What Is The Biggest Perceived Misconception About Your Team Heading Into The 2019-2020 Season?

stl4life07

6 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Why don't you root for the Patriots if you are really just about championships? I'll take a century of Kizer before a century of winning every championship and being a Raven fan. So no, I don't want your below average cast off QB over my own upstart QB who was better as a rookie than Flacco ever was in any season.

Also why don't you still have Flacco who is a "proven winner" over your sophomore QB? Do you wish you did?

because i'm from maryland bro lol you root for your hometown team to win as much as possible that's why you watch sports...or at least that's why we watch sports around here idk maybe if ohio is full of fans like you that's why the browns haven't felt compelled to win in 3 decades

and because i'm not the gm dude lol yea i'd love to still have flacco but the winning stopped so we went in another direction...at least i had that run of success as a fan tho...maybe one day your favorite team will get to the winning part of that football life cycle...

Edited by Ray Reed

23 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

because i'm from maryland bro lol you root for your hometown team to win as much as possible that's why you watch sports...or at least that's why we watch sports around here idk maybe if ohio is full of fans like you that's why the browns haven't felt compelled to win in 3 decades

and because i'm not the gm dude lol yea i'd love to still have flacco but the winning stopped so we went in another direction...at least i had that run of success as a fan tho...maybe one day your favorite team will get to the winning part of that football life cycle...

Oh, we have the Buckeyes and we've witnessed the Cavs winning a title and our NFL team (Cleveland) has 8 championships, winning isn't lost on us. We've stumbled since the devil went up to Maryland but we're getting back, it just took a long time. You have every right to be scared and bring up silly arguments, it's all you're going to have for a long time.

10 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Oh, we have the Buckeyes and we've witnessed the Cavs winning a title and our NFL team (Cleveland) has 8 championships, winning isn't lost on us. We've stumbled since the devil went up to Maryland but we're getting back, it just took a long time. You have every right to be scared and bring up silly arguments, it's all you're going to have for a long time.

yesss yessss...the silly argument of....watching sports with the goal of seeing your team win...for sure lmao that's the silliest!

and cool man you can recite your history but we all know you didn't live and enjoy those browns chips haha you're aching for nfl relevance and i don't blame you! must have been a loonnnng lifetime my brother watching that football team over there. cheers...here's to another offseason winner being disappointed come real football time 

don't think there are any huge misconceptions about the vikings, but i think dalvin cook is very underrated. he was leading the league in rushing as a rookie before he tore his ACL and then started slow/had a small injury last season whilst coming back from his ACL tear.  

once he came back he had a terrible offensive line and an offensive coordinator who didn't believe in running the football but still managed 517 yards in 8 games on 97 carries (just 12 carries a game). that's good for 5.3 yards per carry, 

this is an example of what he can do, especially the last play (his second TD of the day):

Tough one for me.  Most criticism of the Niners is fairly warranted, in my opinion.  On paper, this team looks a LOT better than it did 2-3 years ago.  But, a lot still needs to be proven. 

Jimmy G needs to play a full season to see what we really have in him.  Injuries, overall, have got to be minimized.  With a vastly improved(on paper, of course) defensive line, we'll hopefully get an idea just how bad/good our secondary is.  Did Kittle get so many yards because we were getting blown out and the defense let up later in games?  We'll see, I guess.

I guess for the Raiders it would be that we're pretty talentless, have an egomaniac for a coach and a bunch of players who quite possibly have severe mental issues!

Though it's yet to be proven on the field, I think that we actually have a decent amount of talent especially on offence. Carr I think has been underrated for the past couple years while playing with injuries and an average to terrible (last year) supporting cast. The OL looks good player wise (though coaching may be suspect) and the interior should have 3 Pro Bowl calibre players, the tackles appear to be looking good early in TC. We have a top notch pair of WRs with some decent depth and while our RB is a rookie we have capable backups that have produced in their capacities in the recent past.

Defensively, we're relying on 2nd year players improving and a rookie top 5 pick along the DL with some big run stoppers so it's not unlikely that we will improve quite considerably there. At LB we have a mix of unheralded young players and a couple of savvy vets that may or may not be washed up. The defensive backfield looks the best it has been in a long, long time with safety being a potential strength so we should be pretty competitive. I'm not expecting to win the division but we certainly won't be the walkovers we were last year and I do expect us to split games with the Chargers and Chiefs even though they look very good rosters. 

I'm not going to argue the second point, we'll just have to see :D

As for the 'misfits' we'll have to keep a close eye once the real action gets underway, but Incognito has been quiet thus far and earning praise from the coaches for his conditioning, attitude and leadership of all things, Burfict hasn't head hunted anyone in TC yet and knows the defensive scheme inside out so could be a very valuable signing with his familiarity with the coaching and schemes being used, by most accounts he's QBing the defence. Antonio Brown whilst missing lots of first team practice has yet to upset anyone's apple cart and seems to have a good connection with Carr, he went out of his way to get accustomed to Carr and he clearly has a great work ethic but one does question if the team comes first with him. The proof will be in the pudding of course and if the season starts off poorly we could see how they perform when the pressure comes on. So far, I think the media has overblown the potential issues whilst looking for sensationalism, Incognito and Burfict are on 'prove it deals' and know they're probably at last chance saloon and AB is the only real worry but he's been pretty impressive.

• Like 1

I haven't really heard anything about the Bengals other than that they're going to be really bad.

Honestly i don't think they're going to be great, or even good.  But most predictions have them picking top-5 (so 5 or less wins).  I'd be sort of surprised though.  A lot depends on health obviously.  But consider they won 6 games last year with a crap defense and Jeff Driskel starting 5 games. 

I think they probably win 7 games, and finish 3rd in the division.  So some fan base is going to be surprised/let down finishing behind the Bengals.

That the Falcons are not being taken seriously as a SB contender this year for some reason.  Its essentially a better version of the SB team from 2016 (with more weapons on offense and a defense that should be top-10 like they were in 2017 before all the injuries) and Matt Ryan seems to have really hit his peak now.  The team suffered incredible misfortune early on last year and never could recover losing 8+ starters for the season but what was lost on the 2018 Falcons' season was that Matt Ryan essentially matched his MVP numbers from 2016.  If he does that again this season (and the defense doesn't all get injured again) I don't see any reason why Atlanta shouldn't be a favorite to be in the NFCCG or SB again in 2019...

1 minute ago, megatechpc said:

That the Falcons are not being taken seriously as a SB contender this year for some reason.  Its essentially a better version of the SB team from 2016 (with more weapons on offense and a defense that should be top-10 like they were in 2017 before all the injuries) and Matt Ryan seems to have really hit his peak now.  The team suffered incredible misfortune early on last year and never could recover losing 8+ starters for the season but what was lost on the 2018 Falcons' season was that Matt Ryan essentially matched his MVP numbers from 2016.  If he does that again this season (and the defense doesn't all get injured again) I don't see any reason why Atlanta shouldn't be a favorite to be in the NFCCG or SB again in 2019...

It's hard to say Ryan has hit his peak... his peak was likely his MVP season. You guys haven't gotten really anything from your edge rushers since that year either, which is a shame. I like the Falcons a lot and expect them to make the playoffs, but a lot will depend on the pass rush which wasn't where the injuries were last year if I am not mistaken. 

Pass rush is definitely a concern (probably THE biggest concern) for this team so I'll give you that one.  Still, when your entire secondary and LB corps is injured you really don't have much time as a pass rusher to get to the QB because guys were just running down the field wide open all season.

I will push back on Matt Ryan though.  Just look at the stats, he basically had the exact same season as he did in 2016.  That gets lost because the team was so terrible early on (though they finished strong).

8 minutes ago, megatechpc said:

Pass rush is definitely a concern (probably THE biggest concern) for this team so I'll give you that one.  Still, when your entire secondary and LB corps is injured you really don't have much time as a pass rusher to get to the QB because guys were just running down the field wide open all season.

I will push back on Matt Ryan though.  Just look at the stats, he basically had the exact same season as he did in 2016.  That gets lost because the team was so terrible early on (though they finished strong).

Fair or unfair, a player who has a great season with a losing record is often under the radar, unless that this player plays in a big market like Dallas, New York or other place.

• 3 weeks later...

This thread was created just so you could vent on those two points :D

For us; that we get all the calls. This comes from frustration that we're always winning in the playoffs, and you've had enough of it. When we get the first call go our way in a game, the easy and most common response is 'oh what a surprise, the Pats get the call', when in reality, it's swings and roundabouts as it is for all teams. No one pipes up when Edelman got decked off the ball, or Brady got spun and floored by Donald late, or the countless times Gronk got held - if you actually add it all up, it's probably about average or above average. 

That we turn scrubs into all-pro calibre players. In reality, we take a player who wasn't used correctly in a previous team and just get him doing what he's good at ONLY. It's much easier to look good when you have a limited role confined to what you're good at. And it doesn't always work - Shea McClelin for example.