Packers Training Camp 2019

packfanfb

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

There's been exactly zero indication that anybody else is being looked at to start at LG. 

Taylor and MVS both played one series. Should we be thinking MVS is also on the block?

Didn't LF just say in his presser that Taylor was in a competition for that job when someone asked why he played?

Edit:  

Green Bay Packers coach Matt LaFleur confirmed veteran Lane Taylor and rookie Elgton Jenkins are competing to be the starter at left guard.

Taylor, who has started at left guard each of the last three seasons, was only member of the Packers’ first-team offensive line to play during Thursday night’s preseason opener against the Houston Texans.

LaFleur said Taylor is competing with Jenkins to remain the starter.

“Yeah, that’s a competition. As long as that’s going to be a competition, we want to see those guys go at it,” LaFleur said Thursday night.

Edited by Cheech

1 minute ago, Chili said:

Because the coach is going to say, "nope, not a competition"? What does that say to Jenkins?

Taylor played one series at LG in the game. Jenkins played none. If there was competition to be had, they sure as hell didn't act like it.

Jenkins is going to be the interior sub, that's why he's playing every position.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Could you come up with a worse Edge/WR combo for 18 million than that duo?

Again, hindsight. Nelson was gone and Adams was all that was left. CM3 was a bad keep but not surprised considering Pettine was in year one. Gute has been pretty aggressive in the turnover if you ask me. LIS, he couldn't cut everyone in year one

Edited by cannondale

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Because the coach is going to say, "nope, not a competition"? What does that say to Jenkins?

Taylor played one series at LG in the game. Jenkins played none. If there was competition to be had, they sure as hell didn't act like it.

Jenkins is going to be the interior sub, that's why he's playing every position.

He could have said "Lane Taylor is our starter."  

Taylor played well, and I dont think he should be cut by any stretch this year, but that starting position is up for grabs.  I mean, all evidence - from the horses mouth and on the field supports the argument that Taylor needs to fight to secure that starting spot.  

1 minute ago, cannondale said:

Again, hindsight. Nelson was gone and Adams was all that was left. CM3 was a bad keep but not surprised considering Pettine was in year one. 

Isn't the ability to foresee player development what we pay GMs for? Half this board wanted those guys gone and a different set brought in. 

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Isn't the ability to foresee player development what we pay GMs for? Half this board wanted those guys gone and a different set brought in. 

Me included. Daniels and CM3 could both have been gone a year earlier. The main difference of opinion is the aggressiveness of the turnover of the roster. I don't think he could have gutted the entire thing in year one. You think we could have. I think he has handled it quite well.

Just now, Cheech said:

He could have said "Lane Taylor is our starter."  

Taylor played well, and I dont think he should be cut by any stretch this year, but that starting position is up for grabs.  I mean, all evidence - from the horses mouth and on the field supports the argument that Taylor needs to fight to secure that starting spot.  

Why would he say that? He wants Jenkins fighting for that spot. Hell he wants Taylor pushing for it. So long as there's any ambiguity at all, the coach is going to say it's a competition. 

Taylor played one drive, and was the guy they ran behind both times in short yardage spots. 

Wouldn't you switch Jenkins over to LG at some point if you wanted to see it?

Just now, cannondale said:

Me included. Daniels and CM3 could both have been gone a year earlier. The main difference of opinion is the aggressiveness of the turnover of the roster. I don't think he could have gutted the entire thing in year one. You think we could have. I think he has handled it quite well.

Cutting Matthews and Cobb isn't "gutting the entire thing"

1 minute ago, cannondale said:

Again, hindsight. Nelson was gone and Adams was all that was left. CM3 was a bad keep but not surprised considering Pettine was in year one. 

I can only imagine how insufferable this forum would have been 12 months ago had Jordy and Cobb both been released, leaving the WR group with Adams, an undrafted Allison entering year 2, and a group of day 3 rookies.

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Why would he say that? He wants Jenkins fighting for that spot. Hell he wants Taylor pushing for it. So long as there's any ambiguity at all, the coach is going to say it's a competition. 

Taylor played one drive, and was the guy they ran behind both times in short yardage spots. 

Wouldn't you switch Jenkins over to LG at some point if you wanted to see it?

Not sure why this is an argument when the coach literally said those two were in competition for it.

Jenkins played LG w/ 1s during practice against the Texans. Like you said it's likely Jenkins is the top interior sub this year, but the only starting job he can take is Taylor's. Case in point: the only starting OL to play in the game was Taylor, specifically because his job is up for grabs.

1 minute ago, deathstar said:

Not sure why this is an argument when the coach literally said those two were in competition for it.

Jenkins played LG w/ 1s during practice against the Texans. Like you said it's likely Jenkins is the top interior sub this year, but the only starting job he can take is Taylor's. Case in point: the only starting OL to play in the game was Taylor, specifically because his job is up for grabs.

Because you're not going to tell your subs that all the starting positions are taken when you've got a handful of them that may at some point be starter quality.

Taylor barely played. It was like 6 snaps

21 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Cutting Matthews and Cobb isn't "gutting the entire thing"

Cutting Nelson and Cobb would have been gutting the entire WR corps.

Cutting Matthews with no one behind him and injury prone Perry on the other side with no one behind him would have been gutting the entire OLB corps.

Edited by cannondale

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Because you're not going to tell your subs that all the starting positions are taken when you've got a handful of them that may at some point be starter quality.

Taylor barely played. It was like 6 snaps

And because maybe one is up for grabs. The only one who played in the preseason game.

17 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You're probably right but still lots of preseason left for things to change.

I was interested to find out the context. Was LaFleur asked directly if there was a competition which resulted in a PC answer or was the question more along the lines of "why did Taylor start when the starters were rested?" causing LaFleur to give the competition answer unprompted. The context gives a clue as to what's really is going on.

I watched the video (https://www.packers.com/video/lafleur-i-didn-t-see-any-big-eyes) and the question LaFleur was asked gave him the opportunity to give out a PC answer. Poor reporting from whoever asked that. The question should've been better phrased to illicit a genuine answer from LaFleur. 

Like you said actions speak louder than words and it appears Jenkins haven't been rotating with Taylor on a regular basis. He did start ahead of Taylor in one of the practices earlier in the week but that was about it.

Edited by Chili