The Batman

Acgott

24 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Not at all.  they blend the old school 3 and Falcone perfectly.  It had a Long Halloween meets Hush vibe to me.

I'm going back in a few days to see how I feel it stacks up against The dark Night.  Ledger was a better central character, but this movie just feels better.  And a lot better than the other two Nolan movies.  And as much as I doubted Pattinson at first, he played it out well.  They could definitely take his character beyond the Gotham realm if they ever got their ish together enough to make it worthwhile.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this movie looked better than The Dark Knight also. Nolan always had a relatively weaker visual palette compared to his contemporaries. I think Interstellar was one of the biggest improvements because he switched to a new cinematographer.

• Like 1

To be succinct; Awesome

It was gripping the whole time even at parts I knew were coming (comic/movie deduction). I think they nailed every casting, and they all seemed to buy in to their characters. Some will have nit picks with Penguin, but I loved it. This needed alittle camp, and while it seems weird to say that, they pull it off with out jarring you out of the vibe of the movie  

it can not be said enough, this film looks AMAZING. And it does a great job of bringing you into Gotham, making it a character as it should. They do a ton of world building, which I could see some getting overwhelmed with, but I love it, and showed me how much Reeves appreciates what he gets to do here.

The final scene in Arkham didn’t need to happen, and people will bash it for trying too hard, but it in now way hurts the film either. If it was an MCU movie that would have been a post credit scene and no one would bat an eye. 

Can’t wait to discuss this further and see it plenty more times. Hope Reeves and Pattinson see a true trilogy (maybe more?) through. Would be really interesting to see where he goes after such a gritty serial killer movie with this one and the Riddler

Edited by StLunatic88
  • Like 5

Absolutely blew every other live action take out of the water in terms of how it felt for me. They nailed Gotham. Loved the style. In a lot of ways this is the Batman film I’ve always wanted.

Pattinson was great with a lot left on the bone for him to grow. Especially with balancing a life, even a phony one.

Zoe really did a great job, never been that big on her acting (just in the middle) but really embodied the character.

My fiancée already is sick of me quoting the Penguin haha, Ferrell did great and I am excited to see him grow into more in the spin-off.

Could go on but the cast as a whole was great.

Can’t way to see more and to see it again.

Biggest gripe is the trailers really did show a lot.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

When can we talk spoilers? I have raving to do.

feel free to use the tag

Spoiler

my general rule is let at least a full week pass

If the discussion warrants it I will open a spoiler thread. Was hard to judge if this was one of those. Didn't even need it for NWH

• Like 1

Spoiler

This movie was so well written it blew my mind. Every character was great. Riddler was amazing. Penguin was amazing, and is set up huge going forward. Selena was amazing. Gordon too. But best of all was Batman. I can not think of a more perfect 'early stages" Batman than this. He doesn't even know how to pretend to be Bruce Wayne. He's so consumed by his need for vengeance that he's literally Batman 100% of the time whether the mask is on or not. So much so that Riddler literally thought they were allies, and his buddies are saying "I'm vengeance".

It's a distinction Batman will need to make to succeed. You see him make plenty of mistakes in this film. Like he was clearly afraid of heights the first time he uses the Batwing thing. I loved it because he was prepared enough to have it but also not exactly thrilled to need it, and then gets owned because it's his first time. The scene showing his realization of what hero Gotham needs (and I wish they didn't spell it out-the scene did it justice) was perfect. They don't need a ruthless vigilante. They need a hero.

The intro's in this movie were amazing. Riddler intro, Batman intro where they fear him even when he isn't there, the Batmobile, etc. It's all gold. The contacts that record was an awesome touch that fits perfectly. Teasing Hush was super cool. Teasing Joker and friends was super cool. The shot of Penguin waddling was a great touch. The Batmobile chase scene was great. The scene at the end where Batman/Selena are side by side but have to take opposite paths, and Batman even glances back for a bit...again I just can't say enough about how well this was written.

I also like that Riddler was a legit threat. He was terrifiying and his plan might not have been a complete success but it was damn close. He completely fooled Batman. He flooded Gotham and certainly killed dozens if not hundreds. His characterization was outstanding too. He's still a child. You see this when he randomly loses his **** if someone doesn't go his way. He's a genius but has no composure because he never really grew up in that orphanage.

I'm scatterbrained on these points because I loved this movie and I'm so hyped. It kept getting better and better as it went on until it hit near-masterpeice levels. No one in this is movie stands out to the extent Ledger did so it might not peak as high as TDK but it's not far off, and overall has virtually no weaknesses. I absolutely cannot wait to see more (there has to be). You can do so much. Hush. Joker/Riddler and friends until Joker inevitably betrays them. Reeves said he'd like Mr. Freeze...he could make all of it work.

• Like 5

Here's my spoiler free thoughts:

1. Matt Reeves loves shinning lights in the audience eyes... prick

2. This is likely the closest "comic book" story you could have hoped for. Say what you will about ANY of the previous Batman films, but they all have one thing in common; ultimately they were action flicks. This is a thriller through and through. Its chasing the villain before he does the next horrible thing. Its analyzing the clues at crime scenes and letting them lead you to the next thing. It's a detective flick. While previous flicks have expositioned away the clue analysis this movie rolls around in it. 

3. The actions scenes were still there, and they were pitch perfect

4. Each character had a distinct role to play in the overall narrative and their place in the narrative seemed natural and their starting points and motivations made sense

5. Bruce Wayne does not exist in this movie. He barely knows who he is as The Batman yet let alone his real mask. While I know it was a point of discussion in this thread, the lack of a Bruce Wayne not only makes sense for the content and hero's journey of this flick but it also WORKS. 

6. The parallels between Batman and Riddler were played perfectly. 

7. The run time only bothered me briefly once, and I got over it as soon as they jumped to the next big plot point. I honestly don't know where you would cut. 

8. I am not sold on Serkis's Alfred. He didn't get a ton of screen time and maybe thats why but probably the weakest character in the film for me. 

9. The aesthetic and cinematography was great

10. Some of the dialogue was not great, especially with side characters. 

11. They dont go over the origin story, thank god. However this is still an origin story of sorts. 

Overall: B+

• Like 5

I dont really go to theaters anymore to see movies....but this is really tempting me to.   My buddy wants to go see it, so I may break down and go either this weekend or next.     I might just go by myself at some point.

Im excited to see this, but a few spoiler free reviews I saw confirmed what I saw from the trailers (but since it is slightly spoiler-ish)..

Spoiler

...that there is really no difference between Bruce Wayne and Batman.    Several have confirmed that Bruce Wayne is very brooding and acts relatively the same all the time.     I dont blame Pattinson for that, and Im not saying it will affect the quality of the overall film for me....but it does disappoint me somewhat.    Thats a BIG part of the character that is seemingly just ignored.     Although based on what ive heard, he spends most of the film as Batman and not a ton of screen time as public Bruce Wayne.

Either way, it sounds like a winner.

It sucks that they seemingly hit home runs with these non-extended universe movies, but largely shiz the bed with anything that connects to the other stuff.    

11 hours ago, Xenos said:

I’m worried that it’ll be cluttered with so many characters. Did they resolve this or was it a mixed bag?

The long halloween comparison is accurate, but this is way better than the long halloween imo, that didnt hold up as much to repeat reading. Its the best batman movie, nailed everything for the fans of the character and vibe, my only gripe is that one character was mentioned so many times but he wasnt shown in the movie, and that case was essential to everything and he wasnt shown, or how it happened. Didnt want to sound down on it it is a great film, it was what i always wanted and what i thought we would get from watching the trailers. didnt want to say too much to color expectations until everyone saw it.

Edited by ifeelasleep
  • Like 2