Packers Training Camp 2019

packfanfb

41 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Generally not a good idea to read too much into coach speak, but with Pettine I feel like this means a little more than the usual.

The fact the rest of the quote was his opinion of him wasn't very high before this camp feels like it was a pretty honest statement to me. I could be reading into it too much but that made it feel like it was real talk.

First off, this has been the best debate on wisdom teeth/football I can remember. 

I can’t remember what my second point was.

oh yeah... good for Montravius. I had started to worry he had a little Khyri in him. 

On 7/23/2019 at 8:06 AM, HighCalebR said:

I think I might be the opposite. Thos year is carrying the lowest expectations I've had for so long. Hopefully thatll make this the most fun year to follow.

I'm ready for the process to get started and have football around again but I just dont feel like we're gearing up for any title contention.

I know my stress levels decreased when I stopped viewing GB football as "WE MUST BE THE BEST!" and more like a long-running tv show - "gee, I wonder what hijinks those scamps AR and Mark Murphy will get up to this season, and I'm curious to see how this addition of LaFleur to the cast works out!" 

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

You need to take a break from posting if you can't post without profanities.  If you want to continue down this path, you'll start receiving warnings.

we're all thinking it. he says it for us. it's a service he provides.

The truth is that deep down in places we don't want to talk about, we want @Outpost31 on that wall...we need @Outpost31 on that wall.

25 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I know my stress levels decreased when I stopped viewing GB football as "WE MUST BE THE BEST!" and more like a long-running tv show - "gee, I wonder what hijinks those scamps AR and Mark Murphy will get up to this season, and I'm curious to see how this addition of LaFleur to the cast works out!" 

Just ride the rollercoaster. I said not long ago to some people I'd rather see a season of scabs than a GB super bowl. It would be way more interesting to me. That did not go over well. 

I've seen GB win super bowls. But I haven't seen that lol

snippet from an older article at ProFootballWeekly on the scouting that takes place during TC

Usually during the first 7 -10 days of camps, most of the college scouts are in town meeting with the decision-makers as they prepare for the college season. At many NFL camps, the college scouts help evaluate their own team while in camp. A scout will be assigned a position to watch and then will write up each player in that position group before he leaves camp. These reports often go to the general manager, and those evaluations help the GM when he is in player meetings with the head coach.

In many cases, if a club's coaching staff has been around for a few years, the emphasis will be on the young players— especially the rookies. While the veterans still are being evaluated, the coaches know what those players can do. What they are looking for when watching the veteran player is if there is a significant drop-off in his play. This can be a difficult evaluation, as a veteran knows how to show he can still play. Coaches trust players who know and understand their assignments, so if a veteran player comes into camp and plays mistake-free football, even if he is losing some of his physical skill set, he can "fool" the coach into thinking he can still play. This is where a second set of eyes is needed to help the coach with the evaluation. That may be a scout or scouts from the pro or college scouting department and/or the GM and scouting director.

Many veteran players whose play is on the decline know how to get through camp without letting evaluators know their skill set is eroding. This can be dangerous for the club because that vet may play fairly well for a few games during the season, but as the season wears on their level of play drops off. That’s why many head coaches and general managers believe it is better to get rid of a player a year early than a year late. Keeping a veteran too long can cost you ball games!

On clubs that have a new coaching staff, the evaluation process is a little different for the coaches. Other than watch tape form the previous season, the position coach does not really know that much about the players in his group. With no pre-set opinions, the veteran player has to work harder in camp to show his new position coach that he can play. Often in new coaching situations, the first camp is a little more physical than others. The reason being is the staff needs to find out the talent level of all their players. It can be a lot harder for a veteran to “fool” a new staff.

With rookies, the process is a little different. Coaches know that they are new to the system and are often lost mentally at the beginning of camp. What coaches and scouts want to see is if the player improves every day. He has to always be ascending, so to speak. There will be a time when his play levels off. This happens with almost all rookies. What evaluators want to see is, after a few days of level play, the rookie starts to show improvement again at each practice. If that doesn’t happen, then the player has most likely hit his “ceiling” and it’s time to move on."

37 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

snippet from an older article at ProFootballWeekly on the scouting that takes place during TC

Usually during the first 7 -10 days of camps, most of the college scouts are in town meeting with the decision-makers as they prepare for the college season. At many NFL camps, the college scouts help evaluate their own team while in camp. A scout will be assigned a position to watch and then will write up each player in that position group before he leaves camp. These reports often go to the general manager, and those evaluations help the GM when he is in player meetings with the head coach.

In many cases, if a club's coaching staff has been around for a few years, the emphasis will be on the young players— especially the rookies. While the veterans still are being evaluated, the coaches know what those players can do. What they are looking for when watching the veteran player is if there is a significant drop-off in his play. This can be a difficult evaluation, as a veteran knows how to show he can still play. Coaches trust players who know and understand their assignments, so if a veteran player comes into camp and plays mistake-free football, even if he is losing some of his physical skill set, he can "fool" the coach into thinking he can still play. This is where a second set of eyes is needed to help the coach with the evaluation. That may be a scout or scouts from the pro or college scouting department and/or the GM and scouting director.

Many veteran players whose play is on the decline know how to get through camp without letting evaluators know their skill set is eroding. This can be dangerous for the club because that vet may play fairly well for a few games during the season, but as the season wears on their level of play drops off. That’s why many head coaches and general managers believe it is better to get rid of a player a year early than a year late. Keeping a veteran too long can cost you ball games!

On clubs that have a new coaching staff, the evaluation process is a little different for the coaches. Other than watch tape form the previous season, the position coach does not really know that much about the players in his group. With no pre-set opinions, the veteran player has to work harder in camp to show his new position coach that he can play. Often in new coaching situations, the first camp is a little more physical than others. The reason being is the staff needs to find out the talent level of all their players. It can be a lot harder for a veteran to “fool” a new staff.

With rookies, the process is a little different. Coaches know that they are new to the system and are often lost mentally at the beginning of camp. What coaches and scouts want to see is if the player improves every day. He has to always be ascending, so to speak. There will be a time when his play levels off. This happens with almost all rookies. What evaluators want to see is, after a few days of level play, the rookie starts to show improvement again at each practice. If that doesn’t happen, then the player has most likely hit his “ceiling” and it’s time to move on."

Sounds like Daniels didn't fool the new staff.

2 hours ago, Norm said:

Just ride the rollercoaster. I said not long ago to some people I'd rather see a season of scabs than a GB super bowl. It would be way more interesting to me. That did not go over well. 

I've seen GB win super bowls. But I haven't seen that lol

I switched from caring only about wins and losses the first year Rodgers went down with an injury. During the 80s we were bad and I wanted to win desperately. Starting in the early 90s we were really good and I wanted not to loss desperately. During that stretch when Rodgers went down I wasn't expecting much and the games were just highly entertaining. Found that much more enjoyable and have tried to stick with that attitude since.

25 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

I switched from caring only about wins and losses the first year Rodgers went down with an injury. During the 80s we were bad and I wanted to win desperately. Starting in the early 90s we were really good and I wanted not to loss desperately. During that stretch when Rodgers went down I wasn't expecting much and the games were just highly entertaining. Found that much more enjoyable and have tried to stick with that attitude since.

And I've been lucky the first NFL season I really can remember and name names is 1994. 

Maybe had I went through those days my outlook would be different 

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Sounds like Daniels didn't fool the new staff.

I don't think Daniels took a rep. They put him on the table, did the eval, had him sign he agreed he was healthy, and then sent him right up to Gute to deliver the news.

13 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I don't think Daniels took a rep. They put him on the table, did the eval, had him sign he agreed he was healthy, and then sent him right up to Gute to deliver the news.

I never felt he was the best fit for what Petrine wanted and maybe the staff before but you love having guys like him on your team. Also feel like his contracts came up at bad times for him during his career. Wish him all the best, he seems like a great all around guy and someone you can really root for. 

6 hours ago, Lodestar said:

Generally not a good idea to read too much into coach speak, but with Pettine I feel like this means a little more than the usual.

No, Pettine doesn't know what he's talking about... Adams is "trash". 

Archived