BDL 2019 Summer Owners Meeting - Completed

SirA1

On 8/3/2019 at 5:31 PM, SirA1 said:

Topic 6 - 5th Year Options - Mirror 3 Ups in timing and value.Currently this.

• 5th Year Options (all year long)

• Option 1 - If a real life NFL 1st round player is tendered their 5th year option a team can match it at 100% without using one of their 3 Ups for the year if the player is a BDL UFA.

• Option 2 - If a team wants the can average the higher of BDL players Salary or their NFL Rookie Average with the total of the 5th year option and spread it over 2 years to satisfy the 5th year contract.

This has confused a lot of owners as well, as to the timing and value. Mostly it’s used by owners to save money on the back end and to get around having to free 3 up a player at 100%.

The change I propose is to remove Option 2 and just make the 5th year Option value 75% instead of 100%. This still gives you savings but it’s easier to implement. I would be fine with a rider with a contract matching option like 1 year 3 ups now have. This would compensate for originally giving up the 5th year you used to get from the BDL draft on BDL 1st rounders. 

Yes (8) - Whicker, Wwhickok, SirA, JLash, RuskieTitan, PRm SwoleXmad, Hockey

No (2) - Ragnarok, MD4L

Edited by SirA1

1 hour ago, SirA1 said:
On 8/3/2019 at 2:31 PM, SirA1 said:

• Option 1 - If a real life NFL 1st round player is tendered their 5th year option a team can match it at 100% without using one of their 3 Ups for the year if the player is a BDL UFA.

• Option 2 - If a team wants the can average the higher of BDL players Salary or their NFL Rookie Average with the total of the 5th year option and spread it over 2 years to satisfy the 5th year contract.

This has confused a lot of owners as well, as to the timing and value. Mostly it’s used by owners to save money on the back end and to get around having to free 3 up a player at 100%.

The change I propose is to remove Option 2 and just make the 5th year Option value 75% instead of 100%. This still gives you savings but it’s easier to implement. I would be fine with a rider with a contract matching option like 1 year 3 ups now have. This would compensate for originally giving up the 5th year you used to get from the BDL draft on BDL 1st rounders. 

Yes (4) - Whicker, Wwhickok, SirA, JLash

No (2) - Ragnarok, MD4L

Yes to 6.

On 8/3/2019 at 1:22 PM, SirA1 said:

On 8/3/2019 at 1:29 PM, SirA1 said:

Topic 6 basically gets rid of one of the oddest rules for people to understand as well with the phrase higher of BDL Salary or NFL Rookie Average.

You will know well ahead of time which players have 5th year options and be able to get them at the same discount as a 3 Up without using a 3 up that year. I got this idea from when Footsy 3 Upped his 5th year option player in 2018. It seemed to work out well. I would like this to work exactly a 1 year 3 up like the franchise tag. Basically you can choose to extend the contract if the player signs a new deal that same year but aren't required to.

Again going forward BDL Rookies are only going to have 4 year deals. So this would also compensate a little bit of the loss from having those first round 5 year deals originally.

I'm leaning towards a no. I'm all for simplification but i'm also with Rags on rewarding owners who draft well. Option 2 gives owners a discount on players who were drafted later that ended up in the IRL first round. Also, if the "5th year option" isn't technically using one of your "3up"s, would you have to use a 3up to convert the contract under this new proposal? I feel like the intention here is good but I think maybe just a wording change would help.

9 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

I'm leaning towards a no. I'm all for simplification but i'm also with Rags on rewarding owners who draft well. Option 2 gives owners a discount on players who were drafted later that ended up in the IRL first round. Also, if the "5th year option" isn't technically using one of your "3up"s, would you have to use a 3up to convert the contract under this new proposal? I feel like the intention here is good but I think maybe just a wording change would help.

No it doesn't.  If you drafted them later they are on a three year contract and you probably erfa them through their fifth year option 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

No it doesn't.  If you drafted them later they are on a three year contract and you probably erfa them through their fifth year option 

Crap, I forgot we shortened those contracts to 3 years.

Still need an answer on this part though:

Also, if the "5th year option" isn't technically using one of your "3up"s, would you have to use a 3up to convert the contract under this new proposal?

5th year options have never taken one of your 3 ups to use and still wouldn't. They would have the same designation as now "5th year option" but you would get all the benefits of a 3 up to make all resignings line up the same. So there is only one way to do a contract and not rules for each different type.

On 8/4/2019 at 7:04 PM, SirA1 said:
On 8/3/2019 at 5:31 PM, SirA1 said:

Yes (8) - Whicker, Wwhickok, SirA, JLash, RuskieTitan, PR SwoleXmad, Hockey

No (3) - Ragnarok, MD4L, TedLavie

Edited 24 minutes ago by SirA1

@pheltzbahr @BringinDaPain @WFLukic 

Edited by SirA1