53 Man Roster Predictions 2019 Edition

VonKarman

9 minutes ago, Norm said:

Lolno. Unless you're secretly that fat nerd who gets paid 13,000 dollars a year to tweet and pretends he's a sports journalist that made palmy leave.

Is that the story? I remember I saw someone posted what he said on this forum in an article.... is he officially gone? 

1 minute ago, JBURGE said:

Is that the story? I remember I saw someone posted what he said on this forum in an article.... is he officially gone? 

Not sure officially. But I'm pretty sure that's what made him leave. Sounds like it happened a few times and he kept calling him his "NFL source" 

10 minutes ago, Norm said:
13 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Not sure officially. But I'm pretty sure that's what made him leave. Sounds like it happened a few times and he kept calling him his "NFL source" 

That sucks. Palmy is a good dude, I hope he didnt catch any heat from that from his employer

Palmy is a great dude! Hope he posts now and then anonymously. Now regarding roster predictions, I am wondering if anyone has noticed the continuing number of free agent running backs the Packers continue to sign, as well as the fact the new guys are definitely heavier? Contrast incumbents Aaron Jones at 5-9, 208, and Dexter Williams at 5-11, 212, to new guys like Tra Carson at 5-11, 228; Darrin Hall at 6-0, 217 and absolute new guy Keith Ford at 5-10, 219. Is management/coaching looking for more durability or power to get a yard on third down? Or is it that they are still looking for a proper running back fit for LaFleur's outside zone system? I am wondering if Dexter Williams should be considered a shoe-in for the third halfback job.

On 7/31/2019 at 6:05 PM, CWood21 said:

I don't even think that's it.  I think the problem is people don't realize you don't cut players on rookie contracts.  The cap savings are minimal, and you're really not replacing them with someone whose clearly better.  You don't cut guys like Spriggs.

:)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Was Jason Spriggs easily down at the bottom of the depth chart?  I don't think so.

I think this waive/cut suggests otherwise. He was absolutely on the roster bubble at least in Gute's eyes. His hold on a roster spot was so precarious that he was cut for a JAG camp body just a week and a half into training camp, before any of the 4 preseason games even had begun. I had a gut feeling based on how he churned the roster over that Spriggs wasn't necessarily safe. Gute commented at the beginning of training camp how he is much happier with our OL depth compared to last season with the additions of Turner, Jenkins and Madison. By saying what he said he essentially implied he didn't think much of the backups we had on the roster last year and that put Spriggs right in the crosshairs.

I figured that realistically Spriggs would be safe because of this athleticism and potential fit for LaFleur's ZBS but I had such a low opinion of him I did not include him in my 53 roster prediction just for the hell of it. I was wrong but my prediction was actually closer to reality than I thought.

21 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Do the Packers save a significant amount of cap space?  No.

I agree with you on that.

The notion that "you don't cut players on rookie contracts" was propagated to rationalize the prior regime's approach to roster building.

Moving on from those who have not earned/do not deserve roster spots is the far, far wiser course of action, as evidenced by the franchise that has gotten rid of the following Day 1 & 2 picks over the past few years, while they were on their rookie contracts

2014 Round 1 Dominique Easley, released in 2016;

2015 Round 2 Jordan Richard, traded for a conditional 7th round pick prior to the 2018 season;

2015 Round 3 Geno Grissom, relased 2017;

2016 Round 2 Cyrus Jones, waived 2018;

2016 Round 3 Vincent Valentine, waived 2018; an

2017 Round 3 Antonio Garcia, released 2018.

5 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

The notion that "you don't cut players on rookie contracts" was propagated to rationalize the prior regime's approach to roster building.

Moving on from those who have not earned/do not deserve roster spots is the far, far wiser course of action, as evidenced by the franchise that has gotten rid of the following Day 1 & 2 picks over the past few years, while they were on their rookie contracts

2014 Round 1 Dominique Easley, released in 2016;

2015 Round 2 Jordan Richard, traded for a conditional 7th round pick prior to the 2018 season;

2015 Round 3 Geno Grissom, relased 2017;

2016 Round 2 Cyrus Jones, waived 2018;

2016 Round 3 Vincent Valentine, waived 2018; an

2017 Round 3 Antonio Garcia, released 2018.

You're advocating cutting guys you spent significant assets on to prove a message.  I stay that's a stupid idea.