Goldfish's Slightly Too Early 2019 Season Predictions - All 32 up

goldfishwars

14 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Isn't that the equivalent then of those of you suggesting the Chargers will be just fine without Gordon,  because they were 4-0 without him? Just because it occured,  doesn't mean true!

Jim Schwartz's complete and utter ineptitude as a DC losing 3 of the first 7 gms with dbl digit leads in the 4th qt absolutely should count towards/against Wentz's W/L record and Foles's since it never occurred Once during Nicks starts. 

I'd also love to know what the you think the chargers record even with Rivers for a full 16 gms would be without his Top 3RB, 2WR, TE, 3CB, 2DE, LB, and Safety on IR? That list Doesn't even account for the 1/2 Dozen more who missed several games as well.

Eagles Mobile: A List Of Injuries, And The Impact On 2018 Season https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/a-list-of-injuries-and-the-impact-on-2018-season

I like the Chargers chances better with Gordon who is establishing himself as a borderline top 5 RB. But the data shows this squad can win without him. Because Terrific Tom has done a great job drafting. 

You would also have a point about the injuries if they affected Foles. Unless those players made it back towards the end of the season when Foles was starting. I just dont see an argument for Eagles in the top 5, let alone 1. If it was coming off the 2017 season, i can see #1.

10 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

You would also have a point about the injuries if they affected Foles. Unless those players made it back towards the end of the season when Foles was starting. I just dont see an argument for Eagles in the top 5, let alone 1. If it was coming off the 2017 season, i can see #1.

By the time Foles was starting, our replacement players had enough time to mesh, and coaches had enough tape on their in-game strengths/weaknesses.

Aside from injuries, I think an underrated aspect of our slow start last year was a Super Bowl hangover.  We played with no urgency at the end of many games because we were still in the thick of a divisional race despite our poor record.

I understand you thinking they don’t deserve top five, but to say you can’t see an argument for that is pretty ridiculous.  They were very close to reaching the NFCCG coming off a season where they won the SB, and you can’t see an argument for top five?  

Guys, if you are a betting man (or woman) – make sure you use all of the predictions in my thread to lay down some hefty bets. It would be great if you could let me know how you get on. Not saying these predictions will all come true, but I think we can all agree that it’s more or less a certainty this is how the season will play out from here on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Guys, if you are a betting man (or woman) – make sure you use all of the predictions in my thread to lay down some hefty bets. It would be great if you could let me know how you get on. Not saying these predictions will all come true, but I think we can all agree that it’s more or less a certainty this is how the season will play out from here on.

I will blame and sue you if it goes wrong.

On 7/14/2019 at 5:33 PM, Bearerofnews said:

You really think Eagles roster > Chargers roster or Rams Roster. ? I think Saints and Cowboys are better rosters to. Maybe Chicago to.

I loved the write up. People have a terrible habit of just going off of the previous season.

Two years ago the Eagles/Vikings/Rams/Saints all went from 3rd or 4th place to 1st.

Last year the Bears and Chiefs came out of nowhere (Chiefs not nowhere, but still exceeded expectations).

I'm sure quite a few people were lower on the Chargers last year before it played out.

In the NFL, last year has VERY little to do with this year.

As an example, prior to last year, the Rams, Vikings and Eagles were viewed as STACKED. Only the Rams held up to that moniker. When 365 days ago it seemed like a near certainty that either the Vikings or Eagles would be in the NFCCG, now everyone is writing them off because they didn't meet that expectation? The reality is those teams are still loaded top to bottom. Me being a Rams fan, I'm going to predict them to win the NFC. But if I had to bet money on other teams, it would be either the Eagles or Vikings. I don't see the Saints, Cowboys or Bears having rosters on the Eagles or Vikings level. Saints are closer, but I think Brees and the offense falling off a cliff last year was real.

Chargers are right there too, but I wouldn't say they are better (wouldn't say they were worse either) than the Eagles or Vikings.

19 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

I dont know what record would be.  I suspect if we dont have good backup qb play, not very good.

Again, youd have an argument if they were 8-3 with Wentz and 1-4 with Foles.

Again, just use your eyes and you can see that Carson is a far superior QB than Nick Foles. God I can't wait for this season to start so people can stop talking nonsense.

Also what's funny is even with all the injuries that players were suffering even when Carson was in. If Jim Schwartz doesn't have his defense absolutely throw the game 3 times last year, then the Eagles would have been 8-3 under Carson. But I digress.

53 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

I loved the write up. People have a terrible habit of just going off of the previous season.

Two years ago the Eagles/Vikings/Rams/Saints all went from 3rd or 4th place to 1st.

Last year the Bears and Chiefs came out of nowhere (Chiefs not nowhere, but still exceeded expectations).

I'm sure quite a few people were lower on the Chargers last year before it played out.

As an example, prior to last year, the Rams, Vikings and Eagles were viewed as STACKED. Only the Rams held up to that moniker. When 365 days ago it seemed like a near certainty that either the Vikings or Eagles would be in the NFCCG, now everyone is writing them off because they didn't meet that expectation? The reality is those teams are still loaded top to bottom. Me being a Rams fan, I'm going to predict them to win the NFC. But if I had to bet money on other teams, it would be either the Eagles or Vikings. I don't see the Saints, Cowboys or Bears having rosters on the Eagles or Vikings level. Saints are closer, but I think Brees and the offense falling off a cliff last year was real.

Chargers are right there too, but I wouldn't say they are better (wouldn't say they were worse either) than the Eagles or Vikings.

The biggest things that tend to lead to these swings (they're actually a bit predictable, it's just not all of the teams that check the boxes necessarily pull off the swing) are solid-to-above-average OL (or an OL that overachieves relative to it's projected quality), efficient QB play (i.e. ability to limit turnovers and - the less predictable aspect - to end up with turnovers in situations where they're consequences are less impactful), and the ability to flip the opposition's game script back on top of them (this can occur on either side of the ball, but Chicago's defenses ability to absolutely smother opposition last year is one such example of this, the Chiefs offense's ability to force teams into shootouts regardless of the quality of said team's defense is another on the opposite side of the ball).

5 minutes ago, Danger said:

Again, just use your eyes and you can see that Carson is a far superior QB than Nick Foles. God I can't wait for this season to start so people can stop talking nonsense.

Granted, it's also because he fits my "rule of thumb for me" (basically, whatever QB I draft in one particular fantasy league the last 4 years has ended up missing significant time for injury, but then the following year ends up blowing up and finishing as a Top 3 fantasy QB, so I'm not leaning in), but I'm openly targeting Wentz as my fantasy QB this season because I'm expecting him to have a season that makes a legit case for MVP this year.  At this point his question mark is not his talent or ability to produce when healthy, it's the ability to stay healthy and play a full season.  But from a fantasy perspective (especially where I'm able to get him - as like the 8th-10th QB off the board in re-draft formats), even if he only gives me 8-10 games of Top 5 positional production before ending up injured, that's still likely to put me in a stronger position to be sitting pretty for a locked-up playoff spot and I've always been comfortable streaming QB's, but if I've got an inside road to a playoff berth, I'll have plenty of time to mine (or trade) for a rest-of-season QB.

1 hour ago, FrantikRam said:

You keep saying this and I have yet to see any argument as to how the Vikings roster is better than the Bears.