Training Camp 2019 - The Iconic Champion Awakens

brooks1957

7 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

What if Austin Corbett is projected to be our center next year?

I didn’t even really think about this, but we have a pretty veteran offensive line if Eric Kush is the RG.

If Corbett is our center next year and that was the plan Dorsey and co are playing 4d chess wrong.

If he is the center next year and he is good it redeems the pick. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

If Corbett is our center next year and that was the plan Dorsey and co are playing 4d chess wrong.

If he is the center next year and he is good it redeems the pick. 

Redeems it from being an absolute failure perhaps, but that’s about it.

If it takes 2 years and 2 position changes for a guy to see the field, somebody whiffed somewhere.

If a guy needs 2 years to develop as a C, he’s a day 3 pick at best.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Redeems it from being an absolute failure perhaps, but that’s about it.

If it takes 2 years and 2 position changes for a guy to see the field, somebody whiffed somewhere.

If a guy needs 2 years to develop as a C, he’s a day 3 pick at best.

Nonsense!  A quality starter after two years is fine, especially if versatile enough to play more than one position.

Many #1s don't make it at all.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, sonny44 said:

Nonsense!  A quality starter after two years is fine, especially if versatile enough to play more than one position.

Having to change positions twice because you couldn’t win the job doesn’t make you “versatile”.

And who’s to say he’s going to be a quality starter?  He’s getting beat out by a guy who (as I mentioned before) was signed on a one year deal and is playing for his 7th team after 5 previous cuts.  Should we just assume he’s a great center so we can feel all warm and fuzzy about the pick?

Thus far he looks like a bust.  And that’s ok, every GM has them.  Maybe he gets it together and proves to be a decent player.  Great.  Doesn’t make him a great pick at 33 overall if it takes him half his rookie contract to be serviceable.

37 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Having to change positions twice because you couldn’t win the job doesn’t make you “versatile”.

And who’s to say he’s going to be a quality starter?  He’s getting beat out by a guy who (as I mentioned before) was signed on a one year deal and is playing for his 7th team after 5 previous cuts.  Should we just assume he’s a great center so we can feel all warm and fuzzy about the pick?

Thus far he looks like a bust.  And that’s ok, every GM has them.  Maybe he gets it together and proves to be a decent player.  Great.  Doesn’t make him a great pick at 33 overall if it takes him half his rookie contract to be serviceable.

Part of why he was drafted was he can play more than one position. He’s in his second camp and barely got beat out by a vet. Big deal. Let him develop. If he starts anywhere next year it’s anything but a bust. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

Part of why he was drafted was he can play more than one position. He’s in his second camp and barely got beat out by a vet. Big deal. Let him develop. If he starts anywhere next year it’s anything but a bust. 

I mean, Tony Mandarich played a half dozen season respectably at guard, but that doesn’t mean he wasn’t a bust.

There’s nothing wrong with guys needing time to develop, but those guys aren’t taken that high (at that position anyway).

And this whole debate began around whether he’s a best *at this point* which I’m not sure is even debatable. Last year in camp it was Desmond Harrison who beat him out and now it’s OG Kush.  That ain’t great man.

38 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, Tony Mandarich played a half dozen season respectably at guard, but that doesn’t mean he wasn’t a bust.

There’s nothing wrong with guys needing time to develop, but those guys aren’t taken that high (at that position anyway).

And this whole debate began around whether he’s a best *at this point* which I’m not sure is even debatable. Last year in camp it was Desmond Harrison who beat him out and now it’s OG Kush.  That ain’t great man.

Kush is a solid vet. Corbett barely lost to Him.