Mike Daniels released

Leader

I sort of get @AlexGreen#20's concerns about the 3-tech snaps as I share it to a degree myself, but I think I feel a little more strongly about the ability of Lowry to take those snaps.  Daniels's pass rush ability will be missed on a lot of snaps, I think there's no question about that.  But at the same time, I do think the run defense will be improved across the front if they play Adams/Lowry there, which should push the rates of pressure package use up this year.  I also think Lowry will play the 3 better in the pass rush than people think.  Despite his size I think his game plays best inside; quick feet are always a danger there because a single bad step and even if you recover you're giving up a pressure.  He's not going to be a star there, but I'd be willing to bet this is about a Sitton-Taylor fall off. Hurts, but not as much as you expect and in the end the savings are worth it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, persiandud said:

i am! lol 

but my point is, Daniels watching anime has no correlation with his performance as a football player. 

That’s what you think but sources close to the Packers organization confirmed earlier this offseason that Mike Daniels suffered his foot injury last year while practicing martial arts techniques he saw in an episode of Dragonball Z

5 minutes ago, persiandud said:

i am! lol 

but my point is, Daniels watching anime has no correlation with his performance as a football player. 

It's not the causation but there's certainly a correlation. 99.99999999% of anime fans would be terrible defensive ends in the NFL.

• Like 1

Just now, StartBarr said:

That’s what you think but sources close to the Packers organization confirmed earlier this offseason that Mike Daniels suffered his foot injury last year while practicing martial arts techniques he saw in an episode of Dragonball Z

tenor.gif?itemid=5319823

• Like 1

Just now, wgbeethree said:

It's not the causation but there's certainly a correlation. 99.99999999% of anime fans would be terrible defensive ends in the NFL.

lmfao 

but in all seriousness, there are plenty of guys in the NFL who watch anime or partake in nerdy hobbies. it doesn't matter 

7 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I'd say it's more 40/60 for pressure package vs not in today's game.

You're still in base a good 10-15% of the snaps, no worries with Lowry, Lancaster, Adams replacing Daniels there. He's more of a penetrator now than a guy that can two gap. Not much of a loss.

Really the areas to be concerned with now are when we are are playing smaller and a team runs the ball in an unfavorable running down, or more likely running downs when we have Lancaster/Adams/Lowry in and our opponents pass the ball. We're probably talking 20% of snaps that we can't match the play Daniels would have given us. Is that worth 10m? Not sure, but if that 10m can give us a Martinez and Clark extension I'm willing to see.

The post above you say it can't be Lancaster because teams pass 65% of the time and that'd be a dumb strategy, now you're afraid to get run on. Seems like you're seeking out a reason to worry to me.

When I say pressure package, I mean snaps where the DL has no run responsibility. They're pure, "pin your ears back and go" snaps. That still isn't 40%, and it definitely isn't with Pettine. We were playing Clark/Lancaster on some 2nd and longs and 3rd and mediums last year, which makes absolutely no sense. 

How is being concerned about both the run and the pass not a concern? Opposing offenses can do both.

29 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Now somebody explain to me how the timing of this move makes sense. 

GB got no cap savings if they released Daniels prior to him passing his physical. 

So it was either now or at the end of camp.  If they were indeed shopping him in trade, that likely gets back to Daniels and can have a ripple effect through the locker room.  

Doing it now

1.  gives others more reps.

2.  Maybe it sparks other vets that the job is not secure

3.  Allows Daniels to sign with another team

If you were surprised by the move, I am not sure you are going to accept much in reasoning to sway your view on it.

How does waiting to release him change things to a more positive view?

• Like 2

Doesn't matter what we think.  Obviously, Packer brass have their own thoughts why this occurred.  I liked Daniels but also think he was on a downhill slide.  Nobody has to explain to me how it makes sense right now ... the season will tell us if it was the right or wrong move. 

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

GB got no cap savings if they released Daniels prior to him passing his physical. 

So it was either now or at the end of camp.  If they were indeed shopping him in trade, that likely gets back to Daniels and can have a ripple effect through the locker room.  

Doing it now

1.  gives others more reps.

2.  Maybe it sparks other vets that the job is not secure

3.  Allows Daniels to sign with another team

If you were surprised by the move, I am not sure you are going to accept much in reasoning to sway your view on it.

How does waiting to release him change things to a more positive view?

1. I guess it gives others more reps, but this easily could have been handled by coaches. All it was is a conversation, "Hey man, you know this stuff, we know you're where you need to be with it. You're 30 years old, we're trying to keep you fresh for the season. The younger guys don't know it and need the reps. Please be patient with us and try and be a good mentor for them." You can't tell me Jason Spriggs and Cole Madison wouldn't benefit from seeing Daniels heavy hands a few reps per practice?

2. Everyone knew Daniels was a lousy scheme fit. Everybody knew Daniels was gone after next year if not this year. The math involved made too much sense. Who among our vets are you worried is going to be dogging it that is in some kind of financial situation to be bounced. It's not like Daniels got cut because he was doing the wrong thing, he was doing everything right.

3. Who cares about what Daniels wants? Do what's right for the team.

As far as the trade concerns, what makes you think it didn't already get back to Daniels when we were trying to trade him in the offseason? Mike Daniels knows damn well he's not a good fit in this defense. There's worse things that have happened than just being honest with the guy.

Waiting to release him offers you an insurance policy in case something bad happens:

Lowry/Adams/Gary suffers an injury

Gary/Adams look lousy in camp

Much like the Nelson release. If you can't scrounge up guys to get you 35 tackles and 3 sacks, you're in trouble already. Frees up money to go toward Clark contract. Easy peasy. He was relatively invisible for 3 years now. Unless he was another in a long line of guys paid premium money to not make plays.

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

1. I guess it gives others more reps, but this easily could have been handled by coaches. All it was is a conversation, "Hey man, you know this stuff, we know you're where you need to be with it. You're 30 years old, we're trying to keep you fresh for the season. The younger guys don't know it and need the reps. Please be patient with us and try and be a good mentor for them." You can't tell me Jason Spriggs and Cole Madison wouldn't benefit from seeing Daniels heavy hands a few reps per practice?

I think that is fine for a player that is in your long term plans.   But if GB was shopping g Daniels, and as you note below Daniels would know that, restrictions his reps likely pissed him off.  Now you have a locker room situation.

2. Everyone knew Daniels was a lousy scheme fit. Everybody knew Daniels was gone after next year if not this year. The math involved made too much sense. Who among our vets are you worried is going to be dogging it that is in some kind of financial situation to be bounced. It's not like Daniels got cut because he was doing the wrong thing, he was doing everything right.

See above.

3. Who cares about what Daniels wants? Do what's right for the team.

Maybe they did what is right for the team.  Because you have issues, does not mean it is not what is right for the team.  

GB has been pretty consistent in this area of letting guys go so they have a shot with more time.  That may carry more weight than we know.

As far as the trade concerns, what makes you think it didn't already get back to Daniels when we were trying to trade him in the offseason? Mike Daniels knows damn well he's not a good fit in this defense. There's worse things that have happened than just being honest with the guy.

See above, but the combo of limited reps + being shopped in trades = disgruntled player.  Why go that route?

Waiting to release him offers you an insurance policy in case something bad happens:

Lowry/Adams/Gary suffers an injury

Gary/Adams look lousy in camp

What if Davante does? Bahktiari does? Rodgers does?  Alexander does?

Where does your injury to a front line starter concern end?  

If Daniels is kept trough camp and released on the cut down day.  The injury aspect is still there.