The Milwaukee Brewers Thread - CY Burnes, 2021 NL Central Champs

ramssuperbowl99

All I can say is this hurts and yet it makes me excited about our prospects for 2020.  With everything that went wrong starting with losing Knebel and ending with Yelich's kneecap we still damn near made it to the NLDS.   Get those guys back and healthy and fill in a couple of holes and next year could be even better.

I think Hader deserves more of the blame than Grisham.  He was all over the place with his fastball and couldn't throw his slider for a strike.  Even if Grish fields that cleanly, we're tied at 3 and Hader would have still had to get one more out.  Can't hold a grudge for all he's done this year - it just sucked that he didn't have his A stuff in the biggest game of the year.

11 hours ago, titanrick said:

I think Hader deserves more of the blame than Grisham.  He was all over the place with his fastball and couldn't throw his slider for a strike.  Even if Grish fields that cleanly, we're tied at 3 and Hader would have still had to get one more out.  Can't hold a grudge for all he's done this year - it just sucked that he didn't have his A stuff in the biggest game of the year.

That's what happens when you overwork a power pitcher. Why tf were they using him for 6 out saves in April ? 

Get a real closer and use him like the Indians used Miller 

8 hours ago, N4L said:

That's what happens when you overwork a power pitcher. Why tf were they using him for 6 out saves in April ? 

Well, to be fair, one of our real closers was out before the season began and the other just lost it this year.  So before Pomeranz came along, who else would we trust closing out a playoff game?  And with a two run lead, you'd rather have a Hader mistake that travels 450 ft happen with no one on base, rather than bringing him into an inning that Guerra or Albers already made a mess of.

But I agree with you - I think using Josh more like they did in 2018 is the way to go.  If it's the 7th and the game is on the line, bring him in.  Have someone else man the 9th consistently.  Hopefully Knebel returns to form and can be that guy.

23 hours ago, N4L said:

Every closer has stinky games.  Hader didn't have his slider and his FB was all over the place.  CC should have had someone else up at the beginning of that inning just in case.  When it is do or die you can't take a chance.  By the time CC finally got Lyles get ready it was too late. 

I don't know if we would have fared any better against the Dodgers than the Nats did tonight.  We just didn't have the horses and the ones we had were riding on fumes.  I suspect  we expended a lot of energy physically and emotionally just to make that WC game.  We were in playoff mode for almost a month.  

Edited by Pugger

5 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Every closer has stinky games.  Hader didn't have his slider and his FB was all over the place.  CC should have had someone else up at the beginning of that inning just in case.  When it is do or die you can't take a chance.  By the time CC finally got Lyles get ready it was too late. 

I don't know if we would have fared any better against the Dodgers than the Nats did tonight.  We just didn't have the horses and the ones we had were riding on fumes.  I suspect  we expended a lot of energy physically and emotionally just to make that WC game.  We were in playoff mode for almost a month.  

The point I'm making is that the second paragraph is partly why hader didn't have his stuff. You guys over worked him all season. He was tired and you asked for 6 outs. That was asking too much. I bet he would have looked a little different if that was the 9th and he knew he only needed 3 outs instead of 6. Had to kind of pace himself a little bit. That's not the point of a closer 

Probably better to get that extra month off and come back fresh next year. I've always said they start spring training too early for playoff teams and that guys should get more time off if they play through October.

Look at the giants, we won the ws, missed the playoffs, won the ws, missed the playoffs, won the ws, missed the playoffs, then blew a 4 run lead in the 9th inning in game 4 of the nlds against the friggen Cubs down 2-1. We had cueto for game 5 and I honestly believe bochy should have kept the billy goat curse alive if he wouldnt have tried to use 6 pitchers to get three outs. The point I'm making is that sometimes these late postseason runs wear you out and it carries into next season. You guys played 2 months of playoff baseball last year too. You went 163 and had to catch fire to get there. It's baseball 

8 hours ago, N4L said:

The point I'm making is that the second paragraph is partly why hader didn't have his stuff. You guys over worked him all season. He was tired and you asked for 6 outs. That was asking too much. I bet he would have looked a little different if that was the 9th and he knew he only needed 3 outs instead of 6. Had to kind of pace himself a little bit. That's not the point of a closer 

How many outs did Hader get while having the lead?

Hint: less than 3

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

How many outs did Hader get while having the lead?

Hint: less than 3

Maybe I'm completely wrong, but I am thinking there is something psychologically different for a closer coming into the game in the 9th, than the 8th. Especially when you are a power arm that is tired after being overworked all season. these guys aren't robots

12 hours ago, N4L said:

Probably better to get that extra month off and come back fresh next year. I've always said they start spring training too early for playoff teams and that guys should get more time off if they play through October.

Look at the giants, we won the ws, missed the playoffs, won the ws, missed the playoffs, won the ws, missed the playoffs, then blew a 4 run lead in the 9th inning in game 4 of the nlds against the friggen Cubs down 2-1. We had cueto for game 5 and I honestly believe bochy should have kept the billy goat curse alive if he wouldnt have tried to use 6 pitchers to get three outs. The point I'm making is that sometimes these late postseason runs wear you out and it carries into next season. You guys played 2 months of playoff baseball last year too. You went 163 and had to catch fire to get there. It's baseball 

Most of this season Counsell rested Hader for often 2+ days If Josh threw so many pitches in a game.   There were times where we could have used him but our manager gave him the rest he needed.  We really missed not having Knebel.  Last year Counsell could use Hader in one game and then bring out Knebel the next night.

Edited by Pugger
  • Like 1

God forbid Pomeranz go back in in the 8th. First sign of trouble, then bring Hader in.

Instead Counsell already had everything predetermined. Pomeranz would pitch 2 innings and then Hader 2. He said so in the postgame presser. Maybe manage on the fly for once?