BDL 2019 Summer Owners Meeting - Completed

SirA1

16 hours ago, SirA1 said:

Topic 8 - Only allow non signed players above $500 salaries with 1 year left on their contracts to be cut to prevent having to keep track of potential dead cap space.

Now open for discussion.

This is pretty much never done in practice but there isn't currently a rule preventing it. Basically if you've got a guy on a 2+ year deal that isn't locked on your roster you can't just cut them to open up a roster spot and then have to track the dead money into future years.

This would not apply to Sub $500 cuts obviously since they are removed from the roster.

32 minutes ago, Jlash said:

Yes, what bcb said is what I'm proposing. If you're going to cut a multi year player, you pay it all at once. Keeping track of multiple years of dead cap is a nightmare whether the sheet makes it easy or not, you have to look at owner turnover and hard it would be to get someone to take a team that not only needs work, but has ugly cap hits for years going forward.

The wording of the rule was bad, leading people (Ted mostly I think) to think we kept track of dead cap.

@SirA1 I would re-word proposal 8 a bit and then ask everyone to re-vote because I agree with what @Jlash is proposing (the bolded) but the way the proposal is worded I would probably vote no how the proposal is currently stated.

1 minute ago, Hockey5djh said:

@SirA1 I would re-word proposal 8 a bit and then ask everyone to re-vote because I agree with what @Jlash is proposing (the bolded) but the way the proposal is worded I would probably vote no how the proposal is currently stated.

Another option that would solve this is to make double and triple downs an all year and immediate transaction because essentially that would be the same thing and we could eliminate the other rule altogether.

Edited by Hockey5djh

1 hour ago, Hockey5djh said:

Another option that would solve this is to make double and triple downs an all year and immediate transaction because essentially that would be the same thing and we could eliminate the other rule altogether.

You can use double and triple downs whenever and the cap ramifications are immediate.

I'm likely just to allow Topic 8 to die and have us come up with a better version at the next meeting. I really think it's something the rules committee could arbitrate if things got out of hand.

21 hours ago, SirA1 said:
On 8/3/2019 at 5:31 PM, SirA1 said:

Topic 6 - 5th Year Options - Mirror 3 Ups in timing and value.Currently this.

• 5th Year Options (all year long)

• Option 1 - If a real life NFL 1st round player is tendered their 5th year option a team can match it at 100% without using one of their 3 Ups for the year if the player is a BDL UFA.

• Option 2 - If a team wants the can average the higher of BDL players Salary or their NFL Rookie Average with the total of the 5th year option and spread it over 2 years to satisfy the 5th year contract.

This has confused a lot of owners as well, as to the timing and value. Mostly it’s used by owners to save money on the back end and to get around having to free 3 up a player at 100%.

The change I propose is to remove Option 2 and just make the 5th year Option value 75% instead of 100%. This still gives you savings but it’s easier to implement. I would be fine with a rider with a contract matching option like 1 year 3 ups now have. This would compensate for originally giving up the 5th year you used to get from the BDL draft on BDL 1st rounders. 

Yes (9) - Whicker, Wwhickok, SirA, JLash, RuskieTitan, PR SwoleXmad, Hockey, Bcb

No (3) - Ragnarok, MD4L, TedLavie

@pheltzbahr @Counselor @WFLukic @bcb1213

Please someone either push this over the top or all vote no and lets try and wrap these meetings up.

Thanks

Edited by SirA1

28 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

I'm likely just to allow Topic 8 to die and have us come up with a better version at the next meeting. I really think it's something the rules committee could arbitrate if things got out of hand.

I mean we're still in the meetings. I don't think anyone has an issue with pay it all at once.  Let's just put it as number nine and I think it'll pass quickly 

3 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

I mean we're still in the meetings. I don't think anyone has an issue with pay it all at once.  Let's just put it as number nine and I think it'll pass quickly 

Come up with the phrasing and I'll put it up for discussion. Topic 8 wasn't mine so I was trying to convey what the intent was and it wasn't taken kindly.

6 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:

I agree with this. If it is reworded to reflect what Jlash intended it to propose I will change my vote to yes.

3 hours ago, SirA1 said:

Come up with the phrasing and I'll put it up for discussion. Topic 8 wasn't mine so I was trying to convey what the intent was and it wasn't taken kindly.

Who didn't take it kindly? I'm glad you even brought it up, after our initial messages you didn't seemed concerned about it, so I didn't even think id see it. I appreciate it.

3 hours ago, bcb1213 said:

When releasing a player(non 3 down/fa/sub 500 cut) , the team must pay the total duration of the contract money amount immediately 

I vote yes?

Lean towards no since it would induce tanking as you can get rid of a ton of bad contracts in one year using up all your space.

I would propose some mechanism kind of like real life where if you had a guy on a two year deal, you could cut him and pay the full amount this year and 50% the next year as a penalty.

Or 3 years could be 100% year one, 66% year two and 33% year 3 etc.

Anyway I vote NO