Packers Training Camp 2019

packfanfb

28 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Light looks good, Nijman and De Beer both seemed PS worthy to me. My guess is they'll stash one on the roster now and the other to PS. Either way, Spriggs was never going to be starting caliber. I wonder what that injury was, trap is an odd injury to see. 

Not surprised and don't be surprised if they sign a low cost FA veteran for the OL.

29 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

Spriggs released? Shocker...

I thought I read on here that you don't cut highly drafted guys on rookie deals...and that Spriggs could start as a low end tackle.

Guess it boils down to performance with this coaching staff and front office, which is fine by me.

The only time I thought Spriggs looked good in a game was when he played guard as a rookie and had a week to prepare for it.  Every other time, be it guard or tackle, he was a liability out there.  Maybe the light turns on for him.  Obviously it won't be here.

Too bad, that's a waste of a nice pick.  Thinking Whitehair went right after him, if memory serves.

After watching Rodgers' talk, you can tell the reason he didn't like having the Texans in is because it slowed down the install of the offense. Reading between the lines, he doesn't think running vanilla plays against the Texans is valuable when the no huddle hasn't been installed yet. 

I get it

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Rodgers just doesn't give a **** about showing a unified front with LaFleur. In a way, I get it, on the other hand, the offense has sucked basically the entire time. A bit of humility wouldn't go astray.

"I like the scheme," Rodgers said. "I mean, I do. I like the scheme a lot. I like the stresses that it puts on defenses, I like the marriage of the run game with the action. I like our concepts from both stack alignments, bunch alignments and from wide alignments. I think it's going to be very tough to get a bead on what we're doing.

"We do more under-center stuff, which I'm totally confident with and comfortable under center. I feel like that allows us to get some more one-high stuff as many defenses basically have checks -- if you're in the gun it's two-high, if you're under center it's one-high. I think it's going to allow us to open some more things up, get some one-on-one opportunities outside. Just this minor frustration is when you do so many fun, schematic stuff for eight or nine days and then it gets kind of cut back for a couple day. But we'll be on next week, probably playing, and looking forward to just practices."

schism!

The Spriggs thing is unfortunate.  I feel like the team did him a disservice in the end.  He needed to add a bit of weight coming out, but feel like they went too heavy with him and it was never his game.  He was all feet and athleticism, and the body they had him playing at took the special out of both of those.  He got marginally better at anchoring in pass pro and moving bodies in the run game, at the cost of losing of significant loss in terms of his feet and ability to play in space.  I get why they did it; when they drafted him Bahk wasn't signed and they had a possible need for a new LT, but after the new contract Spriggs was never going to start there in GB.  There's a real danger in taking a guy who has a bit of LT only in him and trying to make him a swing tackle.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Light looks good, Nijman and De Beer both seemed PS worthy to me. My guess is they'll stash one on the roster now and the other to PS. Either way, Spriggs was never going to be starting caliber. I wonder what that injury was, trap is an odd injury to see. 

I'm surprised we haven't seen more reps for Madison at T. He's a better G for sure but the snaps at center seem like a waste when we are deep there with Corey, Jenkins, Patrick and McCray. I think Madison moves well enough to handle the T spot in a backup role.

20 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

"I like the scheme," Rodgers said. "I mean, I do. I like the scheme a lot. I like the stresses that it puts on defenses, I like the marriage of the run game with the action. I like our concepts from both stack alignments, bunch alignments and from wide alignments. I think it's going to be very tough to get a bead on what we're doing.

"We do more under-center stuff, which I'm totally confident with and comfortable under center. I feel like that allows us to get some more one-high stuff as many defenses basically have checks -- if you're in the gun it's two-high, if you're under center it's one-high. I think it's going to allow us to open some more things up, get some one-on-one opportunities outside. Just this minor frustration is when you do so many fun, schematic stuff for eight or nine days and then it gets kind of cut back for a couple day. But we'll be on next week, probably playing, and looking forward to just practices."

schism!

You're supposed to say the positive stuff and skip the part about disagreeing with the way the coach is running practice on a day you lost two players.

I wouldn’t even dislike spriggs so much if there wasn’t an excuse for everything he does and doesn’t do from fans. I feel like I have to hate him with a passion to offset the fact that packer fans like him. He could call peoples moms 4 letter words and beat up their sisters and people would have a reason why the team did him wrong and it wasn’t his fault. No. Spriggs is a bad football player. 

20 minutes ago, boratt said:

I wouldn’t even dislike spriggs so much if there wasn’t an excuse for everything he does and doesn’t do from fans. I feel like I have to hate him with a passion to offset the fact that packer fans like him. He could call peoples moms 4 letter words and beat up their sisters and people would have a reason why the team did him wrong and it wasn’t his fault. No. Spriggs is a bad football player. 

I feel like a lot of people threw him him the garbage right away as a young player. I think he’s still good enough to make an NFL roster if healthy, maybe just not here anymore. 

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I thought I read on here that you don't cut highly drafted guys on rookie deals...and that Spriggs could start as a low end tackle.

Guess it boils down to performance with this coaching staff and front office, which is fine by me.

The only time I thought Spriggs looked good in a game was when he played guard as a rookie and had a week to prepare for it.  Every other time, be it guard or tackle, he was a liability out there.  Maybe the light turns on for him.  Obviously it won't be here.

Too bad, that's a waste of a nice pick.  Thinking Whitehair went right after him, if memory serves.

More like 3 wasted picks.  They traded their 2nd, 4th and a 7th to move up.  I  remember hoping that they'd moved up for Deion Jones and hated the selection when it happened.

Archived