Bitcoin

BayRaider

Paul Krugman, another heavy hitter in the economics world, issuing a warning that sounds similar to Stiglitz's warning:

http://www.businessinsider.com/paul-krugman-says-bitcoin-is-a-bubble-2017-12?utm_content=buffer281cb&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer-ti

Am I biased towards believing it? Sure because it sounds a lot like what I was theorizing earlier in the thread. xD

22 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Paul Krugman, another heavy hitter in the economics world, issuing a warning that sounds similar to Stiglitz's warning:

http://www.businessinsider.com/paul-krugman-says-bitcoin-is-a-bubble-2017-12?utm_content=buffer281cb&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer-ti

Am I biased towards believing it? Sure because it sounds a lot like what I was theorizing earlier in the thread. xD

That dude clearly states he has no idea what Bitcoin is or why it could be useful... So it is kind of hard to take him seriously.

• Like 1

Just now, Heimdallr said:

That dude clearly states he has no idea what Bitcoin is or why it could be useful... So it is kind of hard to take him seriously.

tenor.gif

Guys, c'mon. When your response to multiple Nobel Prize-winning economists warning that there's a bubble is, "He doesn't get Bitcoin!" You need to reevaluate your stance.

Just now, jrry32 said:

Guys, c'mon. When your response to multiple Nobel Prize-winning economists warning that there's a bubble is, "He doesn't get Bitcoin!" You need to reevaluate your stance.

I'm not saying I disagree with him at all, he just doesn't seem like the most qualified person to comment.

The crypto market is not like stocks or traditional investments. You are investing and speculating on the technology, not the commodity. It is a technical discussion, not an economics discussion.

2 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I'm not saying I disagree with him at all, he just doesn't seem like the most qualified person to comment.

The crypto market is not like stocks or traditional investments. You are investing and speculating on the technology, not the commodity. It is a technical discussion, not an economics discussion.

Any investment is an economic discussion. As I said previously with Stiglitz, his (Krugman's) expertise on bubbles makes him qualified to comment on the characteristics of one.

Y'all have convinced me that Bitcoin has value, though, so I'm going to wait for the big crash before investing. ;)

Edited by jrry32

47 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

tenor.gif

it really doesn't even take a Nobel Prize-winning economist to see this. it quite obviously is on a bubble. 

the legacy of bitcoin will be introducing this new world of cryptocurrency to the general public. 

props to dudes making money on this right now though, can't even hate. took a lot of balls to buy this early enough to make substantial money on it. 

• Like 1

Just now, IrishGreen said:

it really doesn't even take a Nobel Prize-winning economist to see this. it quite obviously is on a bubble. 

the legacy of bitcoin will be introducing this new world of cryptocurrency to the general public. 

props to dudes making money on this right now though, can't even hate. took a lot of balls to buy this early enough to make substantial money on it. 

Agreed. I wish I had the balls back then. I heard about Bitcoin back when it was less than $100, and I paid it no mind.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pats#1 said:

I can't remember where I saw it, but an article was saying that while this huge increase in Bitcoin price/trading is going on, there is very little to practically no increase in the actually use of Bitcoin to purchase goods.

I did buy some Square Stock, as they are expanding globally and also working on allowing cryptocurrency transactions. 

But you're right.  I don't think Krugman is wrong, but bitcoin supply if finite.  Not sure how that math is taken into account compared to traditional commodities by Krugman...

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Eh, you would have sold it at $200, and if not at $500, etc. etc.

Very true for most people I think. Once you lock in a 100% profit, or even less for some, it's hard to not pull the trigger. More balls to hold than to initially buy.

18 minutes ago, Mossburg said:
23 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Eh, you would have sold it at $200, and if not at $500, etc. etc.

Very true for most people I think. Once you lock in a 100% profit, or even less for some, it's hard to not pull the trigger. More balls to hold than to initially buy.

IIRC, that's actually why most day traders struggle to do better than people who hold. They're too risk averse.