spacing will be similar to last year and their defense will be incredible.

They are the best team in the East right now, even if Kawhi returns to Toronto.

If you want a hideous shooting team that will have no spacing... try the Lakers.

36 minutes ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Homie’s not gonna be  able to afford to live in SF. Stockton here he comes lol

I think the NBA just fixed all that Salary Cap stuff.

Just pay every one of your players to be in a movie like Space Jam.

They will be giving away 4 million dollar trade kickers left and right...

3 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

At C, where they don't have anyone.

Harrell has come off the bench at the 5 rather effectively last season.  We extended a qualifying offer to Zubac today, so at minimum we're able to match whatever he's offered by another team.  Angel Delgado is gravy at this point but he was making mincemeat of the G-League last season.  And Doc has always - it seems ( @MookieMonstah can confirm or deny back to his time in Boston) has always played with an undersized center, as long as he has other stretch-4's on the floor with them.  Ultimately Morris is a better fit for what we do at both ends of the court.

2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

He's a glue guy and a strong veteran presence who does the small things and helps galvanize the team. He is exactly the guy they need in Philly IMO

He's also the one guy that Embiid, IIRC, historically just consistently wet the bed matched up against.  So, granted it's an expensive way to go about it, this is effectively addition by subtraction - it's just subtraction of guys who defended Embiid well from the roster of another team in the East.

8 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Harrell has come off the bench at the 5 rather effectively last season.  We extended a qualifying offer to Zubac today, so at minimum we're able to match whatever he's offered by another team.  Angel Delgado is gravy at this point but he was making mincemeat of the G-League last season.  And Doc has always - it seems ( @MookieMonstah can confirm or deny back to his time in Boston) has always played with an undersized center, as long as he has other stretch-4's on the floor with them.  Ultimately Morris is a better fit for what we do at both ends of the court.

eh, doc in boston didn't really play undersized centers. baby occasionally. brandon bass was always a 4.

but off the top of my head, perk, sheed, semih erden, stiemsma, shaq, ryan hollins, al jeff.... all pretty standard 5s. 

2 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

eh, doc in boston didn't really play undersized centers. baby occasionally. brandon bass was always a 4.

but off the top of my head, perk, sheed, semih erden, stiemsma, shaq, ryan hollins, al jeff.... all pretty standard 5s. 

I should clarify by "undersized," I'm more referring to not being a "true 7-footer."  Seemed like wing-span was preferred over out-and-out height.  Outside of Shaq, Hollins was really the closest thing you guys had to a true 7-footer and he was more of a journeyman, size-off-the-bench player for you, was he not?  I recall his minutes being roughly as limited for you guys as they were with us the following couple seasons when he came to us.

Archived