2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

6 minutes ago, Mr Raider said:

I've cooled a lot on Brown. I had him as one of the elite blue chip prospects of the draft, but recently I've moved him down my big board. I even bumped Kinlaw ahead of him. I think he ends up being a dominant NT thats impossible to move in the run game and gives you a couple of sacks a season (2-4) but I don't believe he is athletic enough to cause a ton of pressure in the NFL. His strength is still ridiculous and it will even give NFL linemen problems, but to truly pressure the QB you also have to be athletic enough to close the distance, I simply don't think he is. And if he isnt, a dominant, run stuffing NT isn't enough value in the top 12. I would pass on him unless the top 3 wideouts, Kinlaw, Simmons, and Tua are all off the board. And I don't see that being the case. 

I agree entirely, pass rush is such a precious commodity. Pleased to see its not just me who prefers Kinlaw but can understand why guys like Brown, he'll be a very good player but not the elite pass rusher or penetrator people are clamouring for.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

I think pick 92 is a great place to take the best RB available. 

Our first 4 picks need to go to defense/WR imo. After filling those picks I’d spend a pick on a RB but no sooner imo. 

Really defends on value. If you can get someone of starting caliber, like Clyde there then I’d do it. But it’s not a huge need. We can probably land a decent runner like moss in the 4th or 5th. That or sign some castoff to a vet min deal.

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Henderson is 6’1” 205 and put up 25 bench reps. Definitely not a thin frame. He needs to improve his tackling but he has legit #1 CB ability in coverage.

Not doubting his coverage ability, I’ve seen plenty of it. The point is he actually “refuses” to tackle on several plays. I don’t know if Mayock will covet this mentality. To a lesser extent, he also skipped his bowl game, which some GMs absolutely hate, I’d assume Mayock might be one of those. 

I could see Fulton higher on Mayocks board even though he’s worse in coverage. He’s much more physical. 

However, to me, picking a CB at 19 instead of trading into the 2nd Round is just horrid value. There is honestly not much of a gap between CJ Henderson, Kristian Fulton, Jaylon Johnson, Jeff Gladney, Damon Arnette, Trevon Diggs, and AJ Terrell. They are all very very closely together in the same tier. I’d rather draft one in the 2nd than 19. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

I think pick 92 is a great place to take the best RB available. 

Our first 4 picks need to go to defense/WR imo. After filling those picks I’d spend a pick on a RB but no sooner imo. 

We also will definitely go Guard in the 3rd or 4th Rd, with or without Gabe on the roster. Personally I think we go Guard at 91 and RB in the 4th. 

9 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Not doubting his coverage ability, I’ve seen plenty of it. The point is he actually “refuses” to tackle on several plays. I don’t know if Mayock will covet this mentality. To a lesser extent, he also skipped his bowl game, which some GMs absolutely hate, I’d assume Mayock might be one of those. 

I could see Fulton higher on Mayocks board even though he’s worse in coverage. He’s much more physical. 

However, to me, picking a CB at 19 instead of trading into the 2nd Round is just horrid value. There is honestly not much of a gap between CJ Henderson, Kristian Fulton, Jaylon Johnson, Jeff Gladney, Damon Arnette, Trevon Diggs, and AJ Terrell. They are all very very closely together in the same tier. I’d rather draft one in the 2nd than 19. 

Henderson was nursing a knee injury throughout the season. 2018 tape he was much more competitive and physical. Should he have risked his health and draft position to play in a bowl game? 

Henderson is clearly the second best CB in the class behind Okudah. And realistically can start from day one. The two biggest knocks on him have been physicality/tackling. He came into the combine at 205 and was the leader in bench reps plus looked the smoothest in all of the on field drills. He's the only CB we can get after Okudah that I'd feel confident going into the season as a day one starter, his coverage skills are that good. 

We also will definitely go Guard in the 3rd or 4th Rd, with or without Gabe on the roster. Personally I think we go Guard at 91 and RB in the 4th. 

I do too. With Good as insurance, I think we may see Gabe traded or even cut at some point. I would be surprised if we didn’t add an olineman in the draft

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Henderson was nursing a knee injury throughout the season. 2018 tape he was much more competitive and physical. Should he have risked his health and draft position to play in a bowl game? 

Henderson is clearly the second best CB in the class behind Okudah. And realistically can start from day one. The two biggest knocks on him have been physicality/tackling. He came into the combine at 205 and was the leader in bench reps plus looked the smoothest in all of the on field drills. He's the only CB we can get after Okudah that I'd feel confident going into the season as a day one starter, his coverage skills are that good. 

The tackling/physicality is a bigger issue than you are making it though. And it’s not that he is “bad” at it, it’s that he refuses to do it entirely at times. It’s a mental thing, which is something you usually can’t coach. Mayock probably won’t draft a guy who refuses who tackle. 

Here is Kyle Crabbs take on his tackling from Draft Network:

Tackling - Irregular and appears to make some business decisions. If he catches a ball carrier or receiver not square to contact, he'll run through bodies and deliver some big hits. But in head up situations, appears to not want to get railroaded or doesn't trust his strength to wrap up. 

The tackling/physicality is a bigger issue than you are making it though. And it’s not that he is “bad” at it, it’s that he refuses to do it entirely at times. It’s a mental thing, which is something you usually can’t coach. Mayock probably won’t draft a guy who refuses who tackle. 

He was protecting his banged up knee this year. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

He was protecting his banged up knee this year. 

Do we really know that for sure? We’ve seen countless times where a serious injury happens and a certain player never plays aggressive ever again. Carr/Mariota are two examples on our roster. Very aggressive in 2016. Two of the most passive QBs in the league 2017-2019. 

We don’t know if that injury is always going to be on his mind. 

I mean if Mayock picks him at 19, I’ll endorse it. His coverage ability is fantastic, and even in situations he’s beat, he easily plays catch up with his 4.3 speed and gets a swat. 

We’ll see what happens. 

Just now, BayRaider said:

Do we really know that for sure? We’ve seen countless times where a serious injury happens and a certain player never plays aggressive ever again. Carr/Mariota are two examples on our roster. Very aggressive in 2016. Two of the most passive QBs in the league 2017-2019. 

We don’t know if that injury is always going to be on his mind. 

I mean if Mayock picks him at 19, I’ll endorse it. His coverage ability is fantastic, and even in situations he’s beat, he easily plays catch up with his 4.3 speed and gets a swat. 

We’ll see what happens. 

The one thing that makes me feel better is that he displayed he can gain weight and still be extremely explosive and that he was the strongest CB at the combine. 

13 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Terrell is higher regarded than Mullen was coming into the draft and we seen how Mullen ended up. Would love to grab him with a trade back but it wouldnt surprise me one bit if we grab him at #19

Terrell is basically a better Mullen according to several people. I don’t agree, I think Mullen’s Hips/Fluidly/Technique is better than Terrell. But they are similar corners, very similar. And DJ, who probably knows Mayocks scouting tendencies better than anyone, says Terrell is probably Mayocks favorite corner outside Okudah. 

We’ll find out come draft day. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Bay is absolutely spot on about Henderson.  I watched several YouTube games of Henderson today and OMFG he is such a girl! 

he literally purposely stays blocked, zero desire to get off blocks by WR.

he arm tackles without breaking down, never puts his shoulder into the tackle or drives into the ball carrier 

if his teammate is attempting to make a tackle he literally prances around trying not to get involved

he has horrible form, he tries to just toss players down by grabbing them around the shoulders

its actually embarrassing for a young man to be so afraid of physical contact.

hes got mid-late first round coverage skills but he’s such a girl I think he’s going to get physically abused by big, physical WRs in the nfl

Im not even being excessive when I say the guy tackles like a girl.... go watch for yourself it’s embarrassing