BDL 2019 Summer Owners Meeting - Completed

SirA1

1 hour ago, WFLukic said:

Lean towards no since it would induce tanking as you can get rid of a ton of bad contracts in one year using up all your space.

I would propose some mechanism kind of like real life where if you had a guy on a two year deal, you could cut him and pay the full amount this year and 50% the next year as a penalty.

Or 3 years could be 100% year one, 66% year two and 33% year 3 etc.

Anyway I vote NO

We are trying to stay away from dead money. Not make it a feature.

I vote yes.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

Big no for me for what Lukic has said

Current rule is fine. Sure we would keep track of cap space but that's not a big deal. And nobody ever does that anyway because of it. 

Yup. I actually did cut people last year and for that reason avoided doing so to anyone who had over a year remaining.

1 hour ago, TedLavie said:

Big no for me for what Lukic has said

Current rule is fine. Sure we would keep track of cap space but that's not a big deal. And nobody ever does that anyway because of it. 

Current rule is unclear, and we never agreed to have dead cap carry over. 

I honestly don't understand how anyone thinks having dead cap tracked and carried over is a good idea for a league who has had issues getting in its own way with complicating things.

14 hours ago, WFLukic said:

would propose some mechanism kind of like real life where if you had a guy on a two year deal, you could cut him and pay the full amount this year and 50% the next year as a penalty.

So you think having less of a penalty than the proposed rule, spread out over a longer period of time is somehow more conducive to keeping people honest in regards to roster management? Your idea is the opposite of the first part of your post.

If someone wants to cut a contract to open a roster spot, you should've have the foresight to save up cap space to make that move. The player still gets his full money. By not clearing up the current rule and thus deciding to carry over dead cap (and at a discount by your idea) we're not only complicating things, but also giving people an easier way out of an otherwise uncuttable roster spot.

28 minutes ago, Jlash said:

Current rule is unclear, and we never agreed to have dead cap carry over. 

I honestly don't understand how anyone thinks having dead cap tracked and carried over is a good idea for a league who has had issues getting in its own way with complicating things.

It's actually not a hard thing to do.  You just make dead money Martinez or whatever the guys name is in the sheets.  But it's something I'd rather we  not start doing for simplicity sakes