Alex Smith still thinks that returning to football is an option

Woz

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27023403/qb-smith-big-step-learning-run-again

Washington Redskins quarterback Alex Smith hasn't abandoned hope of playing football again after suffering a devastating leg injury in November -- even though he will have an external fixator on his right leg for at least another month.

In his first public comments since the injury, Smith told Fox 5 DC's Angie Goff that he still wants to play. Smith suffered a compound fracture in his right leg during a Nov. 18 loss to the Houston Texans. He endured multiple surgeries because of an infection, and amputation became an option at one point, sources have said.

But now Smith feels good enough to at least consider returning, even if multiple hurdles remain and the team views the possibility as a long shot.

There comes a point where you need to be realistic and just accept that it's over. When amputation was on the table, that's a good sign that you should just head into retirement.

25 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

No he doesn’t. He can’t go and say “well I have to retire” because he’s be forfeiting a lot of money. Or I could be wrong and he’s actually insane. 

The money should still be guaranteed. (at least the 2020 salary)

However, I get what you're saying.

Didn’t get where he is in life by giving up and packing it in when people told him his goals are unrealistic. 

I also think it’s unlikely that he ever takes a meaningful snap again — but I don’t doubt for a second that he truly believes it’s still a possibility. Would love to see him do something like return to the Chiefs at some point and back up Mahomes in a sort of player/coach hybrid role. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, e16bball said:

Didn’t get where he is in life by giving up and packing it in when people told him his goals are unrealistic.

No, but when you talk about having to amputate your leg due to the sport that you loved, you would hope it would shift your priorities a bit.

I harbor him no ill will. If he were to take to the field and play again (yes, even for Washington), I would be supremely happy for him.(*) At the same time, I have put him in the same place I put Tony Romo when he hurt his back the second time around: if the Cowboys had any love or affection for the man, they would have told him that he would never take another snap for them because they were worried about his post-football life.(**)

Maybe I'm overreacting here (a leg is bit different than your spine in terms of injury), but at this point, beyond just saying "they said I couldn't do it, but I did it anyway!", is there a point to coming back? There's going to be no glory (well, a standing ovation when he comes onto the field, which is fleeting but I suppose it's something), and the money is already banked. Is it worth taking a chance of not playing with your kids, or standing up to applaud at their graduations? Just for a "I told you so!" kind of moment? Even if Haskins doesn't play this year, he will be playing next year when Smith is nominally ready to go. Washington needs the cap space, so you have to think they'll mark him as a June cut and take their lumps financially speaking. So, is he going to get any calls even if he puts in the supreme effort of getting back to football shape?

Yes, he may be saying this because he truly believes he can make it back and/or isn't going to back down like you said. He may be saying it because he worries about his contract/the PR perspective, though I doubt it because that's what an agent is for.

That all said, is it worth the risk?

(*) Unless it was for Washington and he returned to his dink 'n' dunk style of play (which is almost a sure bet). In this case, I'll be happy for him to beating the odds and making it back to the NFL ... then immediately switch to my normal grumpiness due to his actual play.
(**) I do not know that they didn't do this; I'm just saying how I felt when Romo went down the second time with the neck/back injury. No, the fact that he was the Cowboys QB had nothing to do with it. That is me honestly speaking.

• Like 2

Redskins 2018 season in a nutshell:

6-3 in games Alex finished

1-6 in games w/o Alex

Maybe he wasn't the answer, but he certainly wasn't the problem. Without him in November and December the team had no leadership, stability and the ship was rudderless.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Redskins 2018 season in a nutshell:

6-3 in games Alex finished

1-6 in games w/o Alex

Maybe he wasn't the answer, but he certainly wasn't the problem. Without him in November and December the team had no leadership, stability and the ship was rudderless.

Let. It. Go

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Let. It. Go

I don’t think I should. This narrative that exists that just bc Alex didn’t throw for 300 yards & 2 TDs that he didn’t help the team win isn’t true and the facts from last season which I posted above show that.

I most certainly believe if our 2 best play making WRs (Crowder & PRich) & RB in the passing game (Thompson) would have stayed healthy that Smith’s personal stats - since that’s what everyone cares about him - would have been much better.

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Let. It. Go

I don’t think I should. This narrative that exists that just bc Alex didn’t throw for 300 yards & 2 TDs every game that he didn’t help the team win isn’t true and the facts from last season which I posted above show that.

I most certainly believe if our 2 best play making WRs (Crowder & PRich) & RB in the passing game (Thompson) would have stayed healthy that Smith’s personal stats - since that’s what everyone cares about him - would have been much better.

You can’t take 12 recs & 130 yards out of the passing attack a game in weapons and expect the same results from last years QB as we had from the QB we had from 2015-17.

Kirk Cousins wasn’t as good when CT, Crowder, Reed & either DJax or Garçon weren’t available to him either, of course we threw it almost every down in those Cousins years but last year we had Peterson to hand the ball off too which was also a major difference in our offense from 2018 vs how it was from 2015-2017.

Edited by turtle28