Green Bay Packers 2019 Offensive Line

Shanedorf

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

If I'm Gute I'd be shopping one of McCray/Patrick for an ILB. 

Yup. TBF we still have 5 ILB (Martinez, Summers, Crawford, Bolton, Sheldon) on the roster right now so its not the end of the world if we don't pick someone up. We're probably not going to keep more than 4 anyway.

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I think you're most likely going to carry 8 OL, unless you have a developmental type you really want to protect.  On Game Day, you've got your 5 starters active and you're likely got two backups active.  One being your swing tackle (Alex Light) and one being a swing IOL (Jenkins).  So anyone who isn't a top 7 OL is going to be a healthy scratch on Game Day.  So if you're going to keep more than 8 OL, you're going to have to make a strong argument that their long term potential outweighs someone who might make a bigger impact on the roster for the 2019 season.  If you're looking at your 8th OL, I think you're looking at whoever has the most positional versatility.  And I think you're also talking about the guy who is least likely to be claimed.  Who would that be?

EDIT: I think I'm not being clear enough.  You normally carry 8 OL, but you'll carry a 9th if there is a developmental type you like.  And given how much the Packers have talked about their OL, I think 9 OL is the way they're going to go.

Excellent discussion. 

It occurs to me while reading your post how dreadfully thin we are on game day at some positions. I mean every game we are three injuries away from a TE playing tackle. Two injuries away from Ty Summers playing QB again. Yeesh. I never liked the limited roster for game days, but it has been explained to me that it helps protect teams with many injuries as they play games against teams with few or none. 

9 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

Excellent discussion. 

It occurs to me while reading your post how dreadfully thin we are on game day at some positions. I mean every game we are three injuries away from a TE playing tackle. Two injuries away from Ty Summers playing QB again. Yeesh. I never liked the limited roster for game days, but it has been explained to me that it helps protect teams with many injuries as they play games against teams with few or none. 

I was going to ask if Summers was our emergency QB the other day. Wanna see a 44 play QB.

But yeah, without extending the roster, you can't much extend game day actives.

Edited by Norm

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Does that actually get anything better than what we currently have on our roster?

If a fringe roster player in Pipkins netted Morrison, I'd say pretty easily yes. Have you seen the state of NFL OL? Those two could pretty easily start for more than a handful of NFL teams, let alone be the top interior bench option. Having Jenkins puts us in a position of strength there. I'd rather Madison get #8 and one of those two are cashed in on their ability to get your out of the game at the interior positions.

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

If a fringe roster player in Pipkins netted Morrison, I'd say pretty easily yes. Have you seen the state of NFL OL? Those two could pretty easily start for more than a handful of NFL teams, let alone be the top interior bench option. Having Jenkins puts us in a position of strength there. I'd rather Madison get #8 and one of those two are cashed in on their ability to get your out of the game at the interior positions.

I'd have been with you most of the last 8 years (or whenever we lost Des Bishop) on this one.  But this year I think Gute should take the wait and see approach.  

To me the thing that separates Summers and Bolton from the very long list of other inside backer fails is instincts.  Both of these guys have played the position and haven't been moved inside from OLB (Brad Jones, Jamari Lattimore, Carl Bradford, Nate Palmer, and even Jake Ryan to an extent)...

They aren't trying to learn a new D and a new position at the same time.  Morrison was serviceable last year but really lacked the ability to get from sideline to sideline.  I think anyone we would get in return would have the "yeah, but he can't do this..."

If the right fit is there, I do agree that other teams would likely trade for a guy like Patrick or McCray - but I just dont think most teams have 5 or 6 inside backers without a major flaw.

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

That was Robert Gallery poisoning people's perception of Iowa players.

Bulaga is a ridiculous natural athlete. He is the best golfer on the team. For a while he was also the best basketball player (I think Davante, Graham and Rollins surpassed him there). 

didn't we have another PG at CB like goodson was a guard in college or something?  It was like they tried the bball player experiment at the 6th round pick level then were like naaaaah, we screwed up by not picking the basketball guy high enough, that's where we went wrong!

3 minutes ago, Cheech said:

To me the thing that separates Summers and Bolton from the very long list of other inside backer fails is instincts

Kinda feel like Summers has decent instincts and Bolton does not. I had no idea Summers tested so well, so this is stupid but my Bolton feel was good athlete, but size was the deal, I guess maybe it's similar and the last game has me tainted.

3 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

didn't we have another PG at CB like goodson was a guard in college or something?  It was like they tried the bball player experiment at the 6th round pick level then were like naaaaah, we screwed up by not picking the basketball guy high enough, that's where we went wrong!

I read this 5x and I still don't get it lol

Oh, Rollins. The **** you replied to confused me. Rollins played one year I think of football.

Edited by Norm

2 minutes ago, Norm said:

I read this 5x and I still don't get it lol

Oh, Rollins.

yeah rollins was a bball guy right?  I thought maybe underwood or goodson was a PG also.

Yeah looks like goodson played guard at Gonzaga.

Edited by skibrett15

4 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

yeah rollins was a bball guy right?  I thought maybe underwood or goodson was a PG also.

Yeah looks like goodson played guard at Gonzaga.

I think both Rollins and Goodson played in the tourney too. Tiquel? (sp?) no idea.

I never thought Rollins was a CB, there was something about him, just didn't feel quick enough, like he was smooth but never abrupt with his movement. That was my feel. 

EDIT: ******* Brandon Underwood, holy ****. That's a name drop, wiki says no bball. And no, Rollins seems to have never, Goodson, yes.

Edited by Norm

12 minutes ago, Norm said:

Rollins seems to have never, Goodson, yes.

Rollins played 4 years at miami ohio at PG and only 1 year of football.

Goodson played a lot more football but got started as a PG at gonzaga.  And it was back to back years... hope that scout isn't just a college bball fan submitting names to the draft board.

2 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Rollins played 4 years at miami ohio at PG and only 1 year of football.

Goodson played a lot more football but got started as a PG at gonzaga.  And it was back to back years... hope that scout isn't just a college bball fan submitting names to the draft board.

I didn't make myself clear, I thought both had played in the NCAA tournament, they both absolutely played college basketball.