Chiefs Trade for LB Darron Lee

chiefs82

He's still really young, really athletic, great in coverage, and has value as a blitzer. Throw in the fact that he was never a 3-4 ILB and always going to be a 4-3 OLB or sideline to sideline guy/hybrid EDGE, and I think that he's still got some value with upside in the potential realm. JMHO

12 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

A 6th. A freakin 6th. A starting ILB, who's still under his rookie contract, who was a former 1st rd pick, and who was great in coverage last year is dealt for a future nobody. If Gase doesn't win 10 games next season, I hope he's laughed out of the league.

i was hoping we would have done this trade. i suggested this trade as a 1 year stop gap kinda measure cuz our LBer corps is fairly unsettled we have 2 of the 3 starting Lbers decided but look at our canidates to be our 3rd starting LBer.   

Myles jack is on record saying he wants to be our Mike and it certainly seems thats what Marrone wants as well(god i want to be bad next year to get rid of him, caldwell, and coughlin). 

https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/15/myles-jack-says-hell-remain-at-mike-lb-despite-the-absence-of-telvin-smith/

After landing Williams, the Jags proceeded to add veterans Ramik Wilson, Najee Goode, and D.J. Alexander, who coach Doug Marrone singled out alongside Williams when he was asked about Smith last week. Now, it’s a matter of the competition unfolding during offseason training activities and training camp, but it’s pretty clear they want Jack to remain at MIKE linebacker.

thats a pretty meh list of linebackers. 

9 hours ago, NateDawg said:

This is so bizarre.  I've been thinking all off-season that the Giants were the New York franchise that was the biggest mess.  The Jets are really making it close. 

i think gase has the jets out in front by a nose at this moment but never fail cuz gettlemen will do something unpredictable and bad sooner then later(id LOL if there was an ELI extension in the works). 

I think that the Steelers would have been interested and probably offered higher compensation had they not traded up and gotten Devin Bush. They love former Ohio State players and I believe that he was a teammate of Ryan Shazier for a year or two before he was drafted.  I have always liked him. He seemed like he was improving each year. He has speed and is athletic enough to play in today's pass happy NFL as a coverage ILB. I think the PED suspension definitely hurt his stock (despite how so many others have been clipped and not penalized in the court of public opinion despite their suspensions). 

This looks like a good move if he can have some success in KC and they can sign him to a long term deal.  Something is going on in Jet-land as they have made some peculiar moves over the past two days. 

Obviously, I think that this is a good trade for the Chiefs as it does continue to help the defense, and they could really use the boost. That being said, I'm not all that surprised by the compensation. It's certainly not atypical when former first round picks on rookie deals get dealt, and when we have seen this in the past, those guys usually had 2 years left on their deal rather than one (Laken Tomlinson, Irving got slightly more w/2 years while Corey Coleman actually got traded for less with 2 years left on the deal). It's very clear that for whatever reason, there's not a whole lot of love for Lee out there. That's the type of deal that can easily be beaten if teams have the desire to do so, and nobody chose to do it. And it's not like there weren't teams out there with a need at the position. 

I wish the 49ers had been in on this deal just from a depth standpoint as I'm happy to give up a 6th for one year of Lee and potentially re-sign him on a fair deal. 

• Like 1

Do you really think the Jets would just settle for a 6th if teams were willing to pay more? This is clearly his market value in NFL circles. The Jets couldn't even get a 5th out of KC, that's how little the league thinks of him.

Lee is overrated, only having one small stretch of good play and getting popped for PED's after, and really wasn't a good fit in our 3-4 defense. He needs to be a 4-3 WILL where he can simply attack and flow to the ball, he isn't a downhill type of player. Not a strong run stopper at all. Not to mention, we drafted his replacement in Blake Cashman and he's going to walk for nothing next year. Now we don't have to pay him the $3.4 mil he was due either, so I don't hate the move. It's pretty non-consequential. 

• Like 1

Good coverage LB that the chiefs could get a 6th comp pick for the following year.   Well worth the cost for very little money and draft capital.  Nice ability to cover the rb out of the backfield, Just don't ask him to fight off the block to make a tackle. 

Don't see how it makes much sense for the jets just to get a 6th a year earlier.  With all the moves they made I Thought a coverage LB only making a couple of mill was better off on the roster. Maybe there was a clash with the coach

Edited by patman

23 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Yesssss. Instantly our best LB. I know that's not saying much, but that's a crazy cheap upgrade.

I disagree with this. Likely he's instantly the starting WLB. The best LB is Hitchens returning to his natural position at MLB. While it will take some time to gel, this is 2/3 of a solid LB group. Now we need to find a SLB

J

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

I disagree with this. Likely he's instantly the starting WLB. The best LB is Hitchens returning to his natural position at MLB. While it will take some time to gel, this is 2/3 of a solid LB group. Now we need to find a SLB

J

I will believe that Hitchens isn't who he was last year when I see it. I'm hopeful he returns to form, but I can't view it as certain.

• Like 1

Of course, it's not certain. Nothing in the NFL is certain, but Hitchens looked like he was playing out of position last year. In a 4-3 needs less athleticism and more diagnostics. He also has a DC that will put him in situations that draw on his strengths not his lacks. IMO he will be better once the new system settles in.

J