Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jsthomp2007

Training Camp Notes & Observations

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I heard Schlereth on First Take that Bolles doesn't have it between the ears.  He said he is a tremendous athlete but won't be in the long, because his head is all wrong.  From Schlereth to say that I am skeptical of Bolles at LT unless Munchack can work miracles. 

Thats always been the knock on him. The Bronco's certainly haven't helped in that respect. Our OL coach his first year was an idiot. Good OL coaches last year but a ridiculous offensive scheme, no QB and Max Garcia beside him. 

So, changes at OC, OL coaching, QB, and revolving doors on the OL in his first two years.

My hope is better coaching, better system, continuity and better personnel on the OL bounce him up a notch or two. Enough repetition and his slower than average comprehensiion ( is that PC enough?) shouldn't be a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AKRNA said:

So, this is what I'm talkin' about @lomaxgrUK. Chubb #82 on the NFL's best list. 

https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/bradley-chubb-voted-no-82-on-nfl-top-100-list

Thats exciting on a lot of levels.

If Bolles really is giving him a good battle just think what that will do for both sides of the LOS!

 

But is Bolles giving him a run for his money? I've heard nothing but defensive domination, including Bolles sacking Flacco himself at one point.

To be honest, I am just going off what I have seen on the field when it comes to Bolles. Regresses big time down the stretch every year. I think a lot of this is a) his inability to keep his weight and b) his technique failing him as the injuries creep in.

I wish I had your optimism for his future, but I don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any thoughts on how Winfree has looked? He has said to have been impressive. Although he sat out recently with a not too serious leg injury. Could we have found another diamond from Colorado with this pick?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Any thoughts on how Winfree has looked? He has said to have been impressive. Although he sat out recently with a not too serious leg injury. Could we have found another diamond from Colorado with this pick?

All Coloradoans are diamonds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Counselor said:

Any thoughts on how Winfree has looked? He has said to have been impressive. Although he sat out recently with a not too serious leg injury. Could we have found another diamond from Colorado with this pick?

We heard the same things about McKenzie etc. in OTA’s and early in TC before.   Partly because of what the early scrimmages focus on.  These 1 on 1 drills early on in camp and with 7 on 7 favor the receiver so much if neither guy is a special talent that it’s misleading.  I really need to see it vs. opposing D’s first. 

Edited by Broncofan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

But is Bolles giving him a run for his money? I've heard nothing but defensive domination, including Bolles sacking Flacco himself at one point.

To be honest, I am just going off what I have seen on the field when it comes to Bolles. Regresses big time down the stretch every year. I think a lot of this is a) his inability to keep his weight and b) his technique failing him as the injuries creep in.

I wish I had your optimism for his future, but I don't.

You know me, totally optimistic until the first game or two when reality takes over. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

We heard the same things about McKenzie etc. in OTA’s and early in TC before.   Partly because of what the early scrimmages focus on.  These 1 on 1 drills early on in camp and with 7 on 7 favor the receiver so much if neither guy is a special talent that it’s misleading.  I really need to see it vs. opposing D’s first. 

Of course. But Winfree actually has NFL size at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know that Bolles ever turns into the LT we hoped for when he was selected 20th overall.  However, he isn’t a bad OT, NFL average, which is actually pretty difficult to come by.  If Wilkinson is in fact better or close to as good as Bolles at LT, that’s a good situation for Denver as OL depth is always a terrific problem to have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, germ-x said:

I don’t know that Bolles ever turns into the LT we hoped for when he was selected 20th overall.  However, he isn’t a bad OT, NFL average, which is actually pretty difficult to come by.  If Wilkinson is in fact better or close to as good as Bolles at LT, that’s a good situation for Denver as OL depth is always a terrific problem to have.

I wouldn't call being a mediocre pass blocker and leading the league in holding penalties average.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

I wouldn't call being a mediocre pass blocker and leading the league in holding penalties average.

He’s better than a mediocre pass blocker.  No doubt though he needs to cut back on the penalties, but even with them he graded out as an average OT according to PFF.

Anyway, here’s a good article on Bolles from PFF about a month ago.

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-lt-garett-bolles-late-season-improvement-should-give-broncos-reason-to-hope-in-2019

I think if you only watch Broncos games you aren’t able to grasp just how bad OTs in the NFL are.  Again, Bolles isn’t a grand slam, but you can have far worse, half the league does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, germ-x said:

He’s better than a mediocre pass blocker.  No doubt though he needs to cut back on the penalties, but even with them he graded out as an average OT according to PFF.

Anyway, here’s a good article on Bolles from PFF about a month ago.

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-lt-garett-bolles-late-season-improvement-should-give-broncos-reason-to-hope-in-2019

I think if you only watch Broncos games you aren’t able to grasp just how bad OTs in the NFL are.  Again, Bolles isn’t a grand slam, but you can have far worse, half the league does.

PFF also has Trubisky as the 30th best QB in the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, germ-x said:

He’s better than a mediocre pass blocker.  No doubt though he needs to cut back on the penalties, but even with them he graded out as an average OT according to PFF.

Anyway, here’s a good article on Bolles from PFF about a month ago.

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-lt-garett-bolles-late-season-improvement-should-give-broncos-reason-to-hope-in-2019

I think if you only watch Broncos games you aren’t able to grasp just how bad OTs in the NFL are.  Again, Bolles isn’t a grand slam, but you can have far worse, half the league does.

Interesting article.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

PFF also has Trubisky as the 30th best QB in the league.

He was better than that?  If so not by much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, germ-x said:

He was better than that?  If so not by much.

I can think of more than 2 starting QBs worse than him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×