Official 2020 QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

21 hours ago, Danger said:

At his point in time. I'm taking Hurts over Fromm. Fromm just screams low ceiling to me.

I don't see why everyone is so down on Fromm. He might not have that WOW factor, but he's really smart with the ball and has faced great defenses with control and poise. I think he's going to be an instant contributor to whichever team lands him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

What is the downside of Hurts? Not the athlete of Lamar but somewhere between Jackson and Dak. Accurate, good frame, winning pedigree. Call me a copycat but with the NFL trending towards being friendlier to mobile QB's w/ questionable college system experience, I don't see a reason to not bet on Hurts.

top 3 pick.

Joe Burrow is averaging 12.3 YPA. If he maintains anything close to that pace he is going to be a high first round pick. I've applied that simple formula for years and it has never let me down. 

It is unbelievable that Urban Meyer stuck with JT "Little Game" Barrett for so long, including when he had Burrow on the roster. That single decision may have changed the course of Meyer's final years at Ohio State, and the college football landscape in general. Barrett would put up sub-5 YPA in major games and I remember one or two sub-4 YPA. He did improve somewhat as a senior. 

Jalen Hurts holds the YPA asterisk. He is averaging a surreal 14.4 YPA. I believe that is the highest I have ever seen at this point in the season, for a non-option quarterback. No question Hurts looks more relaxed than at Alabama, and with superior touch. But he has to be downgraded, given where he was rated at the end of 2018. Tough evaluation. I wouldn't trust him.

Reality is finally catching up with Jake Fromm and his 8.75 hands. I have no idea why it took so long, or how he was up there in the first place. That entire Georgia team suffers from what I would call Razor Ruddock Syndrome...reputation based on two close losses in contests that should have been won.

Lotsa luck when that is your calling card.

Tua is still averaging 3 YPA above Lawrence, identical to 2018. Lawrence still doesn't have one game on his collegiate ledger that matches Tua's YPA average from 2018 or 2019. 

The comparisons of Tua to Steve Young are very good. However, I think Young was more wiry and streetwise. He willed himself to bounce off all those Vikings in the late '80s playoff loss to Minnesota, after relieving Montana. You could see the absolute determination in Young's eyes and body language. I don't see Tua ever replicating that. Very smooth player who is rightfully the first pick but I won't be surprised if it takes him some time to adjust to NFL pressure and poundings. 

Jordan Love without his 2018 running backs is now forced to throw 45+ times per game. That team is still capable within its own league but faces a daunting task a week from Saturday at LSU. It would be interesting in that game if each quarterback switched sides for a half. 

20 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Repeating yourself doesn't make it true. He doesn't have the size, athleticism or arm to go top 5.

Repeating the truth doesn't make it any less true either. And you are so wrong about Jalen Hurts because some of his best attributes are his size, athleticism and arm.

46 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Repeating the truth doesn't make it any less true either. And you are so wrong about Jalen Hurts because some of his best attributes are his size, athleticism and arm.

Okay, which of those skills is he elite at? I'll wait.

Its pretty wild to say Jalen Hurts doesn't have enough size when the last two QB's to go #1 overall were smaller. He is 6'02 and 220lbs, that is fine. He likely can add some muscle once in the league as well. Dak was listed at 225lbs at Miss St. No reason Hurts cant get up to the 230-235 that Prescott is now at. 

As for athleticism, he is rumored to have run a 4.50 at Bama. Even assuming that's off, he is at least a 4.60 type player with a strong frame to boot.

I have not seen any throws that he couldn't make. He doesn't have a cannon, but its enough. I think he clearly compares to a more athletic Dak Prescott.

8 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Its pretty wild to say Jalen Hurts doesn't have enough size when the last two QB's to go #1 overall were smaller. He is 6'02 and 220lbs, that is fine. He likely can add some muscle once in the league as well. Dak was listed at 225lbs at Miss St. No reason Hurts cant get up to the 230-235 that Prescott is now at. 

As for athleticism, he is rumored to have run a 4.50 at Bama. Even assuming that's off, he is at least a 4.60 type player with a strong frame to boot.

I have not seen any throws that he couldn't make. He doesn't have a cannon, but its enough. I think he clearly compares to a more athletic Dak Prescott.

You have to be elite at something to go top 5. It doesn't have to be size. Baker had elite accuracy. Kyler had elite athleticism. You need to be elite at something though. Jalen Hurts is obviously not a 4.50 guy. He's not a burner by any stretch of the imagination and the difference between a 4.50 and mid 4.6 (where he should run) isn't small. He doesn't have a cannon. He doesn't have elite size. He doesn't have elite anticipation. He doesn't have elite accuracy. How is he going to go top 5?

Edited by Bullet Club
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Okay, which of those skills is he elite at? I'll wait.

Size is great, pretty much ideal; not sure what elite body type would be given you have sub-5’11 Kyler Murray going first overall and countless other shorties like Baker Mayfield, Drew Brees, Russell Wilson and now Gardner Minshew stepping up. Hurts has the prototypical frame and body to handle his style of play which incorporates a lot of running.

As for athleticism, I’m pretty sure that is as elite as it gets. Not quite Mike Vick, Randall Cunningham, or Lamar Jackson, but like a hybrid of Cam Newton and Russell Wilson. Hurts is a step above Josh Allen and Daniel Jones I’d say, who are two of the most athletic NFL QB’s right now.

Arm talent is borderline elite but again not in the same class as Josh Allen or Patrick Mahomes. Hurts shows touch, accuracy, and good decision making with his throws now. Two years ago, Hurts was so raw in these aspects that I thought even Tim Tebow at the time was a better passer.

What truly is elite about Jalen Hurts is his maturity, leadership, poise, and experience. Combine elite intangibles with top tier athleticism, ideal size, and great arm talent and you have the first pick potential in the 2020 NFL Draft. Chase Young is the only other prospect I’d compare to Hurts.

Edited by DoleINGout

15 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Size is great, pretty much ideal; not sure what elite body type would be given you have sub-5’11 Kyler Murray going first overall and countless other shorties like Baker Mayfield, Drew Brees, Russell Wilson and now Gardner Minshew stepping up. Hurts has the prototypical frame and body to handle his style of play which incorporates a lot of running.

As for athleticism, I’m pretty sure that is as elite as it gets. Not quite Mike Vick, Randall Cunningham, or Lamar Jackson, but like a hybrid of Cam Newton and Russell Wilson. Hurts is a step above Josh Allen and Daniel Jones I’d say, who are two of the most athletic NFL QB’s right now.

Arm talent is borderline elite but again not in the same class as Josh Allen or Patrick Mahomes. Hurts shows touch, accuracy, and good decision making with his throws now. Two years ago, Hurts was so raw in these aspects that I thought even Tim Tebow at the time was a better passer.

What truly is elite about Jalen Hurts is his maturity, leadership, poise, and experience. Combine elite intangibles with top tier athleticism, ideal size, and great arm talent and you have the first pick potential in the 2020 NFL Draft. Chase Young is the only other prospect I’d compare to Hurts.

To put it simply, I disagree with virtually everything you said in the first three paragraphs. I'll give you he has a great build for his play style. In my opinion, he's not an elite athlete, he's not Newton/Wilson or Allen, and nowhere near an elite arm talent.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

You’re smoking crack if you think Hurts goes top 3 without some absolutely insane intervening events.

The funny thing you could swap out Hurts with Murray, and we would have been saying the same thing about Kyler Murray at this point last year.  Just saying.