Official 2020 DL/EDGE Thread

CalhounLambeau

Best edge rusher in this draft IMO is Terrell Lewis (Alabama).   I just bumped him ahead of Yetur Gross-Matos.  Hopefully he can stay healthy.  There are reports that half the teans have failed him medically.

1 hour ago, VanS said:

Best edge rusher in this draft IMO is Terrell Lewis (Alabama).   I just bumped him ahead of Yetur Gross-Matos.  Hopefully he can stay healthy.  There are reports that half the teans have failed him medically.

I think Lewis is a better pure pass rusher than YGM (I don't think he's that great of a pass rusher actually) and if Lewis didn't have medical issues, he should be a 1st rounder. But he does...very  bad ones. I can see him dropping pretty far.

On 4/10/2020 at 12:11 AM, VanS said:

Garrett is more explosive, had far greater bend around the edge, and is better at converting speed to power.  Essentially he's better than Young at everything related to physicality when it comes to playing defensive end.  Myles Garrett's first step explosion, bend, and speed to power are as good as anyone I've ever seen.  Chase Young showed me little in the way of explosiveness or bend.  He's got good power but I don't know how well that will translate against NFL tackles who are much stronger than the guys he faced in college. 

All in all, every time I saw Myles Garrett in college take a snap he popped on screen.  On the other hand, Chase Young looked like just another guy for most of the game until he made his one or two splash plays.

Come on dude. You can’t be serious? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Come on dude. You can’t be serious? 

I'm 100% serious.  I could be wrong but I seriously don't see what everyone else sees in Chase Young.  He's not close to the prospect he's being hyped to be IMO. 

I choose to be honest with myself rather than following the herd simply because every analyst on TV is going crazy over Chase Young.  There have been guys who were similarly touted that were gigantic busts in the NFL.  So just because everyone else believes something to be true doesn't necessarily make it so.

Here are my final edge rusher rankings:

1. Terrell Lewis (Alabama) - 1st round grade....NFL comp: Aldon Smith
  2. Yetur Gross-Matos (Penn St.) - 1st round grade.....NFL comp: Greg Hardy
  3. Darrell Taylor (Tennessee) - 2nd round grade.....NFL comp: Brian Orakpo
  4. AJ Epenesa (Iowa) - 2nd round grade
  5. Anfernee Jennings (Alabama) - 2nd round grade

1 hour ago, VanS said:

Why do you see Jennings as a second rounder? I think he's a relatively safe choice, but he has little upside. Best case scenario for him is Courtney Upshaw.

26 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Why do you see Jennings as a second rounder? I think he's a relatively safe choice, but he has little upside. Best case scenario for him is Courtney Upshaw.

He's just flashed to me whenever I've watched Alabama.  I like his size, build, and dip around the edge.  This is not a great draft for edge rushers so I'm ranking guys who have flashed to me a little higher than in a more loaded draft class.

15 minutes ago, VanS said:

He's just flashed to me whenever I've watched Alabama.  I like his size, build, and dip around the edge.  This is not a great draft for edge rushers so I'm ranking guys who have flashed to me a little higher than in a more loaded draft class.

I don't see any pass rush potential. He's a plodding face-up rusher. To the extent he gets sacks in the NFL, it'll be more due to effort than anything. But he sets a hard edge, plays disciplined and smart football, and can drop into coverage. So he can be a useful enough 3-4 OLB. But I can't draft a guy in the second who won't offer me much pass rush, no matter how bad the class is.

I've wondered if Anfernee would actually be better off playing WLB in a 4-3 or MIKE in a 3-4. His play recognition off-ball and success blitzing on the interior A/B gaps is something that really stood out to me watching his tape. He's a nice chess piece that can be moved around (my Seahawks play a 4-3 Under, so I personally have him ranked as a WLB in this scheme). 

With that said, I agree with Jrry. He's a limited pass rusher with a relatively low ceiling to develop into much more than we saw at Alabama. He's a far better fit as a 4th round pick. 

I also don't see the justification for Darrell Taylor as a 2nd rounder. 

I wanted to bring attention to three names that I doubt have been brought up much:

1. Chauncey Rivers // Mississippi State // 6'2" 262
- Huge character concerns have sunk a once highly-touted prospect into potential UDFA status. That said, he supplies NFL-ready density on his frame and arguably plays with the heaviest hands of this entire class. The ceiling is admittedly low due to athletic and size limitations, but I'd really like to see what he can do in a rotational 43DE role. He's a surprisingly high motor player who operates with great leg drive and upper body strength to condense the path to the QB and will have guys limping to the ice bath with the way he hits. 

2. Trevon Hill // Miami // 6'2.75" 248
- Another big character question mark as a guy who was dismissed from VA Tech after a halftime altercation with a staff member, of which coach Fuentes said was not an isolated incident (whatever that means, specific details never seemed to emerge). Similar to Rivers, he comes with a somewhat capped ceiling after disappointing athletic testing at the Combine, but you don't necessarily see that on the tape, as he plays with really quick feet and the hip flexibility to sink around the corner. He's also creative in how he gets to the QB and is a bloodhound when the football is nearby. Problem is that he really lacks functional play strength and often gets pushed wide of the pocket. I'd like to see what he can do in a 34LB role in the NFL. 

3. Azur Kamara // Kansas // 6'3.25" 245
- Bare with me here, as this kid has a LONG way to go to ever realizing his sky high potential. With that said, he measured in with the longest arms (35.25") and fastest 40 time (4.59) of the entire Edge class and he's still flying completely under the radar. He looks like a missile pursuing the ball in a straight line and has the reach to clog pass lanes and disrupt running lanes. The Jayhawks utilized him both as an on-ball rush LB, off-ball LB, and even had him lined up in man coverage in the slot (you'll see him jamming Devin Duvernay in the Texas game from about the 5-yard line). It's clear that from a processing standpoint, Kamara is drinking from a fire hydrant out there, but if I'm an NFL team I would love to get my hands on him, tell him to focus on one thing his rookie season, and see if the game slows down for him from there. 

Edited by SaveOurSonics

9 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I don't see any pass rush potential. He's a plodding face-up rusher. To the extent he gets sacks in the NFL, it'll be more due to effort than anything. But he sets a hard edge, plays disciplined and smart football, and can drop into coverage. So he can be a useful enough 3-4 OLB. But I can't draft a guy in the second who won't offer me much pass rush, no matter how bad the class is.

I do not think he has much use as a 3-4 OLB.  He lacks explosiveness.  He is technically sound.  One of the better ones but I worry about his ability to cover the flats.  I think he is a low ceiling high floor EDGe player.  Not one I would spend more than a 3rd on for depth ( as a 3-4 OLB).

From a 3-4 OLB perspective, K'Lavon Chaisson is the best I have seen in this draft.  I think Young could do it but Chaisson has shown it.  He will be less good in a 4-3 than as a standup 3-4 OLB

Edited by jebrick
  • Like 2

Maybe I'm alone here, but I just don't see a top 10 prospect in Javon Kinlaw. The guy is more bark than bite. Elite size profile obviously but his overall athletic makeup is questionable and he gets erased by anything resembling a double team. Sky high potential, but I'm taking a guy like that around the 15-20 mark, not the 5-10 mark. 

10 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Maybe I'm alone here, but I just don't see a top 10 prospect in Javon Kinlaw. The guy is more bark than bite. Elite size profile obviously but his overall athletic makeup is questionable and he gets erased by anything resembling a double team. Sky high potential, but I'm taking a guy like that around the 15-20 mark, not the 5-10 mark. 

Fine with me, drop him to 17 and let us take a future pro bowler.

On 4/22/2020 at 11:54 PM, VanS said:

Definitely should have included K'Lavon Chaisson in my top 5 edge rushers.  AJ Epenesa is more of a strong side defensive end.  Watched some tape on Chaisson lately and I got some Joey Porter vibes from him.

Revised Edge Rusher Rankings:

2. K'Lavon Chaisson (LSU) - 1st round grade.....NFL comp: Joey Porter
  3. Yetur Gross-Matos (Penn St.) - 1st round grade.....NFL comp: Michael Bennett/Greg Hardy
  4. Darrell Taylor (Tennessee) - 2nd round grade.....NFL comp: Brian Orakpo
Edited by VanS