The Milwaukee Brewers Thread - CY Burnes, 2021 NL Central Champs

ramssuperbowl99

17 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

The Cubs have lost 8 in a row (4 of which against the terrible Pirates and Reds).  In September.  When they theoretically could have made the playoffs still.  This has extremely little to do with the Brewers, and everything to do with the Cubs playing terribly.  The Brewers could have literally played .500 ball the past 8 games and still made up 4 games in the standings.  I know you guys want to paint yourselves as some scrappy, clutch David that took down Goliath, but it just didn't happen.  Goliath was wearing size 9 shoes on his size 15 feet and tripped, fell, and smashed his head against a boulder.  

You're usually not this salty, hrubes.  We're 20-4 in September, but you don't need to give us any credit if you don't want to.  :D

2 minutes ago, titanrick said:

You're usually not this salty, hrubes.  We're 20-4 in September, but you don't need to give us any credit if you don't want to.  :D

Haha.  No, the Brewers have had a ton of success this September.  I'm not trying to take that part away.  I'm just saying that they literally could have been playing .500 ball and the result in the playoff race concerning the Cubs would have been the same.  The Cubs played horrible, uninspired baseball when it mattered the most.  The rest of the teams in the playoff race merely needed to tread water while the Cubs hooked the anchor up and sank.    

This is unlike last year, when the Cubs actually played decent ball in September but the Brewers still went on a crazy run and caught up to them, and then ultimately beat them in game 163.  They directly impacted the Cubs in 2018 and were a huge part of their WC game exit.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

The Cubs have lost 8 in a row (4 of which against the terrible Pirates and Reds).  In September.  When they theoretically could have made the playoffs still.  This has extremely little to do with the Brewers, and everything to do with the Cubs playing terribly.  The Brewers could have literally played .500 ball the past 8 games and still made up 4 games in the standings.  I know you guys want to paint yourselves as some scrappy, clutch David that took down Goliath, but it just didn't happen.  Goliath was wearing size 9 shoes on his size 15 feet and tripped, fell, and smashed his head against a boulder.  

The Brewers are 18-2 over their last 20, I feel like that has something to do with it? It’s more like Goliath went down to one knee and David beat him to death with a club and then continued to beat him with said club for five hours after he was dead.

31 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Yep, you're right. It has nothing to do with a 20-4 stretch at all. Lol enjoy the golf. 

3 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Haha.  No, the Brewers have had a ton of success this September.  I'm not trying to take that part away.  I'm just saying that they literally could have been playing .500 ball and the result in the playoff race concerning the Cubs would have been the same.  The Cubs played horrible, uninspired baseball when it mattered the most.  The rest of the teams in the playoff race merely needed to tread water while the Cubs hooked the anchor up and sank.    

This is unlike last year, when the Cubs actually played decent ball in September but the Brewers still went on a crazy run and caught up to them, and then ultimately beat them in game 163.  They directly impacted the Cubs in 2018 and were a huge part of their WC game exit.  

You made an interesting point about reduced september roster sizes next year.  I think it does hurt us if we're eternally in this place of praying our iffy starter can last four innings.  Obviously they've pitched out of their collective minds this year (in September) but we can't rely on that every year.

2 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

So you don't think the Brewers winning 18 of their last 20 games has deflated the Cubs at all? If they played .500 ball, you still think the Cubs would have smashed their head against a boulder?? Maybe they would have, but I'm thinking the Brewers play (luck or not) definitely contributed to the Cubs' collapse. 

Edited by Klone1

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

Which of the 8 straight losses the Cubs have had that knocked them out of the playoffs were against the Brewers?  

And would they have been knocked out of the playoffs had the Brewers played the .500 ball they'd played all year?

You're taking this far too literally so quit trying to lawyer this up. We played red hot ball, y'all collapsed. In the end, it put pressure on the Cubs no matter what way you wanna slice it. If we play .500 ball all year, you guys are still in the thick of it. Y'all were 5 up on us and then we took 3 straight from the 6th to the 8th to cut it to 2. So, yeah, nothing to do with the Brewers at all. 

Take the L of a season and move on. 

Edited by beekay414

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

And would they have been knocked out of the playoffs had the Brewers played the .500 ball they'd played all year?

You're taking this far too literally so quit trying to lawyer this up. We played red hot ball, y'all collapsed. In the end, it put pressure on the Cubs no matter what way you wanna slice it. If we play .500 ball all year, you guys are still in the thick of it. Y'all were 5 up on us and then we took 3 straight from the 6th to the 8th to cut it to 2. So, yeah, nothing to do with the Brewers at all. 

Take the L of a season and move on. 

Not knocked out of the playoffs yet, but on the outside looking in?  Yes.  That's how bad the Cubs have been.  

And I absolutely have taken the L of a season.  Just a piss poor job all around by the organization.  I blame Addison Russell.  

1 hour ago, Malfatron said:

its just too bad the Cardinals play the Cubs, who have shut everyone down

I get the SPs being shut down, and the guys who are dealing with injuries (Rizzo, Javy, KB).  But I'm going to be unhappy if they bench the rest of the regulars this entire weekend.  Every win against the Cards is worth a potentially worse draft spot to me.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hrubes20 said:

I get the SPs being shut down, and the guys who are dealing with injuries (Rizzo, Javy, KB).  But I'm going to be unhappy if they bench the rest of the regulars this entire weekend.  Every win against the Cards is worth a potentially worse draft spot to me.  

yep, i know if the Brewers were in the same situation, id want to end the season with a sweep (brewers winning)

Edited by Malfatron

17 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

The Cubs could have played .500 ball and that wouldn't have been materially different than the Brewers playing .500 ball.

The Cubs collapsed and the Brewers went insane, which is why instead of a close race this is going to end with a 6 game ish lead for the Brewers. Saying it was one or the other is somewhere between incomplete and wrong.