Official 2020 QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

22 hours ago, Classic said:

He was on alot of people's watch list. Thought he'd play lot better.

He was on mine. Definitely not a 1st or 2nd rounder, but I thought he'd play his way into 3rd-5th conversation with a backup trajectory who could be a starter for the right team. 

He's played his way out of the draft imo. 

2 hours ago, SBLIII said:

Burrow is better than haskins was

Can we take a moment and reflect on the irony that people are debating between an Ohio St and LSU QB as to who will ultimately be better in the pros? 

Add an Alabama QB and a guy who transferred from Bama to the mix.

Now go back about 8-10 years and tell your former self these things and see their reaction. 

• Like 2

On 10/12/2019 at 11:18 PM, Xenos said:

Elite arm strength is probably the most overrated thing for a QB. Guys like Rivers and Brees do not have the cannons but thrive in the NFL because they have touch and accuracy.

Drew Brees had the benefit of playing under Sean Payton.  A guy who has the Saints undefeated right now without Brees.  Also Brees has a very well home/road split.  His game falters outside of a dome.  That's where arm strength comes in.   Would Brees be the same player if he played in Pittsburgh without Sean Payton his entire career?  I think not.

With regard to Phillip Rivers, what has he ever won?   He might be the most overrated QB of my lifetime.   People talk about him as a Hall of Fame QB and yet I don't have a single memorable moment from his career.   He's been the beneficiary of the rules changing allowing all these passing records to be set.  

• Like 1

On 10/13/2019 at 2:05 AM, thrILL! said:

How is he injury prone?  He got hurt in the SECCG last year with a high ankle sprain (honestly I was worried he broke it the way it was bent) and kept playing.  That one injury clearly affected him during that game (and somehow lost him the Heisman) and somewhat in the playoff stretch but he soldiered on.   I don't remember him missing any games bcuz of injury.  

He worse a huge brace on his knee for most of the second half of the season last year.  He hasn't had the major injury yet but he's always getting banged up and limping when I see him play.   Some guys can take hits and keep chugging along.  Others look like they might be hurt after every hit.  Tua is the latter.

I fear for his durability in the NFL.

57 minutes ago, VanS said:

Drew Brees had the benefit of playing under Sean Payton.  A guy who has the Saints undefeated right now without Brees.  Also Brees has a very well home/road split.  His game falters outside of a dome.  That's where arm strength comes in.   Would Brees be the same player if he played in Pittsburgh without Sean Payton his entire career?  I think not.

With regard to Phillip Rivers, what has he ever won?   He might be the most overrated QB of my lifetime.   People talk about him as a Hall of Fame QB and yet I don't have a single memorable moment from his career.   He's been the beneficiary of the rules changing allowing all these passing records to be set.  

Tom Brady then since you keep moving the goal post. The point is as long as you can make all the necessary throws, you don't need elite arm strength. Most overrated aspect of a QB and is the reason guys like Jamarcus Russell get drafted.

18 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Tom Brady then since you keep moving the goal post. The point is as long as you can make all the necessary throws, you don't need elite arm strength. Most overrated aspect of a QB and is the reason guys like Jamarcus Russell get drafted.

Tom Brady has an elite arm.   Try again.

Changing the focus of the topic a bit here.  With all the junior qb's that have a high draft grade this year and all the senior qbs that have no choice but to be in the draft,  which juniors will go back to school and say i am fine with being maybe 2nd Qb behind Lawrence.  It looks like Tua has to come out and right now i would put herbert as the 2nd qb (senior) and Burrow now with his meteoric rise as the 3rd qb(senior), why would Love, Fromm and Eason want to come out to be the fourth qb in this class at best.  How much money are we looking at being top 10 next year and bottom 20 this year?  I am seeing conflicting reports on this is kj costello a junior or senior?  I dont want to forget hurts as a senior as well.

2 hours ago, VanS said:

The Saints team of current is NOT the Saints team of old. Brees has had to carry the team more often than not throughout his career, often plagued by AWFUL and even HISTORICALLY AWFUL defense. He does not need to do that anymore. I'm pretty confident that Brady isn't as important as he once was to the Patriots, just like Brees.

Last night I heard an announcer call Phillip Rivers a "first-ballot Hall-of-Famer". And he said it with such confidence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C-hokie-ole said:

Changing the focus of the topic a bit here.  With all the junior qb's that have a high draft grade this year and all the senior qbs that have no choice but to be in the draft,  which juniors will go back to school and say i am fine with being maybe 2nd Qb behind Lawrence.  It looks like Tua has to come out and right now i would put herbert as the 2nd qb (senior) and Burrow now with his meteoric rise as the 3rd qb(senior), why would Love, Fromm and Eason want to come out to be the fourth qb in this class at best.  How much money are we looking at being top 10 next year and bottom 20 this year?  I am seeing conflicting reports on this is kj costello a junior or senior?  I dont want to forget hurts as a senior as well.

I would argue next year's QB class is a lot more impressive than this year's class.  After Trevor Lawrence there's Justin Fields who I would take over any QB in the 2020 class.  And then there's Kellen Mond who reminds me of a 6'2" version of Colin Kaepernick.  He's the college QB nobody talks about that I believe has the ability to be a quality starter.

Lawrence, Fields, and Mond are better than all the QBs in the 2020 class. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Last night I heard an announcer call Phillip Rivers a "first-ballot Hall-of-Famer". And he said it with such confidence.

Absolutely insane.  Cam Newton (who people want to run out of Carolina) has accomplished more than him in half the time.  I wonder how many people would say Cam Newton is a first ballot Hall of Famer if he retired today?

5 hours ago, VanS said:

He worse a huge brace on his knee for most of the second half of the season last year.  He hasn't had the major injury yet but he's always getting banged up and limping when I see him play.   Some guys can take hits and keep chugging along.  Others look like they might be hurt after every hit.  Tua is the latter.

LoL rubbish. 

4 hours ago, VanS said:

Except Brady does not have nor has he ever had elite arm strength. What he has is elite mechanics as well as an elite work ethic that has allowed him to increase his arm strength from his college days. But it's still not the level of a Mahomes, Stafford, or even Wentz.

20 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Except Brady does not have nor has he ever had elite arm strength. What he has is elite mechanics as well as an elite work ethic that has allowed him to increase his arm strength from his college days. But it's still not the level of a Mahomes, Stafford, or even Wentz.

Its true his arm is not on the Mahomes/Stafford level.  But his arm strength is still excellent and within the top 10 arms in the league.  When he needs to rifle in a throw he does it with the best of them.  Other than mobility, there really aren't many flaws to Brady's skillset.  He's not the GOAT in my eyes because there are several QBs with more talent.  However, that doesn't mean Brady isn't an elite talent himself.  He's got ideal size, arm strength, and intangibles.  All he lacks is mobility.

10 hours ago, VanS said:

No he doesn't. He never did. He's always had a good, not great arm and makes up for it with accuracy and the best intangibles ever seen. This is literally the worst kept secret in the NFL. 

The only way he has an "elite" arm is by saying "for a QB his age", which is still questionable as Favre and Brees both of whom have better arms, or by comparison to Danny Etling who could get out-thrown by a junior high school long snapper. 

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 1