How long is your commute?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. How long is your commute?

• Less than 10 minutes
    • 10-20 minutes
    • 21-30 minutes
    • 30- one hour
    • Longer than an hour

Yesterday, I moved into a new apartment. My morning commute is now a 4 minute walk straight from home to work. This cuts me back from about a 30 minute commute.

And follow up questions:

Do you actually like your commute? Do you wish it were longer/shorter? Do you wish you had a different means of travel (e.g. taking public transit or a bike instead of driving)?

40 minutes, door to door with walking and tube. 

I wouldn't mind a longer commute if it meant living in a nice area in a house. I would rather live near a train station and have a long train, than a long walk to the station and a shorter train ride. 

Currently: 25 minutes. Three stoplights (I might hit 2). Relatively light traffic. It's a really easy commute. I enjoy it. It gives me the time I need to wind up before work or wind down after. I dont fight traffic. Very few stops along the way. I can just listen to music and chill. 

Shortest commute was when I was stationed at Ft Lewis. I was 5 minutes from by unit. It was too easy. Except for the fact that I still had to get up at the buttcrack of well-before-dawn. Otherwise, way too easy. It also meant if I was up in the barracks and had a few beers I could zip home relatively safely. Not promoting DWI, just saying if you HAVE to do it, making a right and going a quarter mile, making a left and going an 8th of a mile, and making a right and going a block, with you generally being one of 3 people on the road, removes a lot of the risk of hurting anyone. 

Trying to think of my worst commute. Outside of taking the bus to work in Los Angeles (which is flat out the worst commute) I would say it was when I lived in Portland and had to drive from outer Gresham/Troutdale all the way to NE Portland. Fighting rush our traffic both ways. Was about an hour in the morning and an hour and a half in the afternoon. Rush hour getting home was brutal. Total "no quarter asked/none given" bumper-to-bumper road combat. It sucked ***. 

My wife had a 2 hour commute to and from work for 2 and a half years. She worked "3 on/2 off" which helped. And she worked 7pm to 7am, so she wasnt fighting traffic too much. But man, that drive. I had to make the same drive 5 days a week for about 2 months and it about killed me. And she did it for like 30 months. 

As far as what I would prefer, I dont think I would want to work at home. It sounds cool, but I dont get out enough as it is. I dont want to walk or ride a bike because of the weather. I certainly wouldnt want it to be longer than it is if I could help it. I kinda like my commute. It might be perfect for me. 

But I guess if I could walk or bike a short distance to work I would. I wouldnt want to. But I feel like saving the money and leaving less of a footprint would be more important to me that sweating my *** off for 5 or 10 minutes.

I have an hour commute. 56 miles. Rarely any traffic as it's a scenic road running parallel to a major interstate (about 10-15 minutes to get over to the freeway) so it's pretty much stress free driving.

If it wasn't such a beautiful drive or there was traffic I wouldn't like it. Right now I love it. My drive is my wind down time in the evenings and my zone out time in the morning.

8 hours ago, iPwn said:

Do you actually like your commute? Do you wish it were longer/shorter? Do you wish you had a different means of travel (e.g. taking public transit or a bike instead of driving)?

I actually don't mind it that much - I wish there was a quicker way to get there without toll roads (non toll routes would put me out over an hour with traffic). I listen to Sport Talk radio on the way in, get my mental "to do" list done in my head, etc. 

I'd like to be working close enough to ride a bike in to work, but not complaining with a job where I work from home 3x a week.

Dude, commutes out here are unreal.  I used to commute from around the middle of LA to Santa Monica, which took about 45 min for about 10 miles.  But sometimes I had to go to West LA., which also took  ~45 min.....but was only 7 miles.  Then I moved to Santa Monica, and ever since, my commute has been 15-30 min for a while (5-8 miles).  I'll be moving to Hollywood this fall and I expect that number to go way higher though unfortunately

As for liking it: HELL no.  Long, peaceful commutes like I had in WNY were A-okay by me.  Blast some tunes, watch out for ice/snow and enjoy.  Boston was alright for the most part, as long as it wasn't rush hour and the Sox weren't playing.  But LA?  Brutal if you're on a main street or a freeway.  And they're usually the only options.  Stop/go.  Deal with people trying to cut you off.  Almost get into accidents.  Have BMWs/Prius'/Maseratis drive like they own the road because they'll sue the hell out of you even if an accident is their fault.  Long as hell stand still traffic if you take the 10 or 405.  I've heard some people like to meditate on the 405 in their cars during rush hour traffic

School pays for my townhouse across the street from the school. 5 minute walk from my front door to my classroom.

I'd prefer having a longer commute. I used to drive 45 minutes to work and back when I was teaching in NC. While there were times when all I wanted to do was not make that drive, more often than not, it was a good way to unwind and relax in the car by myself. 

Archived