What Is The Biggest Perceived Misconception About Your Team Heading Into The 2019-2020 Season?

stl4life07

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

That just sounds like they didn't get an offer they liked enough. 

I think it's less likely we see Shady traded because there's hardly any market for a RB at this point in the time.

Well yeah by that logic everyone is on the trade block then. 

My point being, Buffalo wants Shady and is using him as their number 1 back. It's very unlikely that changes. 

38 minutes ago, Danger said:

Holy vague shots in the dark batman! Why don't you actually give some reasons and/or supporting evidence to back your claim. Titans to me are somewhere between 7 to 10 wins (if everything goes right, they could be a wildcard)

Sure, for a few reasons. 

1) If(when) Mariota goes down again Tannehill will be a significant upgrade over our backups from years past in Gabbert/Cassell.

2) Our defense is at the very least a top 10 unit and I expect it to be even better going in to year 2 of Vrabel and Pees’ defense. Morgan and Orakpo both lost it and retired and I’m expecting Harold Landry to take a big step forward and Cameron Wake to be an upgrade in pass rushing situations.

3) Delanie Walker is back from missing all of last year. All indications point to him being completely recovered.

4) The light finally clicked on for Derrick Henry. I see no reason for him not to run this year like he did to close out last year.

5) The o-line got even better with the addition of Rodger Saffold. Lewan-Saffold-Jones-Pamphile-Conklin is atleast in paper, one of the better lines in the AFC.

6) Vrabel is a really good coach. It’s remarkable he had us in a win and your in game to close out the year when you consider the circumstances - Mariota was in and out of the line up leading to Blaine Gabbert playing a significant amount of snaps, musical chairs along the o-line nearly the entire season, Walker was our best player on offense and missed the entire season...I could keep going but that’s a slew of **** to throw at a first time HC and he answered the bell and had us in it right down to the wire.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

You don't need a #1 receiver when you're running the 4 verticals play every passing down. Just you wait. John Brown is about to have 32 catches for over 1000 yards. It's going to be fantastic. 

Damn, didn't know Josh Allen was going to throw it 40 times a game. 

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

I would say it is semantics lol

I wouldn't, but that's just me.

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

Does Buffalo have a dominant guy who keeps DC up at night. No. But they do have a guy who likely see's a bulk of the targets and has the ability to be what Lee Evans was in 2006. 

Then this ultimately isn't a misconception. He's absorbing targets, sure. But he's not altering gameplans in the way a #1 WR would - ergo, Buffalo doesn't have a #1 WR.

• Like 1

On 31/07/2019 at 6:43 PM, Shady Slim said:

that ben isn’t a good leader

he is not a great leader, by any and all means he’s probably got a bit too abrasive personality, and thinks that he’s the king - i would too if i’d won the superbowl twice - but he’s a good enough leader for the guys to rally behind him and ride the whole way to a championship, and i can say this without doubt 

Adding to this, a lot of people believe that the Steelers are still a mess in the locker room and it's all Ben Roethlisberger's fault, but this is all being proven false, slowly but surely.

The off-season became much quieter after the draft. There were no arrests, and no gossip over things said or done by current players on social media. The team is happy at training camp right now, and both the players and the Pittsburgh sports media have noticed. For starters, everybody's staying on campus at St. Vincent College this year. Nobody's renting an Airbnb house off campus. In addition, everybody's dialed in at practice, with no late arrivals for any activity, and a lot of early arrivals for every activity. This hasn't been the case in recent years. Overall, players are having fun in spite of the grind.

As for Roethlisberger, not only is he obviously happier, but he's bringing out the best in his teammates -- and his teammates have said so. Bottom line, if he was the problem for the Steelers in the last few seasons, then the vibe at training camp would still be negative, with a lingering,  palpable tension, and he wouldn't be inspiring anybody either. Ben Roethlisberger was never the problem, or the mood of the team would not have changed so much in such a short period of time, especially since he's still there.

The Steelers have been proving people wrong since March. With any luck, they'll continue proving people wrong for several more months ahead.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bullet Club said:

This sounds way more like the make excuses for my team thread. I imagine a lot of these things end up being exactly as the majority expect.

No, alot of times the narrative the national media spins on a team is completely off base. In the case of the Broncos though they've been pretty accurate until proven otherwise though. 

• Like 2

On 7/31/2019 at 6:03 PM, Thomas5737 said:

That Mayfield isn't a good passer. He just looked bad because he got zero 1st team reps in camp/preseason/season and came in a game right before half and didn't have an offense built for his strengths and then they changed the offense after 4 or 5 weeks of starting when a new HC and offensive coordinator took over. With a full offseason he should look better.

Oh wait, he already looked good. Ignore me finding excuses for his play.

be honest...by the time he retires if baker doesn't give you guys 10 playoff wins, 3 AFC championship game appearances and a superbowl, how mad are you gonna be? seeing as flacco did that with the ravens in his time here...and the reason we watch sports is to see our teams be successful and win important games...say baker retires top 5 all time in passing but finishes his career like 8-8 in the playoffs with no superbowl...who's side would you have rather been on? cause i'm pretty confident baker will never reach those post season marks so it'll be interesting to hear you spin this ahead of time. and don't divert like you always do, answer the question. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

be honest...by the time he retires if baker doesn't give you guys 10 playoff wins, 3 AFC championship game appearances and a superbowl, how mad are you gonna be? seeing as flacco did that with the ravens in his time here...and the reason we watch sports is to see our teams be successful and win important games...say baker retires top 5 all time in passing but finishes his career like 8-8 in the playoffs with no superbowl...who's side would you have rather been on? cause i'm pretty confident baker will never reach those post season marks so it'll be interesting to hear you spin this ahead of time. and don't divert like you always do, answer the question. 

Well I wasn't having a Flacco versus Mayfield conversation but I'll take my chances with Mayfield over Flacco. Sure, I may regret it because Flacco has a championship and Mayfield may never get one but Mayfield appears to be going in the direction of a better than average QB and Flacco was that for maybe 2 years.

Kudos to Flacco being hot and extremely lucky in his playoff run. Many times it could have gone the other way but it didn't so he earned what he got even if he barely completed half (or did he even reach that?) of his passes during that run. Same With Cam Newton's great year, he was a monster, still he is a below average passer overall.

I'll take my chances on Mayfield being a consistent good QB over Flacco who could get hot and do damage but 9 out of 11 seasons his rating being in the 80s or lower.

18 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Well I wasn't having a Flacco versus Mayfield conversation but I'll take my chances with Mayfield over Flacco. Sure, I may regret it because Flacco has a championship and Mayfield may never get one but Mayfield appears to be going in the direction of a better than average QB and Flacco was that for maybe 2 years.

Kudos to Flacco being hot and extremely lucky in his playoff run. Many times it could have gone the other way but it didn't so he earned what he got even if he barely completed half (or did he even reach that?) of his passes during that run. Same With Cam Newton's great year, he was a monster, still he is a below average passer overall.

I'll take my chances on Mayfield being a consistent good QB over Flacco who could get hot and do damage but 9 out of 11 seasons his rating being in the 80s or lower.

yea so youre a stats guy over a championship guy lol suspicions confirmed. some people watch to see their team win others watch to talk about completion percentage of QBs who won superbowls lol hope you see all the yards you're yearning for!! best of luck ;)

you can "take your chances" all you want when it comes to watching baker, ill take the memories of my favorite team succeeding and winning a championship. maybe you'll one day enjoy the same - but i doubt it :(

Edited by Ray Reed

Just now, Ray Reed said:

yea so your a stats guy over a championship guy lol suspicions confirmed. some people watch to see their team win others watch to talk about completion percentage of QBs who won superbowls lol hope you see all the yards you're yearning for!! best of luck ;)

No, I'm a I'll take the better player guy. If I could have Flacco, a below average QB or Mayfield who looks like he may be an above average QB I'll take what looks to be a better QB. If my team would win 1 championship in 11 years with Flacco I'll take my chances that I'd get at least that with Mayfield. Pretty simple really, I'll always take the better player. Not taking Flacco over Dan Marino either, odds are Marino will win you more championships but sometimes odds are beaten. I'm still taking them.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

No, I'm a I'll take the better player guy. If I could have Flacco, a below average QB or Mayfield who looks like he may be an above average QB I'll take what looks to be a better QB. If my team would win 1 championship in 11 years with Flacco I'll take my chances that I'd get at least that with Mayfield. Pretty simple really, I'll always take the better player. Not taking Flacco over Dan Marino either, odds are Marino will win you more championships but sometimes odds are beaten. I'm still taking them.

na don't sugar coat it if you'd rather have had marino over flacco you're taking stats over championships lol own it dude it's all good. some of us are football guys and some of us are get me stats for my favorite team so i can argue about football  more effectively online guys. it's gucci brah just own it

1 minute ago, Ray Reed said:

na don't sugar coat it if you'd rather have had marino over flacco you're taking stats over championships lol own it dude it's all good. some of us are football guys and some of us are get me stats for my favorite team so i can argue about football  more effectively online guys. it's gucci brah just own it

Why don't you root for the Patriots if you are really just about championships? I'll take a century of Kizer before a century of winning every championship and being a Raven fan. So no, I don't want your below average cast off QB over my own upstart QB who was better as a rookie than Flacco ever was in any season.

Also why don't you still have Flacco who is a "proven winner" over your sophomore QB? Do you wish you did?