Official 2020 DL/EDGE Thread

CalhounLambeau

8 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

This DL group is horrendous. Probably the worst I can remember. Chase Young and Derrick Brown are the only studs. Absolutely zero depth or exciting later-round picks IMO. Practically zero high upside pass rushers. 

Haven't leaked over to the iDL group yet, but ya the EDGE class is pretty underwhelming. 

6 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Anyone have comps they feel good about for Darrell Taylor, Alton Robinson, or Kenny Willikes? 

I'm admittedly not good at player comps. With that said, all 3 guys are best off as 34LBs at the next level. Taylor and Alton have similar potential, with Taylor being a more pro-ready run defender and Alton being a more pro-ready pass rusher, but both are athletic in the open field. Willekes is more of a mid-late rounder who should provide solid depth and special teams ability but you'd never really want him starting. 

7 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

I'm admittedly not good at player comps. With that said, all 3 guys are best off as 34LBs at the next level. Taylor and Alton have similar potential, with Taylor being a more pro-ready run defender and Alton being a more pro-ready pass rusher, but both are athletic in the open field. Willekes is more of a mid-late rounder who should provide solid depth and special teams ability but you'd never really want him starting. 

Do you see Alton or Taylor going first? Both should be off the board late day 2 I’d assume?

KW a 5th rounder? 4th at best?

2 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Do you see Alton or Taylor going first? Both should be off the board late day 2 I’d assume?

KW a 5th rounder? 4th at best?

I currently have Taylor and Alton right next to each other in my rankings, but I'd assume Taylor goes first due to this size profile advantage. Both have some character red flags that could seriously influence their draft placement. 

4th round at best for Willekes with a better chance of slipping to the 6th. 

2 hours ago, SaveOurSonics said:

I currently have Taylor and Alton right next to each other in my rankings, but I'd assume Taylor goes first due to this size profile advantage. Both have some character red flags that could seriously influence their draft placement. 

4th round at best for Willekes with a better chance of slipping to the 6th. 

Thanks for the info man. If you don’t mind me asking what kind of character concerns are we looking at with DT and AR?

3 hours ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Anyone have comps they feel good about for Darrell Taylor, Alton Robinson, or Kenny Willikes? 

It's hard to come up with comparisons for the first two because they're boom/bust prospects. Maybe Charles Harris for Alton Robinson. He has tools to win the edge, but he plays such a weak, soft brand of football. He's the definition of finesse. With Darrell Taylor, maybe Kemoko Turay? It feels like the sum is much weaker than the individual parts. He has the traits, but he doesn't do nearly enough with them. Very gifted. On Willekes, I might say Justin Lawler. He's a hustle dude. Doesn't have the traits. But plays hard and has some savvy.

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

It's hard to come up with comparisons for the first two because they're boom/bust prospects. Maybe Charles Harris for Alton Robinson. He has tools to win the edge, but he plays such a weak, soft brand of football. He's the definition of finesse. With Darrell Taylor, maybe Kemoko Turay? It feels like the sum is much weaker than the individual parts. He has the traits, but he doesn't do nearly enough with them. Very gifted. On Willekes, I might say Justin Lawler. He's a hustle dude. Doesn't have the traits. But plays hard and has some savvy.

Oh I like the Charles Harris comp. Thanks jrry 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Turay is a perfect Darrell Taylor comparison. He has a very good ceiling, but doesn't seem to have the mental aptitude to reach it. He makes the same mistakes over and over again.

Charles Harris to Alton Robinson is good, although I think Robinson has more juice. Harris never impressed me and he didn't really show the ability to play smooth out on the edge.

Kenny Willekes is Paul Kruger. A bit stiff, but makes plays with his hustle and technique. Very nuanced pass rusher. Stout against the run. Limited upside.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Turay is a perfect Darrell Taylor comparison. He has a very good ceiling, but doesn't seem to have the mental aptitude to reach it. He makes the same mistakes over and over again.

Charles Harris to Alton Robinson is good, although I think Robinson has more juice. Harris never impressed me and he didn't really show the ability to play smooth out on the edge.

Kenny Willekes is Paul Kruger. A bit stiff, but makes plays with his hustle and technique. Very nuanced pass rusher. Stout against the run. Limited upside.

Anae came to mind for me more with Kruger, but that just might be bias because they both played at Utah. But I could see it with Willekes. I know we see him differently, but it is in a way similar. Seems we both agree he's very limited on traits. Difference is how far we think his savvy can take him.

16 hours ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Thanks for the info man. If you don’t mind me asking what kind of character concerns are we looking at with DT and AR?

With Darrell there have been multiple reported cases/suspensions due to fights both with opponents and teammates. He's known to have some anger issues. 

With Alton there have been two incidents of what I would very lightly refer to as domestic violence. Twice now he has reportedly pushed his girlfriend and stole her purse (two different girls I believe), which is why he originally went from a Texas A&M commit to playing at Northeastern Oklahoma A&M. 

7 hours ago, SaveOurSonics said:

With Darrell there have been multiple reported cases/suspensions due to fights both with opponents and teammates. He's known to have some anger issues. 

With Alton there have been two incidents of what I would very lightly refer to as domestic violence. Twice now he has reportedly pushed his girlfriend and stole her purse (two different girls I believe), which is why he originally went from a Texas A&M commit to playing at Northeastern Oklahoma A&M. 

Yikes. Didn’t know that about them. Morons. Of course, the only athletic high upside pass rushers that can be had later on are idiots (sans Jabari Zuniga). 

On 4/20/2020 at 4:56 PM, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Darrell Taylor = Brian Orakpo

I've been comparing him to Orakpo since his sophomore year.