Packers Training Camp 2019

packfanfb

14 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Obviously you're not aware. I've never made an argument about how good or bad of a signing Z Smith is or was.

I'm pointing out your major error in ranking contract values. You're just straight up wrong every time you say he's being paid like an elite rusher or anything similar to that.

He has the 28th most guaranteed money among edge defenders.

As the most recently signed one at that...

He's paid like a low-end #1.

I  can't find myself to focus on just guaranteed money when we just got done paying CM3 and Randall Cobb every last cent of their second contract.  CM3 was the highest paid LB in NFL history and still among the top 5 paid edge rushers as recent as 2017.  I'm sure if we were to focus on just guaranteed money, that deal would have looked like a bargain.  We got one double digit sack season a bunch of mediocrity for what was a record setting contract.  Cobb's contract was even worse.  He's been a top 10 paid WR in each of the last 2 years despite barely being worthy of starting.  He was a train wreck for his entire contract and he collected every last cent of it.  

We can leave this alone until Smith shows one thing or the other.  Use what ever you want to use to try to rationalize this as an amazing deal for Green Bay.

6 minutes ago, SSG said:

I  can't find myself to focus on just guaranteed money when we just got done paying CM3 and Randall Cobb every last cent of their second contract.  CM3 was the highest paid LB in NFL history and still among the top 5 paid edge rushers as recent as 2017.  I'm sure if we were to focus on just guaranteed money, that deal would have looked like a bargain.  We got one double digit sack season a bunch of mediocrity for what was a record setting contract.  Cobb's contract was even worse.  He's been a top 10 paid WR in each of the last 2 years despite barely being worthy of starting.  He was a train wreck for his entire contract and he collected every last cent of it.  

We can leave this alone until Smith shows one thing or the other.  Use what ever you want to use to try to rationalize this as an amazing deal for Green Bay.

That was how TT rolled.

It's Gute's roster now and he has proven to let guys go. With the talent poor roster he inherited, some guys had to stick around that probably didn't deserve to. You are trying to make conclusions during a transition. Can't be done

Edited by cannondale

2 minutes ago, SSG said:

The failure of the front office to get out of contacts with easy outs doesn't make the contracts themselves bad.

Gute gambled dead *** wrong on Clay Matthews last year. There was no guaranteed money left on that deal. We either could have spent that money elsewhere for last year or had 11 million more in cap space for this off-season. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Why would it be anybody else?

It could be McCray for all we know, maybe even Patrick or Madison. The fact Taylor was not rested in the Texans game when everybody else on the starting OL were was extremely notable. I'm just simply keeping a close eye on any developments.

Got my answer for when Turner returned to RG. Taylor stayed in whilst Jenkins  came out.

So far it looks like Lane Taylor still got a hold of the starting LG spot for now.

Edited by Chili

2 minutes ago, cannondale said:

That was how TT rolled.

It's Gute's roster now and he has proven to let guys go. With the talent poor roster he inherited, some guys had to stick around that probably didn't deserve to. You are trying to make conclusions during a transition. Can't be done

Did we forget last year? There was like 18 million in cap space to be gained by cutting Clay and Cobb. Both sat on this roster that Gute was overseeing.

• Like 1

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Did we forget last year? There was like 18 million in cap space to be gained by cutting Clay and Cobb. Both sat on this roster that Gute was overseeing.

On the surface with hindsight, agreed, but Gute had to field a team. He couldn't cut everyone. 

1 minute ago, cannondale said:

That was how TT rolled.

It's Gute's roster and he has proven to let guys go. With the talent poor roster, some guys had to stick around that probably didn't deserve to. You can't make any conclusions yet

I agree, it's too early to make conclusions.  Given that it was Gute that saw fit to pay those 2 guys in the last years of their contract Im not sure you can say he's proven to let people go.  Yeah he let go Daniels but you could argue that Big Mike would have been a much better deal than either Cobb or CM3 were last year. 

1 minute ago, Chili said:

It could be McCray for all we know, maybe even Madison. The fact Taylor was not rested in the Texans game when everybody else on the starting OL were was extremely notable. I'm just simply keeping a close eye on any developments.

Got my answer for when Turner returned to RG. Taylor stayed in whilst Jenkins  came out.

So far it looks like Lane Taylor still got a hold of the starting LG spot for now.

There's been exactly zero indication that anybody else is being looked at to start at LG. 

Taylor and MVS both played one series. Should we be thinking MVS is also on the block?

5 minutes ago, SSG said:

I can't find myself to focus on just guaranteed money when we just got done paying CM3 and Randall Cobb every last cent of their second contract.

I guess we are going to ignore the recent cuts of Sitton, Jordy and Daniels when they had time left on their deals?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Hopefully he learned his lesson about old players with big names.  What do you think he should do with Graham, because it sure seems like it is a  very similar situation.