Official 2020 DL/EDGE Thread

CalhounLambeau

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I think Chaisson is going to drop further than people expect. Unless a team falls in love with his athleticism.

He’s very stout against the run, which is saving his meh ability as a pure pass rusher. I look at Montez Sweat from last year. He was an adequate edge rusher, but surprisingly great against the run. That’s kind of how I view Chaisson, but I think Chaisson has shown more pure bend and rush versatility despite his inconsistencies. I see him going between 20-30 in the draft, which to me, is about where he has been slated to go. 

Everything people want him to be exists in Zack Baun, in my opinion. I’d take Baun over Chaisson, but am willing to concede that Chaisson’s upside as a DE is higher. 

On 4/10/2020 at 3:32 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

What are the takes on Willekes? 

Try-hard guy? Does he have upside and will be taken higher than people expect?

I like him a lot. He is one of the most nuanced pass rushers in the class. Sets up his moves nicely. Consistently pesters QBs and RB’s in the run and pass game. Stout run defender, but he does take himself out of his gap sometimes on 50/50 run/pass downs, getting sack-greedy. Has been able to bend the edge against good OT’s, but he isn’t a speed rusher by any sense. Just slithery when he comes to contact. A very good player with limited juice. Love his effort and intensity and think he’s being severely undervalued as a rusher. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BleedTheClock said:

I like him a lot. He is one of the most nuanced pass rushers in the class. Sets up his moves nicely. Consistently pesters QBs and RB’s in the run and pass game. Stout run defender, but he does take himself out of his gap sometimes on 50/50 run/pass downs, getting sack-greedy. Has been able to bend the edge against good OT’s, but he isn’t a speed rusher by any sense. Just slithery when he comes to contact. A very good player with limited juice. Love his effort and intensity and think he’s being severely undervalued as a rusher. 

Sounds better than I expected. What sort of range is he going to drafted in you think?

On 4/13/2020 at 10:23 AM, BleedTheClock said:

Probably late 3rd at best. More of a 4th-5th round range, from what I’ve seen. Id be fine burning an early 3rd on the guy, but I don’t think you have to. 

Jeez, man, I know we don't see eye to eye on the kid, but this shocks me. I have a lot of respect for your opinions, but I don't see that at all with Willekes. I'm already concerned about Jon Greenard's lack of standout physical traits when considering if pass rushers who rely more on savvy than ability will win at the next level. At least Greenard has an explosive get-off, the quickness to cause problems for OTs with his inside move, and nearly 35 inch arms. I'd take a shot on him because I think he still has potential to unlock (was hesitant to uses his hands to potential in 2019 because of the 2018 wrist injury) and his footwork/quickness make him very difficult to defend. But I think Greenard is a guy who might produce against the lesser OTs but struggle against the better tackles in the NFL unless he develops his hand usage and a legit speed-to-power rush and stab move.

Willekes has none of that. He lacks length, explosiveness, and speed to the edge. And his quickness and power are very pedestrian. I see a guy who gets by purely on effort and savvy. I think it's going to be hard for him to win that way in the NFL where the tackles are a lot more talented and better coached on average. I just don't see Willekes doing much in the NFL besides cleaning plays up with effort, holding his own in the run game, and working his butt off on special teams. It's worthwhile to take a shot on that on Day Three, but the third round seems like a huge reach.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

To the guys who want to draft Derrick Brown or Javon Kinlaw in the first round. Would you instead trade that pick for Quinnen Williams?

If I knew the gun charge wasn't going to lead to anything, I'd take a first round pick for Williams (not a top 10 pick, though).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

If I knew the gun charge wasn't going to lead to anything, I'd take a first round pick for Williams (not a top 10 pick, though).

I'm 99% sure it won't.  It sounds like the only thing Quinnen legally did wrong was not having the unloaded gun in the correct type of case.

Jets should just move up, draft Brown, and have a Quinnen-Derrick pairing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

To the guys who want to draft Derrick Brown or Javon Kinlaw in the first round. Would you instead trade that pick for Quinnen Williams?

Nope. I love Kinlaw combination of size length and athleticism. 

30 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I'm 99% sure it won't.  It sounds like the only thing Quinnen legally did wrong was not having the unloaded gun in the correct type of case.

Jets should just move up, draft Brown, and have a Quinnen-Derrick pairing.

But they’d still be stuck with Quinnen

1 hour ago, sherm said:

Nope. I love Kinlaw combination of size length and athleticism. 

Man you think so?

Quinnen is like double the prospect Kinlaw is. 

It’s crazy how someone’s value can drop so far after just a rookie season. 

Quinnen is going to be a stud 

10 hours ago, brownie man said:

Man you think so?

Quinnen is like double the prospect Kinlaw is. 

It’s crazy how someone’s value can drop so far after just a rookie season. 

Quinnen is going to be a stud 

He can be double the prospect...but will he be double player? Of course his value down after having a solid rookie yr...not the Aaron Donald rookie season we were all told he was gonna have. Besides if he's gonna be a stud the Jets won't trade him for our 13th pick a yr later. 

• Like 1